LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 52535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Originally Posted by dias
    Her eyes blazed and her face lit up for a minute and then turned dark again as she realized she wonít see me again. This was my last contact with my yiayia.

I just wish I could be there these last moments.
    That is so lovely.

You really were there, you know.

Iím so sorry for the loss of your yiayia, dias. Sending hugs & strength.

I'm so sorry for your loss, dias. Sending you a whole bunch of love across the ocean.
    She left the best legacy I can think of, love through and through.

Platinum Member
    Thank you Jib, milly, itsallgrand, DF and Hermes. I am much better these days. I have come to terms with this. It was more painful when I was seeing her suffer. In the end, you can't really do anything, just accept reality. I do have beautiful memories though :)

Platinum Member
    It's been busy at work. It keeps me distracted.

We received an email from the CEO a couple of hours ago. They are laying off 700 people across the UK due to CV. That sounds fun. Ugh.

Hopefully I am not one of them but to be honest I am used to this sort of roller coasters. Doesn't really scare me.

Originally Posted by dias
    It's been busy at work. It keeps me distracted.

We received an email from the CEO a couple of hours ago. They are laying off 700 people across the UK due to CV. That sounds fun. Ugh.

Hopefully I am not one of them but to be honest I am used to this sort of roller coasters. Doesn't really scare me.
    Ouch.....fingers crossed you won't be part of that.

Platinum Member
    Jesus freakin Christ.

-Software not being able to load the data
    -A technical mistake I made
    -Client is being an as*hole
    -Audit manager is getting very frustrated
    -Auditors lie low when it comes to their mistakes
    -I spent my nights trying to load the data this week to no avail
    -Got reprimanded because I asked the client a few questions. I am not on a client facing team and I don't know how to write an email to the client according to my managers(although I was doing a client facing job in London)
    -The issue was escalated to everyone above me up to the "big dogs" - Good thing they will learn my name, bad publicity is better than no publicity

Yeah, I am having fun here.

Platinum Member
    So I found the mistake I made in the script yesterday. Problem was, the software we have in the company is not made to load 100 million rows of data. I called the audit manager to explain this to her. I told her I am doing everything I can but the software just freezes and stops responding. I also wanted to tell her is not my fault the company bought the cheapest software in the market. Of course I didn't tell her that. Then, I suggested another way to load the data by breaking it down to smaller chunks but this would mean we would have to go back to the client. She rejected my suggestion saying we can't bother the client again, that he is a huge client and there are SLAs involved etc etc. She sent an email to my manager and a manager in London saying she understands it's not my fault but the job needs to be done now etc etc.

So the job was re-assigned to the technical team in London who have better software tools and are more technically experienced (maybe true for the rest of my team, I have a better background as a software engineer than the guys in London - and I am not even good). Anyway, the last thing the guys in London told me is that their software crashes too. I concede, it would make me very happy if their software keeps crashing for a few days. Now I took the blame for the auditors who I helped them without complaining for their mistakes, for the client's mistakes and for the software's limitations. Yes I did make a mistake in the script that delayed us for two days. It's not that bad if you think this job is going on for two months now without any progress from the clientís and audit teamís side.

The funny thing is, the probation review was last week and the supervisor described my performance as stellar. It's not so stellar anymore hahahahahaha.

For the meager salary I get I wouldn't normally go out of my way to solve a problem or work overtime but I don't like unfinished jobs.

Once, I asked an auditor to prepare an excel if she wanted to use our services (her responsibility) and she replied: "my pay rate is too high to waste time on this task". It found it quite entertaining. I am thinking about using the same argument with a tiny difference: "my pay rate is too low to spend time on this task" hahahahahahahahahahaha

On a different note, it seems many people are really struggling staying at home due to CV. For me it doesnít really make any difference. It only affected me when I couldnít visit my grandmother. Other than that, the only lifestyle changes are working from home and not going to the gym. I do miss going to work and I do miss hitting the gym (especially the latter) but that's it. I am not stressed or panicked or anything. Well, as long as I don't catch the virus lol. If anything, I am just bored and I am eating more. I am living a solitary life so I overcame the loneliness issues a few years back.

I've become pretty much immune and emotionless to most things.

Happy Easter, Dias!!

Platinum Member
    The team in London hasn't managed to load the data yet hahahahahahahahaha. They are thinking of breaking down the data into smaller chunks like I suggested. That means they have to go back to the client; something they so didn't want to do.

Ah, small pleasures which make your day :)

Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 52535455565758 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice