LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    I haven't written for some time now , i was busy with work . It's been 5 months since I started working at this company. I have learned many new things and I have began taking the initiative sometimes and get involved more with the project from just "programming" . The senior programmer told me that the project manager started to believe in me and trust me for more difficult tasks . The funny thing is , my programming dexterity hasn't improved that much but they trust me more because I am more proactive which is something so natural for me that I don’t even have to try . I am really happy that something which comes so natural to me happens to get appreciated .

Although I like my job as a web developer and I work in a good environment with great colleagues I think that web development is not the future . Thus , I will try to find a job as a data scientist or something similar which is indeed the future . I hope to achieve two things with this move. The first one is I like statistics more than computer science and big data and analysis need statistics (and programming of course) and the second thing is that I could handle small projects in data analysis with a start up . Since data analysis is the future I think it's a clever move if I could achieve it . But now it's not the right time for this move , I will stay in this company for a year to have a more stable CV . I still have things to learn and knowledge to obtain so it's not a waste of time .

I don't know why but everyday I wake up happier . lol . I like being single and do everything i want without responsibilities and drama but sometimes I catch my self yearning for a stable company .I don't want to admit it to my self though .lol Am i starting to get old ? Maybe haha .

Platinum Member
    CHARLEMAGNE was in his late twenties when he inherited from his father the Western part of the Frankish Empire in 768. Three years later , with his brother's death ,he also inherited central France and southwest Germany . The death of his brother involves many conspiracy theories.

His family kept close ties with Pope for many years. In 754 the Pope asked Charlemagne’s father to campaign against Lombards which he did twice without great success . In 772 the current Pope solicited Charlemagne to attack Lombards again. He invaded Lombards twice in 773 and 774 respectively but this time the campaign yielded the results the Pope so much desired. Charlemagne obtained a new title , “king of Lombards”.

I will make a parenthesis here to write basic information about Lombards . Lombards were a Germanic tribe originating from northern Germany . They moved south into the region of Hungary in the early 6th centery . In 568 they invaded northern Italy . Native dwellers from mainland opted to flee to the island of Torcello .This is how Venice was founded. Parenthesis closed .

His next aim was to subjugated Saxons in east Germany . Saxons used to pillage and raid Charlemagne’s empire . He was also outraged because Saxons were Pagans unlike Lombards who had already converted to Christianity in the 6th century . It took him 30 years to subdue Saxons but he finally succeeded converting him to Christianity . His way was simply and kind of brutal . Refusing to baptized meant death .

In 778 he tried to liberate north Spain from Muslims but he failed . Although he managed to take the town of Pamplona , he failed to take Saragossa . They say that this minor failure became the most famous moment of Charlemagne’s legend .

In 799 Pope asked Charlemagne for help again because he was assaulted and threatened with the assailants stating they wanted to blind him and to cut his tongue . Charlemagne traveled to Rome to support the Pope and the Pope acclaimed him Emperor . Western Roman Empire had lost it’s power from the 5th century and it’s influence had subsided with the rise of the Byzantium . In 800 , with the crowning of Charlemagne a new empire seems to emerge : The Holy Roman Empire .

Some years later he established his seat of power in Aachen . A clever position, chosen wisely, which lied exactly between the west and east Frankish kingdoms. Today Aachen is located in the borders of Netherlands, Belgium and Germany .

/

Platinum Member
    *subjugate*
    *converting them*
    *his way was simple*

**ing typos

Platinum Member
    As far as I remember myself I always loved reading stories . When I was around 8-9 years old an admiral gave me a gift(my mother was an officer in the Navy). It was a very old book which had been given to him by his aunt when his was that young himself. It is written in 1930s . It has all the “classical” tales from all over the world (Arabic stories like Aladdin , European and Greek tales from the Renaissance and stories from late 19th century ). I used to read these stories every day . They really sparked my imagination and from henceforth I loved stories . When I was about 14-15 I commenced reading history, psychology , Machiavellian type of books and biographies of con artists and wealthy people . I still love biographies because they are like tales and who doesn’t like tales eh? Our journey here is a tale . Everyone is unique and if we write down our journey on earth up until now we could see that our own life is like the films . More or less we all have had good times , bad times, drama , romance, moments of anger , moments of happiness , moments of lust …. We have a complete tale with all it’s characteristics without having done something “special” like “famous” people did . Anyway I digress . I adored reading about con artists because I love acting and mystery and all these stuff that make a good real life story . But there was a specific story that I liked more. It was about the life of Basil Zaharoff . Greece can’t really “flaunt” great con artists generally because it needs some bizarre mix of traits that we don’t usually have but this case was different . He was a Greek from minor Asia who achieved to be one of those who “rule” the world .

It’s not about his wealth but his journey in this world that it is really exciting and unique. It’s a story that arouses the imagination . He was a ruthless individual indeed (as all these guys are) but given that he was born in squalor in a poor family and achieved bearing himself among the royal families of Europe and had this kind of power is respectable and inspiring . But what was the difference between him and other equally capable people was the way his was doing things. He liked romance this is why he veiled his actions with a touch of mystery and drama. He liked to play this why he created this image. From his actions and his way he was dealing with situations early in life it’s easy to fathom that he was emulating Casanova and other Renaissance famous figures . I am pretty sure he liked tales too as we all

Just curious--Have you read anything about Aspasia?
    My grandmother was named for her, and Aspasia is my Christened name (not given name).

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Just curious--Have you read anything about Aspasia?
    My grandmother was named for her, and Aspasia is my Christened name (not given name).
    Yeap . Aspasia was Pericle's wife . She had influence in the upper class of Athens in the Classical era.

I can find more information if you want .

I know all about her, thanks Including the fact that she started out as a courtesan!

My grandmother and her family placed a lot of importance on her life. I guess I'm just curious if that's something that was unique to my family, or to Greece in general.

Platinum Member
    The first i guess . It depends. I mean even though Greece is a small country there are many differences between northern Greeks and southerners . Greeks of minor Asia or Constantinople are also vastly different .

Do you know if your grandmother was Greek from minor Asia? (Aspasia was from minor Asia , this name in Athens for example is not that common)

She was from Crete.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    She was from Crete.
    Yes in Crete Aspasia is more popular . But i am not from Crete so i can't tell you more .

To be honest , everyone who has Greek grandparents is very lucky

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice