Why are people always so negative about the idea of committing suicide?

The Cold One

Personally , I think that committing suicide can be in a lot of cases be the most rational and therefore the right thing to do , I mean think about it ? you're gonna die anyway , if you have some definitive evidence that your life is going to either be an awful one or,in the best case scenario,be just a one that's not really that good or interesting , then what's the point of living this sort of life , why not just end it right now and save yourself the effort . And even if you think that this ain't true and that somehow there's hope , then still , this hope that things could get better is just a possibility countered by an almost equal other possibility that things are never really going to be that good. I personally am fond of the idea of killing myself . The only thing stopping me is this stupid and irrational survival instinct we all have as living organisms. If I'm able to defeat it , then I wouldn't even give it a second thought and just do it , just end it right there.People always say that "it's not worth it" . I agree with that statement except I think that nothing is really worth living for because it's all really destined to end eventually . If you were able to do or create something that the whole entire earth population would glorify you for , you're still gonna die , the entire human race which you served there is gonna be wiped out too, and all what will be left is nothing , just pure nothing,so what's the point then? I'm not gonna do it , just to be clear , however, if I could I would. .Anyway what do you guys think about this .

With that attitude, men would still be apes living in caves because why bother with anything? Life is creation. Death is void. To each on their own I guess but you don't need to be good or interesting to be able to contribute to the a worthwhile cause.

I've struggled w/ thoughts of suicide many times, even gone so far as put the gun to my head and my finger on the trigger. But there's always the one thought of "what if".

What if things could get better?

What would I miss?

Who would I hurt by doing this?

Just those three questions I belive would stop a lot of ppl.

Listen, life don't have to be extraordinary to be great, it can be mediocre as hell and still be great. You just have to take the hand you've been dealt and make the best of it. If you don't like your current situation look to see what you can do to change it.

Idk how old you are, but I'm pushing 40. So I'll give u a quick run down of my life

Grew up in a little Podunk town in south Al, where I was expected to grow up, get hitched, take over my dads company so I tried. Went to work there at 15 working 32hrs/week putting in floors on semi trailers in 9th grade. Ages 16-18 working in weld out at night and set up during the day, by the time I was 17 I was working 40hrs/week on a grown mans job, turned 19 got put in the office to learn how that works, turned 20 got hitched. Everybody was so proud and so happy except me, so I changed it talked myself in to a job in Panama City Beach on a charter boat spent 10 years doing that then came over to the oilfield, found my way to Ky via a good friend of mine, now I have a good mediocre life. I work 28 days on, stop in Al and see my son then head on home to my Ol lady, to our otherwise boring life. I'll never hobnob w/ high falutin ppl in high places just normal folks like me.

Long story short no matter how mundane and boring your life may seem you have the oppritunity to make it good. It's totally up to you

Nobody knows the future, everyone knows the past. Positive people think about the future in a positive light, negative people dwell in the past and can't even contemplate the future.

One can continue as they are hoping for a better future but it's the positive ones that make it happen.

It's about changing your mindset.

You are continuing as you are without making the life you ultimately want. Stop surviving and start living.

A very simple example might be that you eat to survive. We all do. But why not enjoy it at the sane time.

Cook something you never thought you could. Or go out once a week to dine with friends and enjoy this basic survival ?

It's not about being born and then die. Getting from a to b. Take the scenic route!

Take some risks. Just start living rather than surviving.

Stop looking for external things to make you happy. Just do what you want that makes you happy.

This can be simple daily changes!

My attitude has changed as I have got older. Yes I'm one of the folks that trot out the old clichés to young adults that things will probably improve as they get older. The trouble is, the older you get, the opportunities become more limited. Most "middle class" folks are financially secure and have their properties paid for by the time they hit 60. They can then travel and do things they couldn't do while they were raising kids and paying a mortgage.

I won't. I will almost certainly have a delayed, short and impoverished retirement.

My parents enjoyed a period of sustained financial comfort which compensated for failing health. I think if I became terminally ill, I would take my life when the pain became unbearable. I don't expect a lot from life these days but as long as I can walk my dog, make myself something to eat and enjoy my hobby, I'll be OK-ish. If I become bedridden, I will lose the will to live.

So, I get where you are coming from. I'm not going to disagree with you, in principle. What I will ask, though, is have you totally exhausted all possibilities to improve your life? Are you prepared to take risks? Do you have any people who will really miss you if/when you die?

Even though I'm quite depressed at the moment, my wife, daughter and dog keep me going. I'm not that close to my extended family and don't have any close friends but have 2 people and a dog I will keep going for.

I'm a spiritual person and I believe we were all put in this world for a reason (I don't know what the exact reason is). But we can always give a reason to live to ourselves.

I've often felt very depressed and suicidal (and had a psychotic episode). I impulsively tried to commit suicide twice in my life - once as a 14-year-old and once as a 28-year-old. I overdosed on medications both times and the second time on paracetamol/acetaminophen, so after I had done that, I really was waiting to die, as that can give you liver failure and death. I realised after my impulsive suicide attempt that I was actually absolutely terrified of dying. Afterwards I felt extremely guilty for doing that to all my friends and family.

I actually really regretted what I had done and realised that I didn't really want to die, it's just that at that moment I had felt extremely intense emotional pain. But that pain can eventually go away and that's exactly what did happen.

My ex-boyfriend and best friend of 3.5 years killed himself when he was only eighteen and though we had made a suicide pact, his death caused everyone such immense pain that I had sworn to myself I would never do it. I've been holding on for my family and friends and if that is my reason to live, so be it. I also love my job where I support people with disabilities and the way I see it, they need my help, so that is another reason to live.

I mean, sure, one day we will all die. But if you had a cinema ticket to a two hour movie, would you choose to leave five minutes into the movie, or would you watch the whole movie? Personally I'd like to watch the whole movie and see what happens

You are 17 TCO. And I know from your other thread that you are having a difficult moment because of educational matters, trying to see what career might suit you, your present environment, and a host of other things.

Your life is before you, TCO. Many would give anything to be 17 again. L.

Sometimes, things look black. But the one-way ticket is not the solution.

Just to add in reply to your remark:

"if you have some definitive evidence that your life is going to either be an awful one or,in the best case scenario,be just a one that's not really that good or interesting ,

If I had definitive evidence about the future I'd be a millionaire! The future is a mystery, we have absolutely no way of foretelling what will happen, and even less so do we have evidence of any kind as regards the future. Life is what we make it.

I've thought about suicide at various points in my life, most recently in my early 30s, following a break up. That particular scene is vivid in my memory. I was standing on a balcony about three stories up, smoking a cigarette, overwhelmed by feelings of sadness and defeat, unable to escape the sense that things would never get better. I looked over the railing straight down to the ground below me and thought, "I could do this now and be done." That was a freeing thought. Equally freeing was the laconic response that came forth from within me: "Nah."

Not "No!" with an exclamation point and a feeling of fear or revulsion. Just "Nah" with a period at the end and a blah lack of interest. Almost like I thought it would be no fun.

Personally, I tell strangers not to kill themselves because I think it's most prudent to suggest the "least harm" option. But if someone said to me, "I am going to go kill/hurt a bunch of other people," I would suggest they kill themselves first.

Movies and popular media completely misrepresent and at times glorify this. It's a not a lovely body lying there with all those left behind crying in remorse for what they could have, should have done. The body is soiled and the scene is ugly. Those left just shake their heads and say, what a shame. Then they continue about their happy lives.

I personally am fond of the idea of killing myself .

The cold one, evolution happens based on the environment we put ourselves into, if it werent for some of our distant relative that took chance and went living on the ground we would probably still be on the trees. If it werent for the guy that took chance and said "lets cook the meat", we probably wouldnt solve mathematical problems now. And what about technological evolution,etc.

Well wiseman , if I'm gonna do it , then it's not gonna be for the sake of provoking sympathy from people I barely know . I'd do it for my own peace , and when it's done I won't even feel anything at all , so it won't really matter what would people think or feel at that point because I'll no longer be there to experience it , and plus this is more encouraging to be honest , the thought that my death won't really matter that much to anybody else makes me rather comfortable doing it than the opposite .

Suicide and mental illness - the link.

"We have come together to challenge the stigma that surrounds vulnerability and struggle – something we will all experience in our life. We come with good hearts, passion and determination. We come as individuals who believe suicide prevention is for all of us to tackle and all of us to own."

"“I’ve seen first-hand what suicide does to family and friends. I believe the way society stigmatises mental health is wrong, let’s leave this with ours and previous generations, if the next one can talk openly, confidently and comfortably about their mental health & wellbeing, and receive the right support when things are not okay- then we’ve done a good job.

I believe what Caroline and the team in SOS are doing will lead the way towards achieving this and I want to help!”"

/

With that attitude, men would still be apes living in caves because why bother with anything? Life is creation. Death is void. To each on their own I guess but you don't need to be good or interesting to be able to contribute to the a worthwhile cause.

Not really, in classical times up until a few hundred years ago at least, suicide did not have this stigma that it has now. Suicide was seen as an honorable way to go, and what do you know, they didn't live in caves. I'd even argue that the thought process in those bygone days were in many ways better than now.

Unfortunately, they find lone wolves or those in transition or the disenfranchised or in some cases perfectly normal people who they then insidiously brainwash to make the insane seem normal. Look at were the phrase "drink the Kool-Aid" came from. Sad..

Yes, Wiseman, and they prey on and target the mentally unstable, the maladjusted, the psychological misfits.

Archived