Dating a girl but "single" on Facebook

RuedeRivoli

Is it normal if a guy who is dating someone leaves his (public) relationship status as "single" on Facebook? Yet, there's his profile picture is one of the two of them.

I've been wondering because I know certain people don't put much emphasis on the relationship status on Facebook, but this seems slightly shady in my opinion.

Anyone else encountered this before?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're saying about his profile photo?

It's a personal choice. Many of my friends don't disclose real relationship status on Facebook.

I mean, the profile picture is enough to gather they're dating, is all.

I know it's a personal choice. But if they're more or less showing it off with all these pictures, why leave the status "single"? It's not like it won't change anything.

Leave the statuts blank is something I understand because I've done it in the past, but leaving it as single is a bit odd.

Because he is single. People have different definitions of single and legally you are single unless you're married(or I guess married/divorced/widowed). He also might not want his professional colleagues to know whether he is dating someone.

He's not the type to view it from a legal perspective. I know for fact. Oh because posting a picture of them together isn't enough to clarify his status?

He's not the type to view it from a legal perspective. I know for fact. Oh because posting a picture of them together isn't enough to clarify his status?

It's not just legal - it's also how a person views it as a combination of legal and practical.

And no posting a picture is not enough for anything -it might be a friend or someone he went on one date with. One of my friends is casually dating a woman and he now considers her " a great friend" -he has no plans to make it serious. He has several photos of the two of them.

This might be a sign that you need a bit more going on in your life.

It's not just legal - it's also how a person views it as a combination of legal and practical.

And no posting a picture is not enough for anything -it might be a friend or someone he went on one date with. One of my friends is casually dating a woman and he now considers her " a great friend" -he has no plans to make it serious. He has several photos of the two of them.

This might be a sign that you need a bit more going on in your life.

No, it's not a sign of anything. It's someone I know personally, so I asked is all.

I'm busy as it is, but I was simply wondering because I don't use FB all that much and most people I know update their status, so I was wondering.

It's no big deal really. I was curious to understand the whole FB relationship concept. It's not so much about him or her specifically.

I never ever update my relationship status because really it's no ones business if or who I am dating. The ones in the 'know' do know. Personally I think all the best relationships I know are not on FB at all.

Thanks for your input. I get it.

I personally never updated my relationship status but never left is as single per se. It's blank because it's nobody's business who I'm dating or not dating. I simply was curious about the combination of "single" + the pictures, but I guess everyone has their own interpretation of their own online postings.

I asked a question, got answers, period.

You're not a moderator, so thread closed is a bit rich coming from you.

You could have thanked people for the time to respond rather than a very rude never mind.

But , as you said you got the answers you wanted so "thread closed " was you closing the thread.

No, it's not a sign of anything. It's someone I know personally, so I asked is all.

I'm busy as it is, but I was simply wondering because I don't use FB all that much and most people I know update their status, so I was wondering.

It's no big deal really. I was curious to understand the whole FB relationship concept. It's not so much about him or her specifically.

I don't think there is an "FB relationship concept." FB is a social media site that people use -or don't use -for all types of reasons. Some people post their relationship status and some do not. I would not read into it unless a person who is married posted "single" AND acted on that by trying to date you. Then it would personally affect you and that person would be using a social media site as part of a way to mislead you.

I'm sure they're not related. He only has two pictures though and she doesn't have anything.

Not too long ago, I was talking with a male friend - he was complaining he didn't have someone to take to an event. I said, "take your wife." He said I'm not married. I said, "what about your Facebook profile with that woman and child?" He's like that's my sister!!! (The woman had the same last name as him.) I totally assumed they were together.

I was previously in a year-long relationship but never changed my status to "in a relationship" because things were kind of rocky (but I had photos of the two of us together).

Because he is single. People have different definitions of single and legally you are single unless you're married(or I guess married/divorced/widowed). He also might not want his professional colleagues to know whether he is dating someone.

I told my husband I consider myself single until we got engaged. But I didn't have anything listed on Facebook (single, in a relationship, etc) until I got married. Now it says married.

Archived