Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 414243444546 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Well....you definitely need to meet people and develop some connections. Always keep an open mind about advice. Even if it doesn't fit your plans today, file the advice away because you never know when it might become handy.

As for funding, not funding, what kind of funding.....there are many roads to Rome. You have to follow the path that suits not only your business plans but your personality as well. Bootstrapping is hard as heck, but has its rewards and I speak from experience.

Do yourself a favor and hit either the library or the bookstore and read up on how other successful people made it, what they did and how. It will give you some ideas and guidance that you need. A broader spectrum on what and how and options and the ups and downs of the various options. Of course, a real life mentor or two is best. So if this guy you are meeting started his company from scratch, pay attention. He knows what he is doing even if he isn't doing what you want. The experience and knowledge he has on how to is invaluable.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Well....you definitely need to meet people and develop some connections. Always keep an open mind about advice. Even if it doesn't fit your plans today, file the advice away because you never know when it might become handy.

As for funding, not funding, what kind of funding.....there are many roads to Rome. You have to follow the path that suits not only your business plans but your personality as well. Bootstrapping is hard as heck, but has its rewards and I speak from experience.

Do yourself a favor and hit either the library or the bookstore and read up on how other successful people made it, what they did and how. It will give you some ideas and guidance that you need. A broader spectrum on what and how and options and the ups and downs of the various options. Of course, a real life mentor or two is best. So if this guy you are meeting started his company from scratch, pay attention. He knows what he is doing even if he isn't doing what you want. The experience and knowledge he has on how to is invaluable.
    Exactly. That's why I want to see him. Obviously he knows how to run a business and he knows how to get funding (he got funding early on). I don't want his advice about what to do, I do want though valuable information.

I think many start-ups, at least in the high-tech industry, search for funding before they find clients. This is unnecessary and dumb in my opinion. Why waste time chasing funding instead of chasing customers and adjusting your product according to their needs?

I read this article [Register to see the link] and I agree 100%. Like in this article [Register to see the link] where they got funding but couldn't sell the app.*

*These guys got 41 million funding. What happens if the venture doesn't work out? You keep the money from the investors? You take the next plane to Rio to enjoy the company of pretty seŮoritas?

Platinum Member
    Itís been almost a year since I started this job. When I first joined, I heard my colleagues talking about Steven. I asked about him and they replied ďAlthough he will be calling you at 5:59 everyday, he is the kindest human being everĒ. It was true. Steven is about my fatherís age and has three sons my age, scientist all of them. He is the kindest human ever indeed. Steven is from Reading, he used to come to our offices all the time along with his boss Emily from Liverpool. Emily is a cheerful mom around 45. It took me a three days to understand her accent (but now I can proudly say that I understand clients from Liverpool when they call me hahahahaha). These two were the best clients one can have.

Then, there was John who is early thirties and the best way to describe him is to imagine Sheldon from Big Bang theory (they also look similar lol). Nobody likes him in our office, he is a tad jerk but he is a good-hearted jerk. He likes me though because I never play the ping-pong blame game when there is a bug or error like everybody else. I just ask him straight away what the problem is and I try to solve it. I donít care if it was a mistake from their side or from our side. Mistakes happen all the time, the main thing is to rectify them. So John, is an ok fellow.

Martin moved to another department at some point and he was replaced by Nick. Nick was the very silent neutral type. We didnít interact much because he left after 6 months. He was superseded by Jim. We are talking about a JERK with capital letters. So now itís John and Jim. Still, they give positive feedback about our team. But I miss Steven, when he calls he always asks about me. Wish every client was like him. The first time we were at a meeting, we were reading a balance sheet and he was checking if itís balancing lol. He kept saying ďnaught, naught, naughtÖĒ to me it sounded like ďnot,not,notĒ I was like what is he saying? Lol.

I didnít obtain any technical skills in this job-although itís still on the technical side- but dealing with customers taught me one thing: clients can forgive a mistake but will never forgive bad attitude and rude/blunt replies. Which makes sense. And mistakes will always happen and to compensate you have to have excellent customer service.

On a different topic, I went to the meet-up today. I met some new people, itís was nice. The Scottish girl was suddenly very cold which I canít figure out why since we didnít talk much in the previous meet-ups and I donít remember saying some that could cause this attitude. Well, when someone doesnít want to talk to me, I never talk to them again unless they initiate. I saw another British girl that I hadnít seen for a while. She told me she got fired because she replied back to her authoritarian boss. Hmm, some people are much more rebel than me lol. And she didnít seem the rebel type, but itís always like that, nobody seems the type hahahaha.

I went for a walk in London afterwards. Here is a pic near Liverpool street where I work :)

[Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

Platinum Member

Platinum Member
    I fainted this morning on the train to work. The second time I faint on the train and the fourth this year. What the heck is happening? I did blood test the last time and I was fine. The doctor said it was due to dehydration but I drink a lot more water since then. I canít figure out why it keeps happening. I drank more coffee lately (which is diuretic) but I also drink a lot more water. It seems it doesnít even out. Or itís something else. I thought maybe itís because I have low body fat this period but it canít be that. The previous time I fainted I wasnít at low body fat. There is no consistency that would indicate what is causing it.

I was lucky this time though because I didnít hit my head. The train was packed and it was hot. I just felt dizzy for 3-4 seconds suddenly and I kneeled as I knew there was a chance to faint. That moment I passed out and probably fell to another passenger. When regained consciousness, there were like 20 passengers above me trying to wake me up. Thankfully, the staff stopped the train and I got off. They were polite and helpful. They gave me water and asked me if they need to call the ambulance. I refused because I know I donít have anything. I stayed in the station for 20 minutes and got the next train. Maybe the heat, who knowsÖ I do know now that I faint very easily. Have to be careful. It wonít be the best scenario to faint while driving or crossing the street or lifting weights. I guess I have to go to the doctor again.

That's scary, Dias. I'm surprised they've only done blood tests.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    That's scary, Dias. I'm surprised they've only done blood tests.
    The first time I fainted it was when I had very high fever. The blood test was ok. The doctor said dehydration. The second time was during the aforementioned blood test. I canít give more than three syringes(the small ones) of blood, I pass out, it has always been like that. The third time was on the train after work the first days of gastroenteritis . When I told the doctor he replied ďdonít worry, itís really easy to faint, you donít have anything Ē. Practically he told me it was a random/one time incident. Go figureÖ I went to another hospital and did blood test again, I was fine.

Yesterday though I was completely normal (no fever, nausea etc). I suspect it was low blood pressure. I have low blood pressure in general and maybe the extended period of calorie deficit weakened my body. Plus the heat ? Dunno

Is there anything else that I could have done aside from blood tests and checking blood pressure?

Platinum Member
    Mykonos has become the new Ibiza with the difference that the prices in Mykonos are astronomical. Notably this year that the whole Hollywood and Victoria Secret angels are there. Thing is, Mykonos is very average compared to other islands, but it has the crazy nightlife and they promote it a lot.

Everyone at work wants to visit the Greek islands. Some already booked. Others are hesitant because they thought at first it will be cheap. Apparently, this is not the case whatsoever. You can find reasonable prices but not at the most famous islands like Santorini, Mykonos, Zante and Corfu. But everyone wants to go there. They ask me all the time where they should go and if the prices they get from the travel agencies are reasonable. Then, they tell me ďoh itís very expensive, we will go somewhere elseĒ. The next week they ask me again about other Greek islands lol.

Last year Greece had 32 million tourists and a 16 billion tourism industry. This year the numbers are even higher. Chinese tourists ďjoined the gameĒ the last few years and when we are talking about a nation with 1.5 billion people, well, itís a game changer in the tourism industry (and pretty much in every other industry). I chat sometimes with a Chinese girl that we studied together and the last time she told me she is saving money to visit Greece. Other countries have more tourists like France (80m), Spain, Italy, UK, Turkey etc However the population of these countries are significantly larger than Greece, only Greece has three times more tourists than the native population.

Why do I care about the tourism industry? In effect because my business idea will target the hospitality sector mainly. Technology + tourism seems a good combination. It seems, dunno if it is in reality but it seems. I will find out pretty soon. It is a bold venture for sure, but I will try to do it with the lowest amount of capital it could be done so even if I fail (95%) I would not be in debt. I honestly believe itís a good idea for business. The business model will be fairly simple, the technical aspect is complicated and requires a lot of work.

I reckon I will need two years to tell if it is something that will be successful or not. What will happen if it doesnít go well? I donít have plan B but since I know myself I will probably start wandering around the world. I donít have a gf, I donít want to get married, I donít want kids so I donít have anything to lose to be honest. I think I went through all the emotional stages the last few months about this, now I am like who gives a f*ck, I donít care, whatever happensÖ. happens.
    Last edited by dias; 07-20-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Platinum Member
    What a coincidence! I quit yesterday and Boris became the prime minister today. I am moving back to Athens in two weeks. Perfect timing haha.
    Things are getting interesting, letís see what will happen with the (possibly) no deal Brexit.
    As the Italian lady at work told me this morning: ď Itís not only we that we are f*cked, British in Italy and Greece are f*cked tooĒ lol .
    Meh, my decision wasnít related to Brexit anyway.

Wow! So many changes!

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 414243444546 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice