Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Congrats on the acceptance and good luck with your studies!

I read a book about that Stanley Milgram experiment called, "Obedience to Authority." It's a short read. Really interesting, and scary.

Platinum Member
    Thank you Jibralta

Yeap scary experiments indeed.There are many "terrible" experiments, like the notorious Stanford prison experiment. I read only brief articles about these experiments though , I don't really like going into details.Just to learn what conclusions have been extrapolated.Generally, behavioral psychology is a really interesting field.

Platinum Member
    It’s my birthday today. 25 years on this planet. Hmm… I haven’t achieved what I wanted to have achieved till now but I made a lot of progress towards my goals. We live we learn fortunately.

I am reading Julius Caesar, one of Shakespeare’s plays. Yesterday I read the part describing the philosophies(way of dealing with life) of Julius Caesar, Brutus and Cassius.

Julius Caesar’s philosophy: He seemed to compare himself with Gods, able to control his destiny and not the opposite.
    Brutus’s philosophy: Stoicism. Stoicism was a tenet supporting that universe was completely rational and guided by fate and therefore one must accept whatever happens with a strong and tranquil mind. Stoicism encouraged a man to be centered in his intellect while suppressing his instincts.
    Cassius’s philosophy: Epicureanism. Epicureanism promoted the idea that freedom from physical pain and mental trouble was the goal of a happy life. Unlike the intellectual center of Stoicism, Epicureanism supported that knowledge was derived from the senses.

Many schools of thoughts…

If we follow Caesar’s philosophy we could say that we should push the limits in order to achieve what we want .Only by pushing the limits we can control our destiny.
    Stoicism is to be rational, accept the hard reality and act accordingly.
    Epicureanism is to follow your instincts and your innate passions.

The thing is, both of these three theories are valid in some cases and erroneous in other cases.
    Speaking for myself only, I believe that sometimes you have to push the limits, sometimes you have to let things be and have patience and sometimes to follow your instinct and intuition.

I lack patience, it’s my weakness. I push my limits and I push situations in order to make things happen but sometimes it doesn’t go really well. Actually it goes pretty bad sometimes. And this is where I hinder my progress…

Platinum Member
    Why do I have such a weakness for beautiful women? I cannot stop thinking about petite model-ish women. It’s not only about sex, I just like touching, kissing, licking and admiring a nice female body. Starting from behind the ears till the calves. Kissing her shoulders, her neck, her back, the curve above the butt … Is there a pleasure greater than this?

Dimples of Venus: I had to google to learn how they are called in English. These dimples are incredibly sexy but it's difficult to find girls having them...I need to search more!

Platinum Member
    I have work to do for tomorrow but I feel a bit sick and I am bored as hell. I will stay at home doing nothing today except eating of course .I haven’t had a cheat day for several weeks now so it’s ok.

Next week I will visit my maternal grandmother in North Greece. My brother will come too. I haven’t seen him for almost a year and we haven’t talked a lot on Skype… I don’t even know how he is going with his PhD. He was also seeking employment the last time we talked. California is always on his mind since his first visit there. A good chance for me to meet Californian girls ^^. I hope they are commensurate with their fame.^^

Although we are brothers and we have so many things in common and our thinking is almost the same, I am always surprised how different our taste on women is. I mean we have completely different taste. I get that forming a relationship goes beyond looks but I am talking about completely different definition of beauty. Girls I find really ugly, he finds them ok. Girls I find attractive and are objectively attractive, he doesn’t even notice them. We will never fight over a girl, that’s for sure ..Hahahaha

Platinum Member
    When the first 6 months passed the manager told me "We should talk". Normally the first six months is the evaluation period. Ok I replied. I knew I learned almost twice as much as the normal graduate + I am a self-starter, hard worker and I don't need supervision. So I visited him the next week and I told him” I am waiting for my evaluation”(smiley of course). He averted his eyes and said"well I don't have time this week, I will call you the next week". While I was opening the door to leave he asked me "Are you nervous about the evaluation?". "Not at all" I replied. He never called me in his office but in the next wage I got 200 euros more. And in the seventh month plus 30. The normal junior developer gets 850(after taxes, insurance etc) . I am at 780 now. Well this is not a serious salary but 800 could be considered a salary in Greece nowadays.

What I inferred is that you have to demand what you deserve otherwise they will exploit you. The thing is, when the unemployment level is 25% you can't push the limits a lot. In the IT sector, companies are lucky regarding the aspect of hiring capable scientists and programmers. Today, we hired a mathematician with an MSc in computer science from Oxford. Companies can choose whoever they want for petty money. And we are talking about top scientists and engineers(some of them speak 3-4 languages), not unskilled laborers....Anyway, I am learning who I am and what my strengths and my weaknesses are and I demand what I deserve, I am not going to wait for anyone to tell me how much I value.

The company is building a new department for data science and business analytics. I told the manager that I want to go to this team since I am very interested in the field. He was glad I mentioned this to him as they will need people who can take the initiative. That's great if I get transferred.

The next step would be to open my own company or to get a salesman position in the IT field. The first one is really difficult because I don't have any experience with start ups and I don't have any guidance. I will need to find colleagues in order to make a team and go to an investment fund( and all of these will be happening while working full time.(and if we get a subsidy...).I am open to work 24/7, but I am not open to start a company with 4-6 people. I mean what would be my share?15%. The investment fund will take 10-30%. Hmmm... On the other hand as a salesman I will learn the market and obtain a different approach on things.(but how can I find a job as a salesman in IT.. it’s not easy).

Platinum Member
    I was searching for someone on fb and the name of a girl I met once came up. She was from England and came for a year as an au pair in Athens. We met a couple of times. I showed her the university, walked in Acropolis, though she knew the streets better than me near the Acropolis(lol). She was young,18 at the time, and she also loved travelling. We wanted to visit the same destinations in the USA, in south Africa, in Australia, in Denmark... She has a recent picture where she is in North Dakota.

I cannot describe what I feel when I see friends travelling around the world and I am stack here, in this ing cesspool spending 2 and a half hours in traffic everyday.F**k. I want to be in nature again, I want to feel tranquility and serenity again. But if I leave my work for travelling now, my career is done. This is the case when you want to have both things but the reality only leaves you one choice. Sometimes life sucks.....

Platinum Member
    What a beautiful sunny day! After this long period of cold weather, snow and working out with minus two, it’s a real delight.

I want to write something but I am completely devoid of words and thoughts. I think I have become getting complacent with my job. I feel “apathy” towards life again. This is when I know that it’s time for some change. I like changes, I get bored easily. I want to do many different things until I settle down to something-which is what I really want.

I know that someday I will hit the road without even realizing that I quit my job. I see families at the supermarket with kids and I freak out. I don’t want this tedious life, I can’t handle it. There is no excitement, just days similar to the previous. Work, arguments with the wife, kids crying…No, I prefer to die alone, no problem with this, not at all.

Platinum Member
    I love southern American movies, they rock. I watched Hell or High Water, very quality southern movie, maybe the best movie of the year for me. I also like Mud and the True Detective series with Matthew McConaughey.

I am always wondering though, can all these forlorn, wretched, despicable figures exist in reality? I have so different upbringing that I can’t believe that in the US there are so impoverished people loitering around. We have fiscal crisis in Greece but when I watch these films I wonder who is really poor in the end. In NY, southerners have a bad reputation but even though I have never been to the South I am pretty certain that I would like it more than NY. I have talked with many Greeks that have visited/lived in the US but most of them visited/lived in California, Washington from the West side , NY, NJ, Massachusetts from the East side and Florida from the South.None of them was inquisitive enough to visit Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma. The next time I will visit the US, the first state I will visit is Texas. I don’t need a Visa if my stay in the US is until 3 months but I have a tourist Visa for 6 months that can be updated if it’s needed just in case. My teachers at school used to call me a tourist, I guess they were right .

Platinum Member
    It’s been a while since my last post but the website went “live” the previous week and I was extremely busy. I think I am starting to hate my job… Very long hours, weekends, some night shifts and never get paid for the extra hours. I also have to spend almost three hours in traffic. I wake up at 6:20 am, I get back at 8:30-9pm and I sleep. …? I don’t care anymore if the website goes down or if it has bugs. I really don’t give a ing . I asked to get transferred to another project I am interested in, I even met the CEO to tell him that, and got ignored. I think I will start to work the hours that my contract has and avoid answering to Skype/the phone after these hours….Nice way to get fired ….

I went to an interview for BI analyst, I hope they will call me back this week. They told me “you will start as a graduate again because you don’t have any experience for this specific job”. W tf ? I mean I am not changing field. Business Intelligence and Data Science are not exactly the same with web development of course but you need to have programming skills such as Java and SQL which I use in web development. I don’t get it to be honest. Every time that you change job title in the IT industry, you start from the beginning again? It doesn’t make sense. Anyway, they asked me how much I am getting paid at the company I am now and I told them more than my real salary so they told me that they will give me the same or less. I replied ok because even the “less” is more than my real salary. I just hope to change field and be able to work independently in 2-3 years.

There is always something good from a situation though. I learn more about myself or to rephrase, I ascertain that I am who I am and temporary concessions can’t last long. For instance the fact that I want to work independently and do things my way as I have been doing since I was a kid. The fact that I was born to become a merchant and not a programmer, the fact that I used to be an extremely confident person with a ton of passion and now I have become like a ing nerd not believing to himself. My god mother put it correctly last year “ You seem like a person that you have completely gave up”. It’s true that about a year ago I hit rock bottom.

I used to have a ton of passion, now I just do things like a robot. I do things “correctly” but with no passion. I talk to girls but with very neutral attitude, I don’t flirt like I used to...I don’t get angry anymore…I don’t get excited anymore…I am never thrilled anymore…

I am starting to “collect” my pieces slowly. Very slowly though… It would take another 3-4 years to recover completely and be myself again. There is still a “candle’s flame” flickering. It’s a start….

Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice