LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 68697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    I am negative including all my other roommates except the Spanish girl. Strange isn't it?

Anyway, the newspaper published the photo I posted before.... Yay :)
    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Originally Posted by maritalbliss86
    Wow gorgeous sunset! These journals are awesome - you regulars are fascinating to read about (Love Jilbralta's anxiety thread!!!). Love how you help each other with random everyday stuff.
    Thanks :) Yeah we are like a virtual cafeteria here or what we call in Greece free therapy session haha

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    I am negative including all my other roommates except the Spanish girl. Strange isn't it?
    Actually when I wrote this, one of my roommates was still waiting for the results. I assumed it would be negative as he does not have any symptoms whatsoever but he is in fact positive. So 2 out of 5 are positive, how is it possible the rest 3 not to be? I think it's a matter of time since we live together. I am very healthy I am not immune though. Hopefully when I get it I won't have any symptoms. I can handle the fever but the loss of taste and smell...? If I can't smell and taste my coffee, popcorn, yogurt and chicken what is left in this life?

Taking gorgeous photos and getting published? :)

I hope you stay healthy. Fingers crossed for you.

Originally Posted by dias
    I can handle the fever but the loss of taste and smell...? If I can't smell and taste my coffee, popcorn, yogurt and chicken what is left in this life?
    I know. But from what I understand, it does come back. Don't worry.

Congrats on having yet another photo published!

Platinum Member
    Sometimes I think I am the unluckiest bastard in the world when it comes to jobs. Iíve been looking for a Data Engineer/Scientist job since my BSc 5 years ago and still canít get into the field. Itís the only niche in the IT sector I like. I have to start from the bottom again despite my experience, fair enough, thatís not the problem. I lowered my standards and Iíve been applying to junior positions again and still get rejected. What gets on my nerves is that I have all the necessary university degrees (BSc and MSc) and experience for this position. There are so many people with less qualifications who get the jobÖ damn.. it pisses me off.

It seems the only way to success for me is through my own business. I have wasted so many years studying this stupid stuff (5+) and the return on investment is negative. Certainly I wonít go to the university again in my next life, waste of time, money and most importantly effort.

Certainly I am thinking about a career change in this life though.

Platinum Member
    I asked for feedback in order to know what the reason was. The feedback was assignment->pretty good, interviews->pretty good, the hiring manager liked someone else more....

I spend so much time and effort for these interviews, the technical tests are pretty difficult and then the preparation for the interviews, just to let you know the hiring manager liked someone else's face more. I don't know if it is worth it...............I could be investing the same time and effort into something else... even travelling the world is way better investment than this...

Platinum Member
    I had to make some interview videos for a job in London. It's for a data engineering position, I really want this job, it's a very good consulting company. They told me they received 800+ CVs for this position. Damn, how many people have BSc and MSc in Computer Science or Statistics? I mean, even if 50% of the applications is noise, we still have about 400 CVs left. Let's say, 100 applicants out of 400 pass all the technical tests and interviews, I still have only 1% chance. This is competition, no kidding. It's like throwing a bone to a pack of wolves, the "best" one will get it, survival of the fittest indeed.

I came to Athens a couple of days ago, the company does not allow us to work remotely from another country, hopefully they won't find out.... I needed some sun and to get away from my covid infected roommates who started working again (they work in retail).

I already got some colour. I have the most typical Greek facial features.

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Platinum Member
    I talked to bro an hour ago, he dropped a bomb suddenly. "I am getting married tomorrow" he looked at me waiting for my reaction since he knows my opinion about marriage haha.

Because I am against marriage myself and I don't believe in the institution of marriage, it doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy for him. I told him that's great, she seems a great gal (looked very confident and a go-getter on the MIT zoom meeting I watched a few months ago), they should have kids too. The best man is a professor of medicine at one of the top US universities and the bridesmaid is doing a PhD at Harvard. Good stuff, he knows how to make connections. At least one of us is successful. The downside is I alone have to bear the stigma of the eternal bachelor.

The funny thing is, my mother was more excited than my father who lost his words for a few seconds hahahaha. I expected it but I didn't know when. Really happy for him.

My mother commented ďyou (to bro) go to the church voluntarily, dias needs an extrovert go-getter girl to drag him to the churchĒ hahahaha no I am not that difficult, all I want is a kinky woman with a yacht. I am pretty simple and thrifty lol.

My lovely grandma always wanted us to get married and have children, she so wanted great grand children. They couldnít get married 5 months ago? She would have been beyond elated, she would have left at peace. Unfortunately, as we all know you need a storm to see the rainbow, one life comes to an end another one begins....
    Last edited by dias; 10-26-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Platinum Member
    The British girl from work flames Amazon and Jeff Bezos all the time on Facebook. She regularly makes posts against capitalism and rich people etc. She is not the first one and she will not be the last one.

I watched this documentary

So letís analyse it a bit. I think there are two main parts we have to focus:

1) How some companies become so huge and how some people become so rich from a customerís perspective. Now that I have launched an app* I have a bit better understanding about how this ďthingĒ(market/consumerism /marketing/sales etc) works. Consumers create the big companies. Consumers have the power especially in the initial stages of a company. Period. This is something most people would never understand.

A small parenthesis:
    Successful products are successful for three reasons: a)solve a problem-improve peopleís lives-save money-save time** etc b)marketing and sales. These two factors always co-exist. The better the product the less marketing you want, the lousier the product the more marketing you want etc c)timing. Timing is a huge factor too. Some people can judge the situation better than others, call it charisma or whatever, also luck is involved a lot.

Back to the customers. For instance, if everyone switches from Apple to other companies Apple wouldnít have the monopoly anymore. Or if people didnít order from Amazon, Amazon wouldnít be the mammoth it is now. Consumers make the billionaires, they donít magically appear and rule the world. The same common people who make rich people richer complain about rich people. This is the oxymoron of this whole thing. I know some could claim there is no better alternative, well itís a free world, everyone can create a better alternative. Not that easy, is it?

Probably itís human nature talking Ė trashing everything we canít have/achieve ourselves. I pondered what I have written about Apple, this was hypocritical of me. Apple wants monopoly and complete market control. In their shoes, I would want the same. Everyone would want the same, itís nature. My point though was that consumers have way more power than they think.

2) The entrepreneurís perspective. First of all, timing and luck play a catalytic role on the success of a company, notably when we are talking about innovative new products. It is like shooting in the dark. Unicorn companies are just a few, maybe the 0,000000000000000000001% of the existing companies. Human factor is very important, however, for big things all the planets have to align.

Letís see the human factor now. There is a difference between just being rich (millionaires) and being extremely rich (billionaires). You can run 3 successful restaurants and be a millionaire, you can be a doctor and be a millionaire, you can be a software engineer and be a millionaire, you can be a salesman and be a millionaire. However this is completely different than the business magnates at the top of Forbes list. They disrupt the market, they change the status quo and shape the future. This is not about money, many businesses make money but they donít move the civilization forward. I think itís difficult to apprehend how competent some people are. Jeff Bezos is like a contemporary John D. Rockefeller. Look at the past of this kind of people, they are extremely gifted individuals, they are very risky and bold, they have good judgment, they are relentless, they experiment a lot, they make mistakes, they dedicated their lives on this like monks etc etc. If you compare them with us the mere mortals the difference is from here to the moon. The majority of people never even try, they are just passengers, they follow the pre-determined path and thatís it. How hypocritical of us to judge these gifted individuals?

At the end of the day, we didnít come to this world for holidays, itís about survival of the fittest. Apparently I donít like thinking like this when I get rejected at interviews but this is how it is in reality.

By the way, I mention entrepreneurs all the time because itís my thing. I admire all the great people. I admire great politicians, great soldiers, great generals, great scientists, great athletes, great artists, I admire greatness in general.

*Yesterday whilst I was expecting a call for an interview a restaurant manager from Liverpool called me asking about the app and how to create an account etc. She hasnít created the account yet and maybe she wonít, nonetheless, when people call you asking about your product that must mean something. Maybe there is a small market segment with potential there, maybe I have to go back to the streets and try harder than last time.

**Another thing I noticed is that the difference between wants and needs is relative. Yesterdayís wants are todayís needs. 50 years ago TV was not a need but today it is a need. Fridges were not essential, people could continue storing food like they had been doing thousands of years. Today we canít live without a fridge. The conclusion is, first you need to push the product until it becomes somewhat popular, then the consumers will determine whether this product is useful or not. If itís useful the demand will increase, if it is not the product will be squeezed out of the market. However, in the initial stages it seems you have to push it and become really annoying until people use the product. Itís definitely not an easy thing to do. I donít like pushy salesmen but now I can see why they are so pushy, it canít be done otherwise.

Platinum Member
    Random thought 1

I did a sh*t-ton of cardio yesterday. I ran for 1,5 hours on the mountain (many slopes) in moderate/fast pace, I did pause a few times for 30 seconds or so but overall it was a pretty decent workout. I havenít run that much since I was 18. I am rediscovering running :) I am pretty sore today, I canít even walk. It was definitely worth it though, it will become a staple of my training from now on.

Random thought 2

Today is the first day of winter in Athens. Itís cloudy, rainy and windy. I donít like it, if the weather is like this I prefer to be in Liverpool. Ideally the perfect combination is six months in Greece the summer time and 6 months in England in the winter. My paternal grandparents had figured it out. They spent half the year in Greece and half the year in Poland, you get the best of both worlds. I donít think I can do the same at least not until I become a pensioner which is never as I want to work till I am in the ground.

Random thought 3

I canít go out, I am too exhausted to lift weights today, I think it will be a cheat day. I am between 2 large dominoís pizza or 6 gyros. Hmm, difficult quandaryÖ.

Random thought 4

I think I am overdoing it with training, itís not normal to spend 5 hours working out every day. I do it because this lockdown has f*cked everything up and I have to spend my energy somehow. Itís better than staying at home and eating all day long. Itís not that I do not enjoy it, itís the fact I need to cut down a bit and invest time in something more productive.

Random thought 5

Hopefully I passed this round of interviews for the job in London. Itís a really really good opportunity. Yes this would be an actual career, there is a lot of potential. God please give me a break, I wonít disappoint you.

Random thought 6

I think we will be having a training in the office in December, I still have plenty of time to spend here, I will get bored by then hahaha. Itís really bizarre when I am here I ďmissĒ England when I am there I ďmissĒ Greece (grass is greener syndrome apparently). Stupid ungrateful human nature. I will be the first one to complain to Saint Peter when the time comes. And I have a big list of complaints, he will have an earful hahahahaha

Random thought 7

I met some friends from school these days. They followed the predetermined path and in my eyes they do nothing. Thank God I left. I donít get it, they donít have any dreams, they are not inquisitive to see what is ďout thereĒ? I mean staying in the same place all your life seems so depressing in my eyes. There is a whole planet with countless countries, cultures, people, beautiful landscapes etc how can you not wonder what is on the other side of the planet? No curiosity whatsoever? Living in a different country is not for everyone, if you prefer comfort and ease over adventures and whammies do not move countries. Nowhere is perfect and nowhere people are waiting for you. Nonetheless, the perspective you gain is priceless, you see life through completely different lenses.

Random thought 8

ENA is a female dominated forum which is fine but I believe the opinions are biased. Like when you are on a male dominated forum where most guys claim that all women are gold diggers and s. I rarely reply on the threads but I would say I mostly disagree with what is being said. And the wording of some members is something else haha. If I could choose a member that my opinions align the most if MissCanuck. She seems very practical and simple person. I appreciate people who can do 1+1 and do not overanalyse things. Or maybe I am saying this because my opinions align with hers hahaha

Random thought 10

I am not so certain the espresso coffee machine was a good purchase. The machine itself is great, however, ground coffee is not that much better than instant coffee and is a lot more expensive. Plus, it takes more time to make it which is annoying.

Random thought 11

Why do I have a feeling I will end up spending my life in London? London is pretty good if you make good money though. Anyway, who knows what the future holds?

Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 68697071727374 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice