Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you chose a great cat for a pet?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Ms Darcy
    I think I can tell which is which. So cute!
    Hahah my mama soppee is the one who has turned to the side. He often looks at me adoringly.

My cream tabby, well he is a talker. Every night when we turn out the lights he needs " invited" to get into his bed or he will " talk" until that happens. He also chirps when pet.

My two black cats if anybody comes over they will run for the basement but after a while they will slowly creep up to take a look. My cream cat he will just stay up and rub himself all over people. But the only person who can pick him up is me. If anybody else tries to pick him up he will tear them apart.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    And the other black cat he opens clothes cupboards and dressers and throws the clothes all over the floor. He opens food cupboards and throws out dishes and food. All simply because he would like to know what is at the back of the cupboard. He also runs under your feet on stairs and grab that your legs from under the bed.

OP, your post comes across a bit like a shopping list, which concerns me. No animal is ever going to fit a shopping list of your wants, needs, and preferences. You are getting a living breathing creature with a mind and a will of its own. That means that they won't always act how you envision, want to be petted when you want to pet them, and each relationship is going to be unique and different. When you take on a pet, any pet, you take on whatever quirks and personality traits they bring with them.

Having said that, the best connection is going to be the one where the pet picks you. Let the animal come to you rather than you rushing to them. Often in adoption situations, people come in excited and come at the cat/dog and that will cause them to back away. You are breaching their personal space without an invitation and just like you would be taken aback if a person did this to you, animals will also react negatively. They will either run away or even retaliate with a bite, hiss, scratch, etc. They see your excited approach as aggression and bad manners. So when first meeting a potential pet, be sure that you are in a calm state of mind, enter the room quietly and then let them come to you. Be patient. A critter who likes you will approach faster than one who doesn't. When the cat does approach, make sure that you stay quiet and patient, don't reach down to immediately pick him up or pet him. You are still strangers so give him time to smell, introduce himself and kind of invite more contact. If you pick them up prematurely, you can get scratched or bitten or both. Even the boldest cat will bolt if you breach what animals consider proper manners and a breach of their personal space and boundaries. So be calm, be patient, let them come to you and then be patient and polite and let them invite more contact.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    OP, your post comes across a bit like a shopping list, which concerns me. No animal is ever going to fit a shopping list of your wants, needs, and preferences. You are getting a living breathing creature with a mind and a will of its own. That means that they won't always act how you envision, want to be petted when you want to pet them, and each relationship is going to be unique and different. When you take on a pet, any pet, you take on whatever quirks and personality traits they bring with them.

Having said that, the best connection is going to be the one where the pet picks you. Let the animal come to you rather than you rushing to them. Often in adoption situations, people come in excited and come at the cat/dog and that will cause them to back away. You are breaching their personal space without an invitation and just like you would be taken aback if a person did this to you, animals will also react negatively. They will either run away or even retaliate with a bite, hiss, scratch, etc. They see your excited approach as aggression and bad manners. So when first meeting a potential pet, be sure that you are in a calm state of mind, enter the room quietly and then let them come to you. Be patient. A critter who likes you will approach faster than one who doesn't. When the cat does approach, make sure that you stay quiet and patient, don't reach down to immediately pick him up or pet him. You are still strangers so give him time to smell, introduce himself and kind of invite more contact. If you pick them up prematurely, you can get scratched or bitten or both. Even the boldest cat will bolt if you breach what animals consider proper manners and a breach of their personal space and boundaries. So be calm, be patient, let them come to you and then be patient and polite and let them invite more contact.
    I have to say that's true our cream cat picked us at the Humane Society. He was purring ,sticking his feet out of the cage miaowing. Doing everything to say pick me pick me pick me. And that's the one that my husband loved.

And when he got home into the basement he went for a week before he would come up. He was very nervous. We also found out a bit of his history he had three other owners by the time he was 11 months old and also had spent time as a stray. And to this day he does carry anxiety. Because as a very very young kitten he was returned to the society three times and had spent a few months as a stray all before he was a-year-old. So he does have some situational anxiety and separation anxiety. But at the same time he's an incredibly loving cat.

[Register to see the link]

This is Stevie (I hope this worked lol).

We got her from friends that we used to house sit for. She was about 3 when we got her and we THOUGHT we knew her personality. Every time we house sat, she was very aloof and non social. She kind of did her own thing and occasionally approached us for petting. We figured she would fit our lifestyle as we are both busy people and maybe wouldn't be able to devote as much time to a needy cat.

She seemed perfect.

Then we took her home lol.

She is SO SO SO needy and affectionate. She is friendly and CONSTANTLY wants to be pet, purrs, and sits on laps. We joke that we got the wrong cat because she is completely different in our home than she was in theirs (and we have known these people for a while and house sat for them often).

We don't mind that she's super friendly. We love our kitty but you have to keep in mind that the pet you see might not be the pet you get. Environment is a huge factor. Stevie was aloof in the other home because they had two other cats and a dog for her to contend with. Here it's just us (and now a baby).

Sometimes you need to take a risk. I wouldn't trade Stevie for anything.

Oh, what beautiful little sweeties they are!! Thank you.

Thanks J-Man, and hello Comanche. Such a cutie, relaxing by the tv. (BTW, nice tv set too!)

Thanks. Cute little kitties you've got there. "Xena" was one of my favorites growing up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice