LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 43444546

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    I spoke with Daniel, he suggested speaking also with David, I spoke with David, he suggested speaking also with Jack, I spoke with Jack, he suggested speaking also with Tom. I went for coffee with Tom this morning. Tom is the oldest in the sales department (60+ , he is from the North- Yorkshire I think) and he is what we call the quintessential salesman. Well, he has been selling since he was 18 so he has many years under his belt. Iíve read a ton of sales books and the way he talks and what he says itís like in the books. He is pretty good, I have to admit.
    He was telling me how to pitch my idea. I told him ďyou definitely persuaded me to buy my software lolĒ . Selling is sooooooooooooo freakin different than sciences. He told me what I want to do is very difficult but encouraged me to try. I was like ok, must be the 100th time Iíve heard it. I am aware of that. He told me ďremember Kate, she went back to her home country to start something related to digital tourism and she coming back to the UK now, only after 3 monthsĒ. Ok I get it. If it was easy everyone would do it.

He also told me that hotels are really tight and cheap lol. But he also agreed that Greece, Turkey, Italy, France and Spain are the best potential clients for that sort of software. Well, thatís what I am thinking too.

Sales people think the technical stuff are easy, engineers think that sales are easy, the reality is they are both difficult. I have 10K in savings, I am the coder and the salesman. Sounds very promising hahahahahahah

I am learning the alphabet. I need to reiterate to myself: patience, patience, patience.

PS: Hermes, thatís the dream. At least dreams do not cost a thing lol

Well yes indeed. If it was easy, everyone would have their own business. In a way, hard is actually a good thing in that it means less competition and it also means that if you succeed and decide to sell, the value of what you've built will be much greater because entry into the business is difficult.

Figuring out how to succeed is basically like figuring out the correct mathematical formula. You are going to fail and make a lot of wrong turns. Don't get discouraged.

That said, work smart, not just hard. Meaning, don't keep pushing blindly, step back and adjust, evaluate, make changes as appropriate. Don't get lost in the myth of if I work really hard at it I will make it. Doesn't work like that. You need to be using your head a lot and be willing to cut off unproductive approaches even when it's scary because....you think every penny counts - you don't want to get stuck counting pennies, you want to grow beyond that.

On the note of growth, keep in mind that lots of successful multi-millionaires who started out with nothing ended up taking on all kinds of side jobs to fund growth, to pay their employees, to roll all profits back into marketing and sales to grow the company. You really have to commit yourself and be willing to do whatever it takes. You want the yacht? Go get it! It's a long game not a few months and you are out.

Platinum Member
    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Emotional day today. It seems my now ex-colleagues liked me much more than I thought. Ok I admit, I cried a bit when a got home.

Aw!.......

Platinum Member
    There are many things on the practical aspect of a business i never thought they existed. Hmm, and I thought 10k was enough to get a business "up and running" . However it seems that 20k is hardly enough for the "up" part. And the Greek bureaucracy and over-taxation are two monsters that you can't win (legally).

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 43444546

Give Advice
Ask For Advice