LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A day in the life

Platinum Member
    There was a guy at work that left some months before I came . From what I inferred and from what I have been told implicitly he was considered a bit silly and goofy . The funny thing is , he is now in NASA for a project . And the guys at work who were laughing at him couldnít believe it . I guess they have learned their lesson after this . Never underestimate and mock someone because things can turn around.

I need to improve my linkedIn account because they say itís important . I donít take very seriously all these social networking stuff. Most people take them very seriously and I wonder why . I prefer face to face communication if itís possible . Probably people feel safe and can tell things they wouldnít tell in person. It is very easy to misinterpret and perplex things. So whatís the point aside from free communication? I canít think any other usefulness .

Today I read about VCS (Version Control System) . When you have a project to do you need to keep versions of it . So instead of copying all the files on your local Pc manually you use (usually)a remote repository (Letís say you create a repository on GitHub) and keep there all the files and the versions of your project . So everyone else on the team can get a copy of that to his local pc. Every member of the team can make some tweaks on the project and upload the modified files to the online repository and merge them to the current project . Every copy on the local pc is synchronized with the online original project and thus everyone gets informed of the changes that some other member made. I needed to learn the commands in order to learn how to do all these stuff because I work with copies of the original project.

Platinum Member
    Today most of the guys at work were in bad mood . The project manager abruptly exploded because he thought we are behind in the project . I am new and I am not working with the main project right now so the pressure wasnít on me but it was on my supervisor . My supervisor was in a sulky mood too (I think his daughter is ill ) and he wasnít very helpful . I had to ask him repeatedly for his help . It is Monday anyway hehe.

The thing is , they donít give me a deadline and I donít know how much time I can spend for improving my work . I donít want to be told suddenly something like ďyou have to complete it until tomorrowĒ . Anyhow , I want to add some charts representing the data . It would be nice but I donít know how to connect the charts from the front end with the database. I can put the charts but without representing any data they are useless. I will try to find a way to connect the chart with the database tomorrow morning and if I donít succeed I will have to improvise something . I am thinking about a tree representing the path from the project till the action. (A project has many testcases and a testcase has many actions).I think I know how to do it but most of the times I am wrong because in reality the implementation is way more difficult.

So letís see the whole project again . We need a webpage or UI if itís not going to be uploaded . The UI consists of HTML5 elements. HTML is the program language for websites . With HTML we create elements . The most common element is called div and itís something like a square . But then we have to decorate this square. We use CSS3 for that . CSS is the tool to decorate the HTML elements . We use CSS for giving colors , importing images and navigate this square to the page. Then we have Javascript . This language is used to give ďlifeĒ to the HTML elements. For instance to make a progress bar or a loading circle . . So these three languages are used in the front end . After that we need to connect the page with the database . So when we write something in a text field such as username and password they have to be saved in the database. To implement this we can use several languages . I use a language called groovy but the most common are ASP ( , JSP(Java Server pages ) and PHP ( There are many databases . I personally use MySQL because itís free . So I have to create a UI that saves the XPath of an element to the database and then utilize another program written by a colleague in Java that opens a browser , find this specific element from the given XPath , and implements the action . The action is usually ďCLICKĒ .That means that the browser automatically clicks this element. You can find the XPath by clicking the right button on a webpage and choose ďInspect ElementĒ . Chrome is the most convenient for these kind of stuff. After that you click again the right button and you choose the ďCOPY XPathĒ . I take this XPath and save it to the database. And this is an overall image of my project .

Platinum Member
    I decided that I will write only on the weekends because I was too tired to do it during the week . I am more relaxed now and I can write without worrying about the time . I cut the coffee completely this week and I could sleep better. Itís a relief , I was exhausted by the lack of sleep .

Now that the program is almost ready everyone wants to take part in the project . Hahaha .I donít have any problem because most guys are senior programmers and I learn many new things from them . Some of them worked as web developers for many years before coming to this company and they are pretty good at programming. Two of them run some small online businesses . This is what I want to do too but I need to learn many new things until I can do something serious . I will try to learn as much as I can from these guys . I would like to run some online businesses on the side as well a few years from now . It would be a start for something more .

A discussion took place in the workplace and somehow it ended up about a project manager(she is a woman) using her husbandís credit card to buy things for her. Her words were ď I tolerate him so at least I can spend his moneyĒ . Oh boy these are the stuff that get me enraged . I mean she is a project manager she makes good money . But no she wants to spend his money . The relationship culture in Greece is horrible . Greeks want to have only the benefits of the relationship and not the drawbacks . I am talking about both genders but women are the dominant gender here for sure (despite people saying otherwise ). Well you canít have only the benefits , it is just the way it is in life. Advantages and drawbacks are part and parcel . But Greeks are never eager to learn and the worst thing is they donít compromise with the reality and cavil constantly . The same thing happens in politics but I would need a book to analyze this Ö

I was strolling at the beach contemplating about travelling again . I canít stop daydreaming about travelling . I love to travel , itís innate I guess . In 4-5 years that I will be adept at programming and competent enough to run online businesses I will be able to travel more . I am very dedicated and devoted to my career but I am not going to depart this life without visiting the places I want. Maybe not all but some of them . This is why a trade is always beneficial and useful . You can go everywhere and depend on your own abilities , not from some corporate rats. Itís feasible to find a job as a computer scientist due to high demand but itís always better to create your destiny and not go with the flow.

Platinum Member
    I made some changes on the program and it is *virtually* finished . Itís not yet finished completely but it is useable now and I am guessing we are going to test it by the end of this week. I have a bizarre way of solving problems . I hope they donít have any problem with my algorithms .

My brother is in Lithuania for a convention and he is sending me photos . It seems really nice . Baltic countries burgeon financially and I am pretty sure that many people will consider them as destination for jobs and quality of life in the foreseeable future . They are very close to Russia and it is somewhat precarious because they are still in the orbit of Russia influence .Anyway, many international IT companies like IBM etc open branches in the Baltic nations and Poland for software development . We are talking about big investments and given that there are plenty of competent software engineers in these countries they will have a small scale fiscal boom for the next 10 years or so.

Talking about Baltic nations and the nearby areas I have heard that Finland which is in close proximity is a very interesting country to visit . Finnish mythology is not very popular (outside Finland I mean) but from the little I have read itís very interesting . Finland is also known for the umpteenth gorgeous landscapes . In the photos their nature seems strikingly beautiful and this opinion is averred from many travelers . I am not sure though if North Selas is visible from North Finland . I assume it is because it is visible in Norway and Finland borders Norway to the north .

I really get totally absorbed when I watch the map . Itís really interesting and pleasant to observe the map . I can do it for hours . I open a second browser on wikipedia to read about the cities and their history . For instance , my eye caught a city called Tromso . . Gorgeous small city steeped in history . Itís so pleasant to read about places .

Platinum Member
    Saturday today , itís a sunny hot day as expected of course since the summer started . Work is going good generally. The program is almost ready .I have installed the appropriate software in a virtual machine we have at the company so that everyone has access to and now we need to set up a Jenkins server and configure it in order to run the program every night . Jenkins is a ďprogramĒ which is usually utilized for testing . One of the functions that provides is to set a specific hour in which the Jenkins server starts another program. You schedule it for 3 am letís say and in the morning when you arrive at work you get the results . Very practical .

I have mentioned that for the project we used Grails . Grails is a framework that is based upon two other frameworks (Hibernate and Spring). Yeap itís a mess really. Anyway Grails makes your life easier when programming . It uses Groovy as programming language. Itís suitable for start ups ,generally ideal for small to middle scale projects. But Oracle has prevailed in the market and large organizations use Oracle products and frameworks which are based on Java language. Programming with Java is way more time-consuming and more difficult than other scripting languages (scripting languages are the languages for web development ) but itís the number one language for employability . The better Java you know the easier it is to find a job . You could find job ďeverywhereĒ. Thus I decided to peruse Java thoroughly . I am capable of writing small websites with Grails but I think itís better to grapple with Java now for some months and then start to write my own programs with Java. We use Java at work so I will have to do it anyway but I think it is better to ameliorate my Java skills and become more ďemployableĒ simultaneously .Itís not that I care too much for becoming more employable but you never know Ö

My brother was awarded for the best entrepreneurial project at a local contest in Switzerland . He is searching for investors to open a company in the foreseeable future but itís not going to work out probably. He is in the wrong field because engineering needs a lot of capital and therefore the investors (reasonably of course) will always have the 51%. But you will be just an employee again. Pfff. So he is thinking about a part time MBA to jump to the ďmanagerialĒ field . Itís a sound choice . With a PhD and a MBA from the top universities of the world he will climb the corporate ladder fast without taking any risk and endure all the concomitant worries of opening a company. I am more lucky fortunately because as a programmer you only need some laptops and you can create something from scratch without taking any risk . Ok of course you will need investors after a certain point but that will be at a point where you know more or less if the company has potential .You diminish unnecessary risk which is tremendously important .

I read an article about the evolutionary layers of the human brain . A summarized article is . We can extrapolate from this that neocortex is practically the ďlogicĒ in humans and separate the human race from animals . Neocortex is responsible (with good meaning) for civilization since we are able to control (and curtail) our primitive instincts and care about things which are something more than satisfying our basic needs(controversial subject). Sociopaths are people with full fledged neocortex based on another article I have read .(I donít have the source now) . It makes sense to be honest but not everyone who has full fledged neocortex is sociopath or psychopath . Scientists develop and cultivate constantly the neocortex since itís their job to think rationally . But with this thinking we could say that sociopaths are the most civilized people? Ö Weird conclusion.

Platinum Member
    I read a bit about the Welser family. It was a German banking and merchant family , one of the most powerful families in Europe in the 16th century . . They loaned to Charles I King of Spain in order to bribe the necessary people and become the Holy Roman Emperor . He was the only person who achieved to rule both Spanish empire and Holy Roman Empire. He didnít manage to pay his debt and thus the Welser family obtained the Colonial rights of Venezuela . I think it was the only German colony in the American continent. But later the kingís decree was repealed and Welser lost the colony. Latin American countries have their own unique history in the colonization era. There are plenty of interesting stories about Spanish conquistadors and natives. Many fables and mysteries around the mythic El Dorado and the vast amounts of gold that Incas and other tribes had accumulated . For us now all these sound so exciting and thrilling but a lot of blood spilled on these conquests .

I observe that the ďbest technique phenomenonĒ exists in coding too. Let me explain . There is a perpetual search for the best programming technique and the best programming tools . Most programmers struggle to find the best technique which is a mistake in my opinion . Itís exactly the same situation with the best ďworkoutĒ plan we hear about at the gym or in the media . I mean most people canít see the forest for the trees . There are many many articles about the ďrightĒ workout using the right exercises with the right technique . I had read umpteenth myself before I realized itís a waste of time. You donít need to find the best workout routine , you just need to find a good enough routine(meaning you see a difference and definitely not very excruciating )and stick with it . This is the key part . Stick with it . It needs time . You will never find the best workout anyhow. The same thing happens in programming . They all try to find the right technique which is not essentially bad but itís very time-consuming . Instead you can optimize this time for creating something. Make use of your knowledge and create something innovative and make a step further .

One thing I have fathomed more recently is that time is the most important factor. I get it now when they say time is money. It is indeed. Itís a factor that you have no power to . A day has 24 hours . Some people make the right choices and succeed (in what they believe itís important for them of course)and others fail . Itís so important to use your time wisely .The key work here is ďwiselyď . Many people work hard , many people have degrees , many people are very intelligent but in the end just a few succeed .

I studied a bit about the bat files . Very convenient I must say. For example if you want to open ENA when you open your pc with only one click . Very easy. You just need to open a notepad and write some commands . Open a notepad , copy this start ďĒ and save your file in your Desktop as ENA.bat (the ďĒ are quotes ). When you click on this bat file it will open the browser on our favorite forum . Not very impressive I know but this is the simplest example .

Platinum Member
    Itís 9:30pm . I woke up at 6am again . I am a creature of habit * I canít make changes on my daily schedule when it comes to what time I go to bed since I will wake up exactly the same hour even if I have slept at 3am . It sucks if I want to go out at night but I usually donít so itís not that bad . My parents tell me ďif you are like that at 24 imagine when you will be 50Ē . Hahaha .

I worked around 12 hours today . 3-4 hours for the project I have at work and the rest for studying Java . There are so many configurations and software integrations that in order to start working(programming) you have to work . Itís bland and it sucks. The project manager and my supervisor change opinions everyday and I need to rewrite the program again and again every single day . Itís good for me because I learn but the project will never finish ÖYou need to postpone the deadline if you want to make tweaks on the program . Itís the rational thing to do . Other than that I think I am ďfindingĒ my way on the world of programming .Slowly but steadily .

My approach in life is that we need to improve our weaknesses to a level that they donít hinder us and focus on our strengths . For instance , I focus more on my creativity ,discipline, consistency and hard work rather than focusing on my weaknesses like impatience ,stubbornness ,not very multitasking and lack of the Ďentertainingí social skills .Everything can be ameliorated of course with work , there is no doubt about that but I prefer to cultivate my personal strengths . I believe in the uniqueness that every person in this world has . I mean there are plenty more intelligent programmers at work and I canít compete them in this field but I am better than them at thinking outside of the box .

I donít have time to take photos and I really miss that. There is nothing interesting for photography around here . I need some hours of driving to get to an interesting place. Plus the gas is very expensive in Greece . Itís outrageous . We have scanty incomes and the gas costs twice as much as in the US. What the heck with this country ...? No wonder that if you open the banks accounts of people who own small shops and retail businesses have millions and scientists live hand to mouth . fffffffffffffffsssssssss. Anyway enough with this subject Ö.

Itís difficult to maintain the same weight with sedentary job. I cut my calories a lot to achieve only to maintain the same weight . I finally got again under 10 %body fat but I couldnít perform well at work and I raised my calories a little bit . I like being ripped but itís not maintainable in the long term . I feel groggy and I my brain is befogged . I think I will try to maintain at 13% body fat . Itís the ideal . This is why actors feel dizzy when they have to be shredded . Itís cool but itís not tenable for too long .

Platinum Member
    I just came home and watched BBC for some minutes . The shooting in Orlando is all over the news . This guy killed 50 people . They say there is a connection with ISIS . He is of Afghan descent so there is indeed a possibility to have a connection with ISIS. All these mass shootings are usually committed by first generation Americans . They donít really get that they should be thankful for growing up there . This is pure ingratitude . All these incidents could be solved with a conscription in the army for the first generation Americans . Some people canít handle too much freedom Ö. I am also pretty sure he didnít have a serious/regular job . These scumbags are usually lazy people who are bored and follow every ďideologyĒ that is violent and extreme . And at the age of 29 he should be resting after a day of hard work , not loitering at clubs killing people Ö

This weekend went well in terms of work . I cleared the backlog I had for Monday and studied Java and NoSQL databases . I reckon I could begin programming (something serious) in two months . I have so many ideas for implementation , I am really excited hehe .

I talked with my godmother . She was a CEO at an IT company 10 years ago and we discussed generally about the field . I donít like the way she is thinking , she is competent of course but lacks common sense . I guess this is why the company didnít go well ÖI donít remember who famous said that but it was something like ďcommon sense is not so commonĒ . I second this opinion .

Before the conversation ended, she told me ďyou can always be a model if you wantĒ Hahaha . I was flattered of course but I canít imagine myself being a model . I donít like to attract attention in a room full of scientists , I would be like a fish outside water on the modeling world hahaha . Plus this field is full of drugs and perverts .My solitary/military lifestyle doesnít match there for sure . But I wouldnít mind being a photographer if I could choose another job . It would be perfect for me .

Platinum Member
    It was very hot today . Almost 40C . The influx of tourists has began . I guess we will have about 30m tourists this year . It is three times the population of the country . Itís the ďidealĒ weather if you want to rest at the beach all day but itís the worst weather for work . I wanted to program today but it didnít go so well because itís so hot inside the house (we donít have AC) and I couldnít concentrate .

Yesterday I went out with some friends and at the end of the night I slept with a girl I met through friends at the bar . It didnít fare very well because I lost my erection after 10 minutes or so . I was very tired and I couldnít perform nor was in the ďmoodĒ for sex . I believe it has to do with me being very tired and given that I am a morning person and I wake up at 6am itís difficult to do anything at midnight. But I also think that it has also to do with my workout . I do calisthenics everyday and calisthenics is more like cardio and less than weight lifting .A lot of cardio decreases testosterone temporarily but if you do everyday the temporary becomes permanent . I will supersede one calisthenics workout with weight lifting and see if there is a difference . I will do many heavy squats because leg exercises help to have better erection .

I donít have a lot of time to read the news but I heard something about the crazy guy who murdered the politician in the UK. Itís pretty obvious that ďsome powerful peopleĒ influenced him. Sure he was crazy but it was not a coincidence I believe . We will never know if there were others behind him (and what are the purposes exactly because I donít get what they achieved now if this is the case) or he was plain crazyÖ

I encountered a girl I used to like at high school . She is a party animal and works as a barwoman on Mykonos and other islands like this . She is 26 and she looks like an ugly 35 . After so many parties , booze ,drugs and lack of sleep it was inevitable . She still has nice body but her face is so worn that you think she is ugly which is not the case in reality . But everyone chooses his path in life . It would be wise to find someone to marry now that men want her otherwise she will have a hard time in 8-9 years .

I donít get why people think I am very conservative . I am not very conservative , actually I consider myself a libertarian . I donít like to drink ,smoke , and generally I lead a healthy and stable lifestyle but that doesnít mean I judge anyone who smokes ,drinks or has no ambitions . I will frown if I hear about drugs or nudism at the beach for example because I donít like them but I donít judge anyone who does them . Of course I would think less of someone who do drugs but I suppose itís normal . To be honest I never fathomed the nudism thing at the beach . It ok if you are alone or with your OH at a secluded beach but what kind of person goes to beaches for nudists ? I mean it would be great if I could go to a beach only with naked women (the paradise would be like that hehe) but I would never want to see anotherís man junk . Ugh disgusting Ö

Platinum Member
    I just finished my workout . I started weight lifting again because I donít like miscellaneous workouts. My new plan consists only weight lifting and only 4 times per week . I already feel my testosterone soaring again . Testosterone makes you feel more confident which is good but it makes you more aggressive too . Anyway I like the feeling haha .

Betting companies are making a lot of money in the UK now . If England chooses to exit EU then the EU will be demolished in the foreseeable future . I donít know if this is good or bad but it will happen someday anyway. Nothing lasts forever . Now with China skyrocketing , EU will stay behind . Only Germany is competitive in Europe . The future is in technology and Europe is already behind . Chinese who studied and worked in the US have imparted the expertise in their fellow countrymen and now China has began to invest in innovation . 20 years ago they were under communism and now is the second largest economy. How ďeasyĒ it is to change the status quo .

I will keep my paid holidays for October or November . I would like to visit my brother but I am also thinking about 1-1,5 week in Ireland or Iceland . Hmm I have been to Ireland so Iceland is more tempting(although I adore Ireland) . I need to buy a new camera beforehand .It would cost me a lot but for Iceland is a must . Iceland is famous for itís landscapes . Does anyone visit Iceland in the winter ?It would be so freezing that I would freeze in the middle of nowhere holding a camera like a statue . Maybe itís better to do this trip in the summer next year . When you see these photos you get filled up with wanderlust as TOV would say .
    '

I am so jealous of people who live in the countryside near nature . I do believe that humans need to spend time in nature . It is salutary for their mental health . Personally I feel serene and I really enjoy every moment I spend in nature . I am talking about more isolated places , not tourist attractions . I have spend hours on a dock at a secluded lake in Poland watching the forest , the animals and the sunset . I remember the sky was so clear at night that you could see all the stars. In the city you canít see anything nowadays Ö

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice