LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 58596061626364 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    Ahh, in one store that seemed promising, the owner was genuinely uninterested.

Have you seen the film Founder? It's one of my favourite films. The film starts with Ray Kroc trying to sell multimixers to restaurants and the owners are closing their doors in his face. This is how it is indeed. And I am not trying to "sell" in reality because the app is free. I donít even know if I could monetize the app in the future. I do get some sort of enjoyment though, can't really explain why, maybe I am a masochist.

I think even if you are the best salesman in the world you still need to beat the numbers game. If you are a salesman getting paid mostly by commission and it's your full time job things can be pretty tough. It would be very easy to get disappointed and depressed.

Sales is really an art. It doesn't get a lot of respect, but it should. The best salesmen develop and build upon relationships where they've won the trust of their clients. They are very devoted and follow through with their promises.

It's going to be challenging for you to make sales because you aren't currently in a position where you can develop or rely upon relationships. You are just cold-calling, which is the toughest of all sales.

One thing you can do to leverage yourself is strategize.

I don't know what the best strategy for you would be, but I have an example I learned from a car insurance salesman: Instead of marketing to homes and individuals, he targeted businesses that owned fleets of vehicles, so that one sale would equal multiple policies.

Platinum Member
    I am not cold-calling. I am visiting the stores myself and ask for the manager (we keep 2-3 meters distance). I have the flyers with me. It is a good pretence to pitch the app. With cold-calling I would have 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 001% chance. Imagine listening to a hefty Greek accent on the phone-very compelling lol. Besides, I always prefer face to face, it's more real, you see what you are dealing with. Like this, I have about 0.00001% chance haha. I will probably make it though, at least I will try as much as I can.

From my super small experience so far, the stores which are more interested are small-middle size places where the owner is still running the place and wants to improve the customer service and expand etc. If it's a chain, even a small one, you will never find the owner and the managers will just forget you in 3 seconds. In very small places, they just do not care about technology. They look me like I am talking about rocket science lol.

Let's see. When the stores open in 2 weeks (if they open), the real game will begin.

Originally Posted by dias
    I am not cold-calling. I am visiting the stores myself
    That's cold-calling: an unsolicited visit or phone call. "Call" also means to pay a visit in person.

Both meanings of "call" apply here, although when I google it, I see that the British have a law against phone cold calling.

Point is, the call is unsolicited and there's no prior relationship.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    That's cold-calling: an unsolicited visit or phone call. "Call" also means to pay a visit in person.

Both meanings of "call" apply here, although when I google it, I see that the British have a law against phone cold calling.

Point is, the call is unsolicited and there's no prior relationship.
    Aha, I am learning something new everyday :)

Heh...the best salesmen aren't disappointed and depressed, they are obsessed with making that sale. Obsessed.

Free or not, you are selling. Get in that mindset. Lots of books, videos, seminars on selling. Hard as it may be when you have a day job, you've got to immerse yourself in that when not working that day job. It's not as simple as numbers - how you say things, what you do and don't say, listening, addressing objections, etc. There is literally a formula, but it's not a one size fits all - you have to figure out how to present yourself so it works for you and is effective for you.

For example, I went to a live seminar run by head of sales for a Fortune 500 company. He stated that your goal is not to ask the customer, but for the customer to ask you to sign up and you get there by offering solutions to their problems and you find out what their problems are by asking questions and listening carefully.

Granted, this was more in a context on how to close bigger contracts, but it's a principle that scales. What are your marketing challenges? Would you benefit from more customers? Are you interested in that? Get a conversation going rather than talking at them and pitching your app. Ask questions, listen to their problems, offer a solution. Of course, I'm telling you what works for me personally. It doesn't mean that it would fit your personality. You have to try different approaches until you find what clicks for you, what's effective for you personally and gets results. That's where you really have to roll up your sleeves and work at it. It's not as simple as just numbers game. Numbers is just a part of it. Effective sales people can close a huge percentage of deals because they have an approach that works for them more often than not.

If you want to push through and succeed, you have to be willing to put that kind of work into it. You've got to figure out how and it's not as simple as just numbers. If you treat it as "just funzies" you are pretty much setting up to fail because where is the motivation to really get down and dirty with it when it's just funzies. Get serious and mean it.

Platinum Member
    If you don't want to use the app that's fine. But don't lead me on into believing you are interested and I am waiting outside of your shop in the pouring rain everyday. Mother f*cker!
    Last edited by dias; 06-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Platinum Member
    Did you know that Google and Apple take 30% of each in-app purchase from every app in the world? W*F is going on? 30% of every transaction taking place in an app? So if you charge 10 pounds per month for an app, Apple and Google will take 3 pounds. Plus, you have to pay an initial fee to upload your app on Playstore and Applestore. You understand how f*cked up this is? Then there are taxes and expenses. What is left then? 1 pound out of 10? 50 cents out of 10? I am really pissed off about this.

They have the monopoly and they are doing whatever they want. Where is the government regulation now? [Register to see the link] ďThe U.S. economy is essentially a free market economy Ė an economic market that is run by supply and demand Ė with some government regulationĒ What happened to the last part? Grrr

I am spending my holidays hustling but no luck yet. Everybody likes the app but nobody wants to use it. IT IS FREE goddamit.

On another note, I went to the supermarket in the afternoon. I was waiting in the queue when a mother with her child walked past me heading to the next aisle. The little girl (4-5 years old) stopped in front of me whilst the mother kept going. I had my headphones on and I was daydreaming as usual so I didnít pay attention to the little girl standing in front of me and looking at me. I noticed her only when she kept looking at me for 20+ seconds. I was about to tell her that she would lose her mom when she smiled at me and started following her mom. She turned around again for a second. I waved at her with a smile and she ran back to her mom.

When I will have kids in my next life, they will definitely receive all the love in the world.

The little girl must have seen something in you she liked.

I love kids. When it was safer to do so I interacted with kids all the time. Now for obvious reasons I don't do that. Well, plus I seldom go out in public.

As for government regulation, businesses don't want that. And the current government is loathe to interfere with businesses. Regulation is viewed as a negative and an impediment to free enterprise by many.

I read somewhere that small businesses need to be able to go without any profit for six to eighteen months. And it's not uncommon for the business to not break even for a year. It's certainly tough out there!

Back in uni we were taught in business courses that on average it takes 2 years for a start up to start breaking even. Sure there are all kinds of success stories that beat that average, buuuuut.....you have to be mentally prepared for that kind of a looooonnnnnnggggg and difficult slog and it being an average, means that for some businesses it's even longer than that. Amazon posted net losses for 12 years from inception....... Nike is another one where the company was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for years before finally turning the corner and becoming a giant powerhouse. What I'm getting at is don't get discouraged, keep going.

Videos

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice