Drifting apart from my best friend

My best friend and I are both in our early 30's, we've been friends for about 7 years but just within the last 1 1/2 years we have gotten really close and called each other best friends. She is the nicest person you could ever meet, genuinely the truest friend I've ever had. Within the last 6 months-1 year she has gotten really close to this other girl. they go out together sometimes and I don't get an invite. I try to let it go, I don't expect her to always invite me, she's allowed to have other friends of course. But lately it's been more and more of the two of them and less of me. She is meeting and becoming friends with this other girl's friends also. I just realized yesterday that I have not seen my friend in a month...it's been like 2 weeks since we even really talked. I found out about a fairly important life event of hers from Facebook. She has texted me a couple of times in the past few weeks but I feel like we are drifting apart and I don't know what to do. She posts all these pictures on Facebook and inside jokes with this other girl. It hurts my feelings that they all go out in a group and I don't even get an invite. I've become pretty depressed to be honest...I have a couple other friends but we aren't very close really. My best friend values her friends very much, she lost a couple of close friends within the last few years due to them being bad friends and she was very upset about it so I don't think she wants to dump me as a friend. I just don't know how to get things back to the way they were...I was thinking of calling her tonight and try to catch up a little bit and see if she wants to do something next weekend. Any advice would be appreciated...

It's very sad what you're going through.

The best thing you can do is be honest -- do not get too dramatic, but say, "I miss when we were closer, we are drifting apart. It makes me sad."

That's all you can do. Prepare for the worst.

If that's too much, you will have to accept she's changed. She isn't the same person.

Value yourself enough not to let this hurt you too much, or get you down.

Unfortunately, things can't go back to the way they were. You sound very kind and sensitive and I hope you will go out and try to make new friends and not rely so much on this person who is quickly becoming a part of your past.

Prolonged friendship with her would actually hurt you, eventually, since you have more emotional investment in the friendship, she is treating it rather casually. I would try to cut this cord. ((hugs))

Archived