Best guy friend got a girlfriend

Lana318

We have been very close friends for over 5 years. To me, he has always been just that and nothing more. However, he likes me, at least used to until a month ago, and all our classmates know that. Now, I dont really know how I feel but it is certainly not a good feeling at all, like losing sth and even angry as well. He didnt tell me when he started to officialize his relationship with her, keep me in the dark completely like a fool while I always told him about my relationships in the past. Without that incident when I met both of them together, I doubt he would start to distance with me like he is doing now. I mean, just yesterday he told me they had had an anniversary last 3 days, and when I check my inbox, on that day 1 month ago, he still expressed affection for me a lot, he was just like him, trying to find sth even silly to keep the conversation going. I just dont get it. Does he still like me? Does he like her because she is also my friend and really if he hurts her, I would never be able to be friend with him again. I dont want to lose my friend and I want to be happy for him but how can I be when he just distance with me, not telling me anything like that.

He knows you are friends with his gf so he has to know you would tell her if he did anything wrong.

It sounds like he doesn't likes you in a romantic way any longer. It also sounds like they both kept it a secret from you so you wouldn't cause any drama while their new relationship was forming.

Reading your words you sound a little jealous. Not that you now want him but perhaps you want what they have?

Lost

It's common to have opposite sex best friends when you're young, but as people get older and enter into serious romantic partnerships, the opposite sex best friend gets put on the back burner. There is a different dynamic to opposite sex friends, and the new partner usually isn't comfortable with their bf having a girl as his best friend, so things need to change. Plus, the guy is now getting his very important emotional needs met by a romantic partner, which was probably once satisfied by a female best friend. He no longer needs the female best friend in that way.

Change is difficult, but you have to realize what's happening is normal. It's time to lessen the friendship you have with him as it was never meant to last a lifetime in the way that it has been.

I'd play Switzerland and go neutral. No drama, no 'what about me'. I'd just stay kind and patient with both friends. This is new to them, and they're not sure of the best ways to balance everything--so I'd cut them a break and not make this about myself.

Head high, you can do this. If you handle it well, you'll end up with both friends for the long range. If you blow that by trying to make either of them feel guilty or by being disloyal to either one, you'll add two enemies to your life. That's unnecessary--life is tough enough. Find more friends, and you'll overcome the discomfort you feel right now.

Did you expect him to fawn over you for his entire life? Surely you knew that one day he would find someone who could be his friend and lover and not just your emotional catch all?

Opposite sex friendships should ALWAYS change once one or the other is in a relationship. It is the respectful thing to do to stop one-on-one date like activities with your friend so that they can concentrate on doing that with their significant other. Surely you didn't keep up the same dynamic with this guy when YOU were in a relationship? If you did, then I would have to assume that doing that is a portion of why you are no longer together.

Anyway, chin up, now hopefully the two of you can get over your over-attachment to one another. Since you are also friends with his new girlfriend, you are more lucky then most and you will see him more often then most who have lost an emotional crutch to someone else.

You'll be fine.

Archived