Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you chose a great cat for a pet?

Aww. What a lovely cat, JMan. Sweeeet.

Platinum Member
    My cat (who was SUPPOSED to be my kids' cat but somehow ended up with me ) was (and is) very timid. She hid from everyone at the adoption event. Except, when my son approached her cage she went up to him and rubbed her chin on his hand. So, I too think she "chose" him. And he fell in love with her.

She has very gradually warmed up. She now climbs into my lap, but it took about 4 years before she'd do that! She is less timid and more trusting. And for some reason she loves repairmen. Flirts shamelessly with them, although she hides when other company comes over.

So yes, cats can take a while to warm up. But while they are not as social or typically "loyal" the way dogs are, they love their people and tend to want to spend time cuddling with their companions.

Neutered male. Go to a shelter and play with the kittens. Let one choose you.

Platinum Member
    No such thing as a great cat. Get a dog instead.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Personally I prefer male cats. Neutered male cats are very loving I have found. Like I said I have three neutered male cats and they all get along very well.

The thing about cats is that it's almost impossible to know in advance how they will behave, once in your home. They are pretty fragile creatures really, they need time to adapt to places/people and trust, very few cats would just come out of their kennel and rub themselves off people they don't know.
    I have had cats all my life, and have a couple currently, and I have never had a cat I didn't get along with. I never got to choose any of them, I either found them abandoned in boxes as kittens (ranging from one day old to 2-3 weeks old), or they chose me (one of my current cats showed up in my back yard 4 years ago and forced himself in my house, giving me no choice but to adopt him lol).
    Barring a few exceptions, like the cats you see on "My Cat from Hell", most cats are great, they have their own unique personalities and given time, they are easy to work with and love. Some will love being handled and held and will be all over you no matter what you do, some will be more stand offish, some will purr more, some less, some will bite, some won't, but I don't think there is a way to know what's going to be until you have lived with the cat for a while. It's the luck of the draw really

"The Tiger in the Parlour".

A great documentary about or dear domestic moggies.....

[Register to see the link]
    Xena, Warrior Princess

[Register to see the link]
    Macy (Peepers)

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    Personally I prefer male cats. Neutered male cats are very loving I have found. Like I said I have three neutered male cats and they all get along very well.
    I prefer males too. The ones I've known are quirky and confident.
    I have two girls right now. They lean more to the timid, neurotic side

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    [IMG] ]

These are two that I adopted from my vet three years ago. My vet also does animal rescue. They are a pair of polydactyly twin brothers. One is very cheeky brash gets into a lot of trouble because he's too curious for his own good. The other is very shy timid and only loves mama.
    I think I can tell which is which. So cute!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice