Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 44454647

Thread: A day in the life

Ummm....how do you have time on your hands if you are building a business???? Focus man, because you should be working more than you ever have in your life. There is so much to do and only one person do it - you and yourself.

Platinum Member
    I will update another day but for now two photos of Liverpool.

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Beautiful photos.

How did you like the Liverpudlian accent?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Beautiful photos.

How did you like the Liverpudlian accent?
    It's so fooooonny! lol

But Liverpudlians are more friendly than other British.

I actually first heard the Liverpudlian accent this year, while watching Graham Norton. This is a 4-minute clip of my introduction to the accent. It had me in stitches. The guy on the right is the Liverpudlian. It takes a minute before he starts talking, then it gets really funny.

Gorgeous photos

Platinum Member
    Now that I know the HR got the signed contractÖÖÖ

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, this is the wrong way to start a business (in case you are wondering lol). Couldnít be more wrong. Wrong approach business-wise and technically-wise. Most importantly, it was a very very premature leap. I put the cart before the horse. I guess I had to verify what common sense dictates-donít leave your job to chase dreams. It was like wanting to build a skyscraper alone, without a team and no capital. Yeah, not happening.

First, I thought it would be easier to approach people in Greece since itís my native country but no itís not. It is as difficult as in the UK.

Second, although itís a good idea and it seems the hotels do give positive feedback, it doesnít mean they would actually pay money because some IT managers say itís a good idea and it would be a useful tool.

Third, the application is not a standalone application. It has to integrate with other software tools which makes it pretty difficult technically-wise and it also makes it difficult to sell it. The reason is, it is difficult to persuade clients to use an application which has to integrate with their existing software. If there are bugs (and there are always bugs) it would cause problems to the existing software platforms too. It just too messy and time consuming.

Finally, I didnít think the consequences of what I did career-wise. It would mean 2-3 years of coding without income, mooching off my parents and if the venture didn't work I wouldnít be able to find a job again in the IT field.
    I was mostly scared of the thought I would be 30 years old, unemployed and living with my parents. Not something I want whatsoever.

Is it a good business idea? I believe so. Bro encourages me to find investors, my father asks me if I can finish part of the software to give it to clients himself (he is a network engineer and has big hotels as clients most of time). Dunno, I feel disoriented right now. I created a (small) mess without a reason. Another drawback of being unemployed is that you donít have health insurance. I had to do blood tests, x-ray and visit a couple of doctors and I had to pay the whole amounts from my savings. I never thought about that.

So, after I figured out that I need a job, I started searching again. I didnít want to stay in Athens much to my parents dismay. Itís too boring for me having lived there 25 years and I didnít want to live close to my parents. Donít get my wrong, I love my parents but they burden me with their problems. I am the one who always call when they want to vent and I canít do it all the time. It is just too much. Moving countries again.

I was between Dublin, Berlin and Copenhagen but it was much faster and more convenient to find a job in the UK as I know the market.

Since I started coding again I applied for software engineering roles. I sent about 400 CVs, spoke with 15 recruiters, had about 10 phone interviews, 5-6 programming tests and one face to face interview that I got the job. I am getting really good at job hunting after so much practice lol. Itís purely a numbers game. Itís pretty much like dating. If they are lukewarm it means no, doesnít matter if you persist, beg, call them. Itís a no. You got chances when they need somebody urgently and they want to arrange an interview fast. Still, you have a shot but it doesnít mean you would get the job. There were many interviews I thought they went well and they didnít. I passed programming tests successfully and never got a call back. Bro had a connection at Bloomberg in London but even having someone inside didnít work.

A friend of mine that we did our masterís degree together just got a job at this company which is creating a Data analytics department in Liverpool and he told me they are looking for people. I was hesitant at first because that meant I had to start from the beginning (third time) and accept a major pay cut *. Plus, I was looking for a software engineer position, not a data analyst position.

Nonetheless, I applied on their website. There was one more problem. They wanted someone who lived locally (Liverpool). So I paid a deposit for a room and gave this address. The phone interview went well, they sounded very excited and gave me a lot of tips of how to pass the next interview. I paid one month's rent for the room and moved to Liverpool. It was a bold bet (financially speaking- Athens London is like a walk in the park now lol) because I hadnít got the job at that point and Liverpool doesnít have many corporate jobs - meaning that I would have to move again if I didnít get the job. Fortunately, I did get the job. It was a textbook interview. At this point I know how to reply to interview questions better than I pronounce my name. Countless hours of practice lol. I start on the 7th of October.

I have another interview this week in Oxford for a software engineer role and there are really interested. Itís a lot more money. Although even if they are positive I am not sure I want to break the contract with the current company.

On the positive side of this whole mess I created: The company is a global financial company (5th after the big 4), has offices everywhere (in Athens and Cyprus too if I want to go back at some point) and itís the job I should have found when I finished my masterís degree (it wasnít the best decision getting the job I did in London career wise).

Overall, it was a bad decision that led to something better although it was not what I had on my mind. I thought I would be stressed given the circumstances but I wasnít. I donít know why. I am 27 soon 28 and at this point you realize that there is no should and should nots and that nobody is pressuring you to do anything. I thought about it. I could travel the world, I could get a job in Athens, I could stay unemployed and drink coffee on the beach all day mooching off my parents, I could start a business (not this way), I could join the corporate world again, I could become a waiter, I could do whatever I want in other words. I decided itís better for me to get a job again.

Anyway, I am doing a bit of loitering here in Liverpool. Here is a pic of New Brighton lighthouse:

* When you change specialization in the IT field you have to start from the beginning and accept a major pay cut. There is always a priceÖ..

PS: DF I know you want to say ď I told you soĒ but please do not succumb to the temptation hahaha.
    Last edited by dias; 09-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Good for you, Dias. You can really hustle.

For what it's worth, I don't think you made any bad decisions. You needed to jump in and learn and that you did and now you are in a better place for it. One step closer to where you want to go...or maybe two or three steps.....

Anyway, it's what I kept telling you earlier. Keep your day job and let it fund your dream. Code and work on it....or improve on the idea. Your father and your bro are right that you do need to keep going. Also, keep your eyes open in this company. Connections matter and if this job opens up some doors for you, creates some connections - JUMP at the opportunities and grab on.

When you see fab stories, what nobody tells you is how many failures and changes of direction you have to go through to achieve that success. It's not so much about working hard (that's just a given), it's about your ability to change, adapt, or even completely change course. If what you are doing isn't working, change it. It's that simple and also that hard. Most importantly, don't give up.

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 44454647

Give Advice
Ask For Advice