LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 47484950

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    I am officially 28 since this Wednesday. Hmm, time travels. I remember when I was at school the time didnít pass but the older I get the faster it goes. Not good lol.

I bought myself a birthday gift! A 12 pounds milk frother to make cappuccino. Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I know you are thinking "you are living the life dias" lol . However, I have to say that a milk frother adds more value to my life than a Ferrari practically. I love my cappuccino :)

Also, I am celebrating my new life/adventures of two years, two months and 13 days in the UK. During this period, I did a Master's degree in Essex, I worked in London for a year, got a 40% raise, quit my job, went back to Athens for a month, moved to Liverpool after taking a bold bet and accepting lower salary. I hosted a website* and distributed business cards at hotels in London in an attempt to learn how to hustle and sale, nearly found a client, built a web-app which didn't work properly on mobile phones, travelled a bit, worked out a lot :) , improved my English, learned and assimilated the British culture as much as I could and took some awesome landscape photos.

In hindsight, it's a short period of time for the things I did. I am not where I would like to be at this point in my life but I am not doing too bad either. I am following the correct -for me- direction but I haven't gone as far as I would like. 4 years ago I used to imagine all these adventures. I was led to believe by my environment and society in general that these things happen only in the movies or itís only for some unique people lol. I don't want to say everything was peachy and easy. There are always ups and downs, exhilarating moments and setbacks, benefits and compromises, insecurities to deal with and milestones to achieve. Nonetheless, compared to my early twenties that I was miserable and depressed I am 1 million times better nowadays.

Hahahahahaha I find it so funny now. You can do a lot more than you ever thought as long as you are willing to abandon your comfort, take some risks and fail sometimes - or many times if you are willful like me :). But again, I would take adventures than money or comfort every time. Life without adventures and experiences is not a life worth living, I believe. I mean, if life is a gift from God as they say, better live it and do not let complacency prevail.

Jibs posted a quote of Maya Angelou a few years back: "when you know better, you do better". It stuck to my mind. I wondered how can you know better in the first place. My answer today would be: you take action and you do something regardless if you feel like it or it's not the best course of action. You have to start from somewhere. Usually, this beginning which culminates with a failure 99,9% of the time is what discouraged me in the past from doing things. It's not how the game is played though, I had an erroneous perception about this game called life.

If I could define happiness nowadays I would say happiness is doing the things you like on a daily/weekly basis. For all you know, maybe you will never reach Ithaka. This is how I feel it now.

And everything started when I quit my job in Athens to travel to the US. I didn't manage to do the road trip across the US as I had planned, I did my Master's degree instead and it was the right decision. As Jibs and DF already alluded FOMO or YOLO decisions do not yield the best results but they are far better than letting fear holding you back. So a big thumbs-up for YOLO!

I understand that everyone is different and everyone has different needs. I am sure some people find my life bland and tedious. Plus, I don't earn money lol. Some may find it entertaining (although I really doubt it). Thing is, for me it's fulfilling.

Cheers everyone :)

*I cancelled the annual subscription for that website and it will be down by February. Two interesting facts:

1)an agency from London which finds clients for IT companies and acts as a mediator (I surmise they take commission) sent me an email the previous week asking for collaboration. Well, I couldn't reply "Thank you but I hosted the website for experimental purposes, I have no employees, and it's not even registered in Companies House" lol. I find it interesting though.

2) The website is the third or fourth on google's first page among websites of big companies. SEO did its miracle. It took a year. It proves that good things take time. I always try to remind my stupid impetuous self that.

Happy birthday! I am glad you are happy :)

Happy Birthday dias!

Platinum Member
    I am in the last stronghold lol. The whole map was blue (Conservative) except Merseyside (Liverpool and outskirts) which was red (Labour).

[Register to see the link]

[Register to see the link]

I think this election was less about Brexit and more about "inner" politics. I knew Liverpudlians vote Labour traditionally because they had a bad experience under Margaret Thatcher. Colleagues verified that.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Happy Belated Birthday! Omg can I be 28 again??!!! Enjoy it!!

"You can do a lot more than you ever thought as long as you are willing to abandon your comfort, take some risks and fail sometimes - or many times if you are willful like me :). "

This ^^^ could be a good signature line, dias! And I agree...stepping outside of the comfort zone can take us to places we never imagined, and I think we end up where we're meant to be when we take this route (I'm gradually learning this myself, or so I think. But ask me a year from now though. Lol). A lot of people stay within their comfort zone out of fear, so kudos to you for taking yourself beyond that. Not many people have the nerve to do this.

Happy Birthday!

Platinum Member
    When this decade started I was 18. I spent the first half of the decade in the uni and the Navy. The worst years of my life. The second half I started taking action and I became more satisfied with my life. The last two years were the most productive and my life is getting better and better :)

I just came back from the gym after a three hours session. We still have 1,5 hours for 2020. I will go out to see the fireworks at midnight.

I wish you a happy and productive 2020 my ENA friends :)

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Platinum Member
    I just want to ramble here. If you donít like purposeless readings, please skip :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAMILY UPDATE

From January to June is the busy season in the accounting sector. My manager pushed me to take some days off now because annual leave is not Ďallowedí till June. I hadnít seen my grandmother for two years so I took a week off to come to Athens. I didnít want to spend any time in Greece this year but my grandmother is 85 and nobody lives forever (unfortunately). I try to do the minimum (see her once in a while) because she was a huge part of my upbringing and it was a blessing to have those grandparents. The least I can do is to thank her for being in my life.

I want to visit my brother too, I havenít seen him two & half years now. However the periods I can, he canít and vice versa. Maybe in October, if he is still at Brown University and doesnít relocate. If there is anyone in my family I can live close by this is my brother. Donít get me wrong, I love my parents and grandparents but I need a lot of space. An ocean apart is the ideal distance but I do compromise with the European continent lol.

I had a discussion with my parents, more like an outpouring of anger and emotions on my part, about why I and my brother will more likely never come back permanently. My parentsí vision for us was to find a good stable job and start a family close to them etc etc. Instead I live in the UK and I am as unstable as it can get and my brother lives in the US hahaha. But we do live our lives, not somebody elseís.

My mother fluctuates between spells of seasonal depression and Ďtralalaí periods. My father is trying to convince her to attend therapy but she is too stubborn to do that as she believes therapists are crazier than her. No wonder why I am stubborn and crazy myself. I have someone to blame hahaha.My father needs a year to get pension and he is searching for things to do. He told me ďif I stay home with your mother the outcome is divorce, you know that right?Ē. Yeah, I know and I understand. Well, I guess, they should separate after all. Theyíve been mentioning divorce as far as I remember myself. After 30+ years itís time to do itÖ.?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHOTOGRAPHY UPDATE

Remember I sent my photos at the gallery? They replied after 3 months.

ďThat's a good statement! We are really interested in how photography can talk about society and our roles in shaping it, it's really good to see your personal history attached to the image and using lighthouses as a means of putting a pin in a map.I'll be in touch should the work fit into themes we're looking at in the gallery.Ē

ďThis is a great shot! I'm sure a lot of local businesses would be interested in using this for promotional purposes. I'd recommend getting in touch with some local companies with your photographs ó just make sure not to send over the high resolution files!Ē

Thatís good feedback. My photos are good enough for sale. If I want to promote them I have to hustle but I am happy they consider them good enough to be sold. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORK UPDATE

Thatís a toughie. As I mentioned before itís a global financial company. Nonetheless, the departments in Liverpool donít offer any potential or high salaries. Liverpool is not London. This is the max that could offer. Thing is, I like my colleagues and love my life in Liverpool. Itís good and offers me quality of life.

I have enough free time to spend on my project. I started over again. I will not do the development this time (because I canít).I will outsource it. I made a business plan in December just to understand my idea better. Damn, there were so many gaps. What was I thinking before? I am so stupid. I developed the idea from scratch again and I was like ďOups, there is a gap here, there is gap there, I didnít see that beforeĒ. Iíve been working on the idea again and again and there are still holes. Itís a good idea though, thatís the thing.

The Welsh guy who sits next to me and we get along great told me that he would invest 15K if he had the money. I laughed. But I didnít laugh last Sunday. Last Sunday I met my ex-team leader I had when I worked in Athens. He is a project manager now, makes 60K+ euros which is a lot of money in Greece and he has monetized some of his own apps. He was disappointed I am not a software engineer anymore and donít make money. Anyway, I presented him the business plan and he gave me good advice which changes the whole architecture of the app. I have to write it from scratch again but his suggestions were spot on. I donít understand how I missed that. At the end of the discussion he told me ďI am investing right nowĒ. Thing is, he has the money and he was very serious about that.

I think I can find investors but for the time being I donít need money. I have enough to hire a remote developer (all my savings) but I take my time. I want to have a viable business plan first. Idea + monetization method that make sense. I take the long term approach this time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MISCELLANEOUS

Gym is going well. Finally, I have reached the stage where things are getting Ďseriousí. And Iíve developed the Adonis belt. Yayyyyyy!!! Lol

There are a few girls at work who look at me more persistently. Hmmm, maybe I should I approach the hot blonde princess! Not yet though, I am still relatively new to this company. I havenít had sex almost two years now but itís not as bad as I expected. I am occupied with other stuff and I forget about it. Although I am a bit afraid of the ďif you donít use it, you lose itĒ lol

I have to find a way to control my eating disorder. It's getting out of hand.
    Last edited by dias; 01-15-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Platinum Member
    I just learned about 2 couples (family friends) that separated recently. One couple was in its early thirties, married 2 years, together 7 years, no kids. The second one was in its early-mid sixties, 40+ years together, had a business together, 4 kids. Normally I wouldn't be surprised as we hear about divorces every day. They say 50% of marriages end in divorce. To me it seems it's about 80%, not 50%. Anyway, the news caught me by surprise because these two couples were the super-duper/perfect fit/made-for-each-other couples.

Hmmm, now that I am thinking about it I am in a very privileged position. They all end up single with emotional and financial onuses. But me as an eternal bachelor I will always be one step ahead hahahahaha and I don't have to pay for therapy hehehehe. Inadvertently, I make the right decisions hahahaha.

Platinum Member
    Plan for the next 2 years:

Narrow down the business idea to something simpler and more realistic. Adapt. Identify revenue streams. Send email campaigns. Make Phone calls. Book appointments. Outsource the app. Hustle, hustle, hustle, hustle, hustle. Make the first sales.

Plan for the next 7 years:

Find investors, hire technical and sales people, establish the start-up in the market, increase revenue, re-invest revenue to business, create R&D department, hustle, scale, adapt, hustle, scale, adapt, hustle, scale, adapt, hustle, scale, adapt. Enter stock market.

Plan for the next 10 years: Transform the industry.

Thatís the plan for the next 10 years. There are some details I excluded and about a billion steps in between. But it seems about right to me. Time will tell if I am that competent and persistent.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 47484950

Give Advice
Ask For Advice