LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    The Brexit happened eventually. Letís see the fiscal domino ramifications in the EU now .Sterling plummeted but this doesnít mean anything .Currency is just numbers , they donít really represent the reality most of the times . From a British perspective I do believe they did the right thing even though the short term financial repercussions will burden them for a while . They will lose some subsidies from the EU but nothing serious I assume . I do respect Cameron for his abdication . At least his has dignity for a politician . The only consequence that Brexit has to me personally is that the tuition for a Master degree will soar in the future for international students. I assume that international student will be considered everyone outside the UK . On the other hand the universities in the UK are businesses and the number of international students in the UK have already dwindled down and therefore I suppose they will not augment the tuition a lot for international students .

My father has been offered a ďpackageĒ to leave work earlier . He thought it for a while but I donít think he will accept . Itís really bad to stop working if you have been working very hard all your life but I suggested him to pursue a PhD that he so much wanted. Itís not that he will earn any income but itís never too late to chase your dreams . Besides he is born to spend his life in a lab . Or he could start a business . He could team up with some fellow pensioner engineers and start something . At least he will have something to do .

I talked with some colleagues about where are the best looking girls we have seen . Most of them agreed in Sweden . I have never been to Sweden but I have seen /met Swedish girls in Greece and I have to say they are indeed very good looking . We are talking about the whole race not individually of course . From my trips I have to say :
    1)judging objectively and based on conventional beauty terms , Dutch and Scandinavian girls are the most good looking
    2)judging based on my personal preferences I like Irish and American girls . But I judge based on appearance and the whole attitude ďthingĒ , I mean the whole package not just beauty .
    I donít like Latin American women generally as most men do , but I consider Russian girls good looking . There are very good looking Greek girls of course but I prefer girls from other countries . Maybe itís because I got bored the local beauty . I guess itís the same for ďnorthernersĒ when I go to northern countries . In Poland I got many numbers at a bar from girls because as the native guys told me I have black hair . hahaha . Itís nice to be easy for a change .hahaha
    The guys at work told me about Swedish girls that aside from the facial beauty they are thin and have bodies like models. Well thatís because they workout. You need to spend time working out in order to mold a good body. I hate when people tell about the nice physique thing when they themselves drink bear instead of working out Ö.Nothings happens without work .

Platinum Member
    I listened to the radio about a survey saying that more girls than boys study at universities nowadays . The amount of boys pursuing a degree has stayed almost stagnant for 30 years now compared to the amount of girls studying at the university. The outcome of the survey doesnít surprise me since 30 years ago most women were not chasing a career . Nowadays more and more women pursue a career ,not just a job and thus a degree is essential . The survey acknowledge the fact that the educational system is more ďcompatible ď with a femaleís brain meaning that since genetically men are inclined to physical activities and are visual beings the lesson at the classroom doesnít stimulate their interest . This is so true . Women are more auricular and by nature they can do sedentary jobs with ease and therefore studying is easier for them . I am very optical guy and I can attest this survey . I canít understand something if I donít see it no matter how many times I have listened to it (regarding studying I mean). So there is a need to adjust and adapt the educational system in order to make the lesson more interesting to boys . Hmm this is difficult , it takes time to change this ďcultureĒ of traditional teaching .

I made headway with learning Java . Actually I try to build a website but since I work only on weekends on this project it will take a year or so . But after that I will have a deep knowledge of Java and will have improved my programming way of thinking . The most important thing after a year of programming is to ameliorate your way of thinking and make your algorithms faster and more efficient . Programming is the future , engineering not so much . Cyber security will be the next IT ďboomĒ and cyber security is made from truly competent programmers . I have hacked websites and I have only used free tools without writing a line of code. Everyone can do it . Of course real hackers like anonymous program a lot themselves because everyone makes his own tool to hack which is extremely difficult by the way . Looking the websites of the largest ammunition and firearm companies the first thing you see are vacancies for programmers. Good salaries I must say but you need many skills to get a job like that .

Platinum Member
    I went to the bank to take my salary and it was 547 Euros . I laughed . I laughed a lot . This number for 50+ hours per week and for a programmer is not petty or sad itís for laugh . Thank God I am not chasing money and I donít really care about the wage for the time being . I do fathom that this is my first job but this salary is just pocket money . I donít make enough to rent a room and I still live with my parents at the age of 24. Itís sad. In order to make money you need to learn to work for free and coerce your brain to start working towards business and innovation. For the next three years I will have to suck it and keep practicing my programming skills and my English . I havenít spoken English for quite a long time and my verbal skills have ďdegradedĒ . Fortunately I study 30-40 minutes everyday to keep my writing skills at a ďbearableĒ level .

I canít stand my mother for several consecutive days . She always complain about me working all the time instead of hanging out with friends and find a serious girlfriend . Well on weekends I work for me not for the company and programming only two days per week for me is not enough but at least it is something . She doesnít understand that I donít work only to work without having any goal . She doesnít get it because she is not the ambitious type. What she considers normal is getting a relatively good job and start a family and blah blah. .. This is not a life for me , I have ambitions and I live for these ambitions , everything else comes second . I am starting to re-obtain my innate confidence that I lost during the universities years and my tenure in the navy . I began weight lifting again and I am full of testosterone now and it feels so good.

Platinum Member
    I like observing body language and facial expressions . I can detect the emotions and thoughts of most people whilst looking in their eyes. Everyone of course is capable of reading non verbal communication signs but not everyone is good at detecting them instantly . Women have the advantage on this game since their brain has 16 spots for detecting body language compared to men who have only 4 spots . This is why women tend to infer things about someone at the first sight . Women also posses circumferential eyesight and therefore they are able to get the whole posture of a person while looking at his face. On the other hand men can only see what is exactly in front of them which makes it difficult for them to find something when they search in the fridge/ closet/drawer etc. All these are very obvious on the flirting game . Women can ďcheckĒ a guy from the corner of their eye while men watch a woman from head to toe moving their head up and down. According to science , smart men apprehend flirting sings at the first womanís glance while the more silly the man the more glances are needed . Actors and actresses have a good grasp of body language signs but I wouldnít expect otherwise.

I tend to attract the kind of woman to whom I am not attracted to . I am starting to believe that I am attracted to this type but for some reason I donít think to know it or I donít want to accept it . I donít attract the usual ďgoodĒ or ďbadĒ type of girl but women who have this very womanly style. I canít describe it exactly but itís the more womanly/charming/seducing type .I havenít really consider these sort of women yet as an option since they are usually older than me but as I grow up I begin to like it. I get many glances from older women in the street or at work but I donít give it a second thought . Maybe I should !

Platinum Member
    The project was presented to the manger and I was told that he really liked it . I wasnít there and I am a bit agitated about not getting invited to present the project . I am not the only one who works on this project but I did the 80% of the project and I didnít get any credits . Itís not like I need to hear a praise or something but I got annoyed with the project manager for not inviting me to the presentation . Now everyone is programming on this project but only now that itís almost finished fsss. I am the newest there so I kept my mouth shut Ö

I canít think of anything else to write so letís write a story .I will write some sentences at a time .

14 July 2005
    I am seventeen years old and full of energy and imagination . I grew up and still live in Minor Asia in a small town near the Mediterranean sea . My family is of Greek descent like most families in the town . One of the few Greek towns which survived the minor Asia catastrophe. I can speak Greek,Turkish,English and some French . The mark of British and French merchants and dwellers from 1922 hasnít faded yet. Until 1922 Anatolia was very multicultural with many races doing business , from petty peddlers to international companies. Almost one century has passed , things are totally different now. My father is a seaman and my mother owns small coffee place. We live comfortably enough leading a peaceful and quiet life . Having spent my whole life here I know every path in the nearby mountains, every small cave and every secluded beach on the coast . I adore reclining on the sand watching the seagulls flying over the coast . I have been dating Helen for a while now . We are neighbors ,going at the same school , hanging out , having the same friends , it was inevitable I guess . I like spending time with her , loitering around and laughing about anything that comes to our mind . But recently I began feeling a change inside . I feel that this sort of lifestyle doesnít fill me anymore . I want to relocate to the capital and become someone. Unfortunately I have to wait a year until I get accepted to the university of Instanbul . I have so many dreams Ö

Originally Posted by dias
    The project was presented to the manger and I was told that he really liked it . I wasnít there and I am a bit agitated about not getting invited to present the project . I am not the only one who works on this project but I did the 80% of the project and I didnít get any credits . Itís not like I need to hear a praise or something but I got annoyed with the project manager for not inviting me to the presentation . Now everyone is programming on this project but only now that itís almost finished fsss. I am the newest there so I kept my mouth shut ÖÖ
    Don't get too bent out of shape about it. It's par for the course in a technical profession. The newbies do the heavy lifting. The important thing for you to do is to make sure that you are working for reasonable people who are good at what they do. This is important for anyone who has a career that is based on skill or expertise, especially those who are just starting out.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Don't get too bent out of shape about it. It's par for the course in a technical profession. The newbies do the heavy lifting. The important thing for you to do is to make sure that you are working for reasonable people who are good at what they do. This is important for anyone who has a career that is based on skill or expertise, especially those who are just starting out.
    You are absolutely right. I do have good coworkers and I learn many new things and I know I am lucky that my immediate supervisor who is an excellent programmer helps me a lot . The most important thing for the next couple of years is to learn as much as I can and that's why I regressed on this incident but I concede I got irritated for not getting invited . I mean ok I can accept it for a couple of years but I can't imagine myself in the future doing the heavy work with someone else getting the credits . I feel stupid and coward for not confronting him . Doing the technical stuff doesn't mean that I have to allow a manager (if we can consider management a profession) to receive the credits instead of me .

Originally Posted by dias
    I feel stupid and coward for not confronting him .
    No, you were wise not to. It could have made you appear impulsive or emotional. If you are interested in a management position with the company that you currently work for, that would not be good. Also, the people that you work with are your primary network. As time goes on, people move on to work for other companies in different situations. It's better to be on good terms with people, because you never know who will be able to open a door for you in the future.

Platinum Member
    I met a girl at work the previous week . We talked a little bit in the kitchen whilst taking our lunch and the next day(it was very early in the morning and we were alone) I asked her if she wanted to come with me for a coffee . She refused at first but when I came back from the kitchen and I was ready to leave she came with me . I offered to treat her a coffee but she didnít want because she already had one and told me we would go for a coffee the next day . But the next day she didnít want to go for a coffee(she wasnít rude or something ). I am not sure but I suppose she fathomed that I wanted something more than just a coffee between colleagues from my body language which is true indeed and I would have asked for her phone number if she had come . So I left her alone but then again when we met in the kitchen she started chatting with me and she was very talkative . I received mixed signals . Maybe she needed more time to get used to the idea and me .I do understand that women need some time to think over it and need to feel more ďfamiliarĒ with someone even before giving their phone number but I find this very annoying( I mean is there something to analyze?) . Anyway, we didnít have the chance to get to know each other better because she got transferred to another department.

Three other programmers got involved with the project and changed it a lot . The changes were necessary indeed but I felt a bit annoyed/sad because they changed my work a lot , but hey it needed to be done . Half of the employees are on vacation and the company underfunctions .It will be like that till the end of August and thus I uploaded my personal project on GitHub and downloaded on the pc in the workplace . Now that others got involved with the project and I handle easier tasks I can occupy myself with my personal project in between .

Platinum Member
    Itís been a while since my last post but I am totally engrossed in my personal project. I am doing well generally . I will not get any vacation since I am not in a travelling mood . I sound a bit bizarre at the office for not taking any vacation but even if get some days off I will just visit my grandma and work there all day. For the next 4 years I will not get any real ďvacationĒ meaning even on vacation I will work . This is the plan . And then travel some months and start a company somehow . There are three things I do religiously everyday: programming , working out and studying English . In 4 years I will have almost mastered programming , I will have ameliorate my English a little bit and last but not least I will have achieved the biggest part of my potential regarding my physical fitness. My daily life is extremely tedious but itís the only way to master what I do . For the years I have been working out I should have had better body but I donít have good genes . Actually I have awful genes , I put muscle like an ectomorph and put weight like an endomorph. It sucks but I compensate with my discipline. Quite strangely , I love working out but I donít have the right genes . On the other hand I used to abhor programming and I was mediocre at it but again I compensate with work. I hope when I open a business where I believe I have talent in commerce , my life would be more exciting and ďeasierĒ .Life will prove if I am right . Although I believe our destiny is our innate inclination and us ancient Greeks would say ďWhat has been fated cannot be avoidedĒ, I also believe that we need to help ourselves with doing the right choices in life from early on . I read somewhere a dictum ďlifeís path is long but it is travelled fastĒ ÖWise..

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice