started antidepressants....

Hi all,

So first time in my life I started antidepressants yesterday, after visiting a doctor. The reason for feeling this way is recent breakup (and the way it happened), feeling lonnely and single at 33, and in general hopelessnnes.

Are there any things I need to keep in mind while taking the meds? Such as no alcohol etc? Or spend some good time being around people and not by yourself etc

Thanks.

It's better to take them in the morning. If I took mine before bed I would be bang awake at 4. And pay attention to how you feel - it might take a little bit of trial and error to get the best dose for you. (Too small and I felt no effect. Too much and I felt emotionally great but my brain felt like it was chewing tinfoil.)

And get good exercise, good food, and good sleep. Work with them.

Thanks all. Dr has given one pill for morning and two other kinds for evening. He did say the morning pill may make me feel drowsy.

I have been feeling like a big hole in my stomach. And a bit of chest pains. But that's even prior to starting the meds

For most meds alcohol isn't a "problem", but it will inhibit them from working. You probably wont have health-effects, but expect mood-perturbations after drinking. I can't guarantee though, because my doctor gave me two pills to take together... I'm a bit curious why you were prescribed three medications off the bat.

I also recommend taking them in the morning.

They gave me weird dreams where I was continuously waking up within dreams. I basically had dreams where I woke up several times in different homes and had nightmares in each one,

It's tough and still happens sometimes, but my girlfriend's supportive and helps me through those mornings...

So if it happens, don't be too scared... It REALLY helps to have some sort of 'fact check' in your room that tells you it's really your room. A sign, mirror, or something like that.

I've never been on antidepressants but a good friend of mine is. She has nightmares, lots of them, but her mood when awake is stabilized. She can drink in very small amounts, anything more than that and her mood swings are crazy. No sex drlive whatsoever, but she says it is worth it to be stable mentally. She is bipolar and has schizoaffective disorder. Her meds keep her functioning, with a flat affect and no sex drive, but her 18 personalities are gone and she doesn't cut anymore. So, as she says, worth it.

I don't know what kind you're taking....but my bro and I both had Paxil. Made us both have hand tremors.

I took mine for 2 months. Gained 20 pounds in that time....and hardly eating anything. (depressed...lol) So I weaned myself off of them.

Thought I felt worse taking them.

Hole in stomach...and chest pains. Normal. Just anxiety and broken heart. Same thing for me.

Diazapam (valium) works the best for me, when I'm feeling that pain in my chest and upset tummy...and general anxiety, depression and all that goes with being dumped.

The

I've been taking Prozac for a little over a month now, get plenty of exercise, surround yourself with positive people and begin to focus on becoming a better you. I am sorry for your break up but with time things will become easier to cope with. Hang in there!

Prozac made me bad tempered!

WLH.

I just wanted to remark here that bereavement (and breaking up is a form of bereavement as it is a keenly felt loss) is not a mental illness. If it were the entire population of the world would be on antidepressants. However, your doctor has decided that this medication is for you.

"....feeling lonnely and single at 33"

You and thousands more, I should think. Lonely and single is not a mental illness either.

/

It depends on the type of medication it is and the side effect profile, precautions that came with the prescription. However, side effects can vary greatly. Agree that protracted grief that descends into generalized hopelessness, etc. is a good thing to have addressed by a professional.

Of course positive life-style changes will help a lot as with anything else. Anti depressants are not happy pills they just typically jump-start the neurochemistry. So good general physical health habits are a plus as well a being in uplifting/positive environments.

So first time in my life I started antidepressants yesterday, after visiting a doctor. The reason for feeling this way is recent breakup (and the way it happened), feeling lonnely and single at 33, and in general hopelessnnes.

Are there any things I need to keep in mind while taking the meds? Such as no alcohol etc? Or spend some good time being around people and not by yourself etc

• 2 weeks later...

Archived