LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4546474849 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    Liverpool eh ....fantastic .....I have never been ...but so much history there . One of these days you will end up in Milton Keynes

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Liverpool eh ....fantastic .....I have never been ...but so much history there . One of these days you will end up in Milton Keynes
    Hahahaha yeah maybe one of these days :) now that I am doing cross-country trips for interviews hehe.

Hope you and your daughter are doing great pippy :)

Platinum Member
    I want to ramble today so here it goes:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Work-Interviews-References

This last few days were interesting. There was an opening for a data engineer at the company I worked in Athens. I applied just out of curiosity and because I wanted to see how much they would be willing to pay. They called me back the next day and they were very very very interested. The HR talked to my old colleagues (the ones they are still there) and they said that everyone wants me back. They were so freaking excited I thought they would grabbed me through the screen. I asked for a slightly better salary than I am making here in the UK. So we scheduled a second interview. The funny thing is, the day of the second interview they received an email from my current company asking for a reference hahaha. They were annoyed apparently and a bit ďwhat gives?Ē. They asked me ďyou want the reference or the second interview?Ē Of course I said the reference since it wasnít my intention to go back even for more money than I am currently making. However, I wanted to have the second interview as I would like to see if they wanted me so badly that they would give in to my salary expectationsÖÖ

Bad timing! To be honest, I never believed they would ask for a reference from my company in Athens. I expected them to ask for a reference from my previous job in London, yes sure, but from the company in Athens no. They also checked my credit background in the UK and in Greece as well ( I signed a document to give them my consent of course). Itís a multinational corporation and follows all the procedures.

Another interesting fact is that they ask your previous employers about your salary. I thought it was illicit to ask these details. I do know they asked about my salary because my ex-manager in London sent me the documents they asked her to fill in about me and told me to write whatever I want (hahaha she is so cool ). I always say I make more money in the interviews than I actually make in order to barter more. HmmÖI should be careful.

Moreover, I spoke with a French man who runs a small software business two hours from Liverpool. Everything was fine at first, he was very interested, he agreed to meet me on the weekend since I canít take a day off right now, I liked his team( I checked them on LinkedIn) and his projects (software for police in the UK and France). But when I asked about the salary range it was very low. He mentioned that its not the 9-5 job which in software development translates to 9-8 or 9-9 and some weekends. Yeah, I did that in Athens and it wasnít fun whatsoever. You are not getting paid for overtime and I have resolved I am not going to waste more than 50 hours a week for a company that its not mine and I donít get paid for overtime. I tried to barter the salary, he was receptive but didnít give me a number, just generalities. So no.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dating

I am pseudo-dating this period.

There was a Greek Cypriot girl who used to hang out with the local Greeks here. We spoke a couple of times and I was going to ask her out because I thought there was chemistry but she finished her PhD and went back to Cyprus. But I think there was something with another guy too.

I made an account on Match. Itís a paid dating website so I thought it would have more quality people. I also used Tinder. I had a few chats with some British girls but they fizzled out.

Unexpectedly, I matched with a Hungarian girl on Tinder one month ago. She visited Liverpool a few days for holidays. We chatted for a month on fb. She decided to visit Liverpool again for three days for sightseeing and to meet me in person. We had planned to go out for coffee and dinner but the last minute she canceled saying that something came up at work and had to stay at home and work. She messaged me the next day asking if I am still interested. She was leaving in the afternoon and we only managed to meet during my lunch break from work for an hour. We had a good discussion, she seemed to be interested in me, more than I was in her. Anyway, it was nice but we both agreed that a long distance relationship between Liverpool and Budapest is not going to work. I wished her safe travels etc etc and we havenít chatted on fb since then. She told me her first impression about me: shy/reserved, seems to enjoy his own company a bit too much, reliable. I laughed. It was exactly the same thing a friend told me in London (but she already knew me almost two years) when I asked her for her opinion about me as a person. So, this is the impression I give. Interesting. I donít think I am shy, reserved yes, taciturn yes. ďEnjoy my own companyĒ, ha, a nice way to say I am a loner. Yeah, I do enjoy my own company! She asked me about my past relationships and said ďsomeone likes being aloneĒ. Hahaha yeah I guess I do. I think normally that would be a red flag but I get a yellow one because I am handsome (ok very handsome - and a jerk thanks ).

I said pseudo-dating because I donít know if I really want to make any concessions in my personal life. I make a lot of concessions at work and I am not willing to do in my personal life too. Itís just too much for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Accommodation

I rent an en-suite room in a professional/student accommodation for the nonce. Itís in the city centre and itís soooooooooooooooooo convenient. 7 minutes walk from work, 4 minutes from the gym, 1 minute from the supermarket, 5 minutes from the waterfront. Itís sooooooooooooo amazing. Thatís quality of life. I used to spend 1,5-2 hours stuck in traffic to commute to work in Athens, 45-50 minutes on the train in London and now 7 minutes walk. Itís sooooooooooooooooo awesome. I looooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee it :)

Much lower salaries compared to London but it compensates with everything else. I really like it. Thumbs up for Liverpool!

Photography

When I got the first two photos of Liverpool (the ones with the waterfront I first posted) I submitted them on the website of a local gallery. They replied two months later:
    ĎThanks for the submission! You've certainly got the romance of the waterfront, we generally look for a narrative in our exhibiting work but I can see people being interested in prints. Check out Digital Splash locally, it happens every year and there are some great prizes available

I didnít expect such a positive reply. I didnít expect any reply at all. I sent the photo of the lighthouse with a small narrative and asked if this is the sort of narrative they want. I will wait for another month now hahahahaha. But I am happy that someone more ďprofessionalĒ liked my photos. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

Fitness

I increased the volume of my workouts. I workout a lot, like a professional athlete. Only 3 times per week but for 3-3.5 hours each. I make conscious effort to be as focused as I can during the sets and feel the muscle-mind connection. I decreased the weight I am lifting a lot, like 70% and I have very short rests (10-30 seconds) and tons of reps, going to failure every time. Itís something between weight lifting and cardio. God damn, it works. Itís excruciating but it works wonder.

Current work + Business

I will write about these two another time.
    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr
    Last edited by dias; 10-27-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Platinum Member
    Itís these little things that make your day!

Yesterday evening whist I was waiting for the traffic light to become green for the pedestrians, a mother with her little girl were waiting next to me on the left. Across the street some people were dressed up with Halloween costumes. The little girl - about 4 or 5 years old I surmise - got scared and grabbed her motherís forearm. Suddenly, another guy with a more scary costume appeared and the little girl left a mild shriek and grabbed my forearm (instinctively). I tried to move my hand discreetly but the girl held me stronger haha. The little lady was strong :) Mind you, she didnít turn her head to see whom she was holding.

I waited for 10 seconds until her mother noticed that her girl was holding my forearm and burst into laughter. The little girl turned her head to my side, I smiled and she smiled back. She was the cutest little girl ever :)

From what I understood, her father was waiting next to me on the right and he was wearing the same clothes and hat and the girl didnít notice it. It was one of these moments I am thinking kids are not so bad in the end :)

Adorable

I'm still not having children lol

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Adorable

I'm still not having children lol
    I am 99,9999999999% percent certain I will never have kids or get married. I just never imagined myself following this path, itís not what I want. I am carving a unique and aberrant life path which does not include stability and financial security, both essential for family and kids.

Notwithstanding, I do like kids(not babies) and I do support family values. More bizarre is the fact that kids like me. It is strange because I am not the guy who will play with them, hug them or carry them on my shoulders. But they like being around me. Maybe itís what the Hungarian girl and my friend said: I seem reliable (for some unknown reason I donít even know myself)

Besides, my daughter would have never been that cute. If she had taken after me, adding that girls are more rebellious and difficult, she would have been a piece of work lol. But she would have been goodheartedÖand good lookingÖ and a daddyís girl for sure hahahaha

Platinum Member
    The British girl from the meetup in London updated her cover photo on fb with my photo of Londonís skyline :) We still keep in touch. I invited her to Athens in August but she couldnít make it. This week she asked me if I am going back to Athens anytime soon, she wanted to come. But I canít take any days off now so she went to Italy for a few days. She wants to visit Athens and the Greek islands. Maybe next summer we could organize something but I am not sure I want to spend any of my holidays in Athens this year or the following. I have other plans in mind.

On another note, I find it weird liking Liverpool. Liverpool is not a city I would visit. Probably itís the last city in the UK I had ever imagined living. London, Birmingham, Bristol, York, Manchester yes but Liverpool? To my surprise I like it. Itís not that I am crazy about it but somehow I am content living here. The more time I spend here the more I like it. Is it the job, is it my colleagues, is it that I donít spend time commuting to work, is it that I like walking along the waterfront everyday after work, is it that the gym is awesome and only 3 minutes walk, is it that I have more free time to workout like a maniac? Honestly, I have no idea which from the above is but I can see myself living here for long. Hopefully, everything will continue going well (fingers crossed).

Platinum Member
    Finally, I took some photos from a tall building. I went to Cathedral Church of the Risen Christ, it's in Liverpool's city center. It has an amazing view from the tower (101m). And no windows, unlike the skyscrapers in London :) essential if you want to take clear photos. It's the fifth largest cathedral in the world. It was very impressive due to its vastness.

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Wow! Amazing photos.

Platinum Member
    The last few weeks I increased the volume and the intensity at the gym. Actually, I found it hard to leave the gym. I would add 10-15 minutes in every session just because I like working out so much. I ended up training 4,5 hours for three consecutive days per week and then walk for about an hour or two. I know it impinges on my nervous system and I feel like a bus hit me after every session. Sometimes I want to vomit. Sometimes I feel my heart will stop. Maybe itís dangerous, I donít know. But it works. It WORKS.

However, today I couldnít train. I went to the gym this morning but I just couldnít lift anything. My mind is going strong but my body has reached the point of burnout. I will try to compensate during the week. I donít want to miss a workout, I go nuts otherwise and think about it for weeks. Yeah, I am the obsessive type when I want to achieve a goal.

Professional athletes train 6-8 hours per day 7 days per week. I remember reading about Michael Phelps and his training routine. If I remember correctly, he stated he trained 8 hours per day 7 days per week for years. Damn, that is hard. Like very hard, you have to exceed the limits a lot. And these guys push their limits every single time. I guess this is how you become a champion. Talent + tremendous amount of work = champion.

Well, I can only put the work unfortunately. I will try to see if itís possible to maintain this sort of training I am doing now for a year. In order to achieve my goal I need to do it for at least two years consecutively and then go back to my normal - just maintenance- mode. However, I will be satisfied with one year because I need to get back to my failed business venture at some point and put all my energy on that. And it will require to push my limits a lot more that I initially thought. Anyway, letís see if my body can handle it.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4546474849 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice