LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 363738394041 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    It was a very long day today. Good day though despite the disappointing ending :)

I attended a speed dating event again. It was disappointing this time.

15 women, the majority of them was from Australia or NZ. With the exception of one Aussie and a Scottish, most of them were indifferent ( I am sure they thought the same about me). Only two out of 15 were good looking but there was no chemistry. Looks can't substitute attraction/chemistry unfortunately. This is the last time I attend a dating event. First, I can't spend 20+ pounds for nothing and second it just doesn't seem to work. From 15/20 people you meet, let's say only 1 or 2 of them will like you in terms of appearance and when you start chatting you find out that there is no chemistry. I mean, the odds are horrible in the first place. Not worth it. Plus, meeting people like this feels a bit forced. It's uncomfortable. Well, at least I tried twice for the experience.

Meet-ups are better. No pressure there.
    Last edited by dias; 02-09-2019 at 05:43 PM.

I just cant imagine trying to sum each other up under those conditions.
    Probably explains why I never did it.
    Yes to the meet ups!
    Outside of possibly meeting someone organically, you get to make some new friends.

Platinum Member
    It's the first time I see the hiring process in a company from the inside. The criteria of who to hire are soooooooooooooo stupid. I would like to punch some faces. In the end, getting a job depends more on luck than skills, experience and qualifications. It's pretty much like dating. If the people who conduct the interview like you, you get the job; if not, it doesn't matter if you have a PhD from Harvard, 1000 achievements, excellent communication skills and much more experience than them.

I have soooooo different criteria of how I judge people. I regret every moment I took it personally when I got rejected from jobs. It is just a numbers game until you find the right people.
    Why do they put the stupidest people in the company to conduct the hiring process? Is it a chore? I know my post would come across as judgmental but damn, I get angry from what I see. They catfish people with slyly written job descriptions (by their own admission) and silly tests and then they wonder why there is so much rotation.

I asked for a raise. If they donít give me a serious raise this or the next month when it is the annual review of salaries, I will find another job-and this time I mean it.

Platinum Member
    Your comments about the hiring process donít surprise me at all, dias.

Another factor that I find significantly influences whether or not a company will hire you (or grant an interview), is if you know someone who works at the company.

Doesnít matter if the hiring manager knows the employee who works at the company personally or not; it just helps that you as the interviewee knows a current employee, and thatís it.

Lots of politics and bs involved, unfortunately. Total cr@pshoot.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by milly007
    Your comments about the hiring process donít surprise me at all, dias.

Another factor that I find significantly influences whether or not a company will hire you (or grant an interview), is if you know someone who works at the company.

Doesnít matter if the hiring manager knows the employee who works at the company personally or not; it just helps that you as the interviewee knows a current employee, and thatís it.

Lots of politics and bs involved, unfortunately. Total cr@pshoot.
    Yeah, connections are the most important thing. Even in this small company (20 people), connections matter. Human nature.

But I was referring to the case when they hire someone without connections. It's almost pure luck if they hire you or not. Whatever....

Platinum Member
    A few minutes before I left the manager announced that two employees are leaving this month. Interesting!

Yup, lots of luck involved. And knowing people. That's why I blasted companies with my resume when I got out of graduate school. I sent out 60 resumes and got 2 hits! But one of them was a great job that lasted for two years. I would have continued to send out resumes if I hadn't gotten that job. I was only about halfway through my list. And if that didn't work, I was going to start looking out of state.

Another thing: the person who hires you can be an absolute incompetent idiot. I found this out at my last job (and my current job, to some extent).

Platinum Member
    We went to the museum of Natural History with the meet-up group today. In my opinion the building is more interesting than the exhibits. Here is a pic:
    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] by [Register to see the link] , on Flickr

This group is getting better and better each time. I like it. The more time you spend with the same people, the more comfortable you become with them which is great because you can actually start enjoying each otherís company.Of course that happens when you click with somebody. Everyone, including me, initially believed that people in meet-ups or in speed dating events would be some super weirdos. The reality is, most of them are actually quite normal and pretty cool.

I would say I am 70% certain that the host likes me. Now that we are getting more comfortable with each other itís getting interesting. It needs time to build a good level of comfort but when you get there you can start flirting a bit. I am a guarded person so I need time to feel comfortable around new people- although I do enjoy meeting new people.

Most guys are afraid to not end up friend-zoned. For me itís the opposite. When I feel comfortable enough, I play my good card which is flattery (obviously haha). I am not the funny, social guy but I know how to flatter people. And flattery goes a long way if you are good ;) Itís not a pick up method by any means but in the long term it works wonders.

There is a Scottish girl from Edinburgh who joined recently. Today we spoke more. She seems to be interested in me as well. I am interested in both the host and this girl to be honest haha :) Funnily enough, she looked very similar with the other Scottish girl from Edinburgh I met in the speed dating event. Both mentioned they like London but they prefer Edinburgh because people are more open and friendly. Hmm, I have to try Edinburgh at some point! By the way, people from Edinburgh have very normal and clear accent. She told me that people from Glasgow are the ones who have terrible accent.

This one is an introvert and she needs more time to get comfortable but we will get there if we both continue going to the meet-ups :)

The only hindrance is that I am not a native speaker and I have to think before I speak ( I donít have an aptitude for languages unfortunately). It is difficult to flirt when you have to think before you say something. It affects my flirting abilities by 70%. I keep trying though!

Originally Posted by dias
    Most guys are afraid to not end up friend-zoned.
    I thought most guys were afraid to end up IN the friend zone.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I thought most guys were afraid to end up IN the friend zone.
    Yes this is what I meant. Bad wording!

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 363738394041 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice