I hate my dog

Vallan

It's a bit long but please bear with me till the end of the post.

At first we decided to adopt only one dog from the shelter. But my other sibling and I ended up wanting different dogs. So in the end we adopted two.

(Let's go with "A" for the one I picked , and "B" for the one my sibling picked)

It started off good , I adore both , although to be honest , not going to lie but I do favor A slightly more than B. But both still get lots of attention and affection from me when I'm around. My sibling rarely sits around and spend time with the dogs after a while. At the beginning she does at least spend around 20 mins or so with them , but as for now , basically it's just a few secs glance and "hey guys , night guys" and then that's it for the "spending time with dog" for her as she gets back and just goes in the house.

We've had them for around 5-6 months now. All was good until around 3 weeks ago. When I caught B for eating / really enjoying his own poo. It disgusted me a little that time. But I still loved him , but I won't let him climb up to me and lick my face anymore since then. That was just that.

And soon after , his bad habit of doing loud yelping sound gotten really bad. He did do that before , but it wasn't so often and loud so I just ignore it. And sometimes if I'm around when he does it , I corrected him telling him "shh" and "no". But it's getting more and more often now he does it. Usually starts around when we're about to let them out from the backyard after my mother comes back from work. B will start doing that annoying loud yelping sound, while A basically just relax and wait until one of us comes open the door for them later.

The sound of B's yelping is so loud that I can hear it all the way while I'm upstairs with my earphones on. Usually when it goes on for almost 5 mins , I'd lose my patience comes down and tell him off. Few secs after I leave , B will start that annoying act right away again. Why does he never learns?

I guess this might be the part where things accumulate little by little over time where I got to hate B now. I even had a big quarrel with my sibling regarding B too recently. About her always not around and spend time with her dog and stuffs. And she went about saying crap like " oh I got a life unlike you ! you think I got time blah blah and etc " My reply to that was if she knows she doesn't have time , then seriously why bother to adopt a dog in the first place. Things would've been much easier if it was just with one dog. Even the weekly bath and all , my mom and I are the ones doing it. Usually she's out by then or sometimes claims that she doesn't wants to get dirty again as she just done her bath.

B is roughly 7 months + by now , whereas A is around 3 months younger. Why is B being such a yelping baby all the time? I was around to correct them all these while , and he just never learns. A is much more obedient than B. After a few stern corrections she knows it's wrong and stops doing it most of the time too. Why is this B being such a hard case? It's really hard to me to try love him now. Especially with his yelping part. I just can't take it anymore. It's really annoying as heck when he does that. And this is on a daily basis situation.

Personally I would feel that he's better off back at the shelter. But probably not really an option as he's not exactly my dog for me to decide. Buy hey , my sibling's barely home and barely spends time with B. Any tricks or corrections with these two are mostly by me. But my patience is over now. So seriously.. if anyone out there really has any suggestion to a solution.. I would really love to hear it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I didn't even read the whole post, but I think you have issues.

I am a dog lover and advocate. Dogs yelp because they have anxieties and possibly medical conditions. Dogs cannot

Communicate the way humans do. To 'hate' a dog for being a dog is a very hateful and mean spirited thing to say.

By all means return him to a non kill shelter so someone else can adopt and love him.

Just because your other dog is younger and more obedient doesn't mean B is not still a puppy and can't act like one. I understand you're frustrated that your sister doesn't take care of her dog and the responsibility falls on you, but honestly if you're going to "not love" your puppy because it yelps and you don't want to take care of it, find it another home with someone who will. He's still a baby regardless of how your other dog acts. Every dog and breed acts differently and it's not fair to compare the two. Puppies will yelp if they are hungry or want to go outside, their bladders are smaller than an adult dogs and if you say he's yelping every night when it's the time he's supposed to go out, I'm assuming that's the reason!

Please don't neglect this puppy just because you're frustrated with your sister and/or he yelps. Reconsider having this dog and try to find a family before you bring him to the shelter.

You hate an innocent animal because of some fight with your sister? Are you serious? Have some compassion for this animal that you RESCUED from a shelter. It's a rescue dog, it probably has anxiety issues or something.

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Take the dog to get some training. Sounds like you both have no idea how dogs work, think or how to train and take care of them. Having a dog is as much responsibility as having a baby.

Shocker: dogs are not human. They don't behave like people. They need someone to be in charge, they need routine, they need a pack leader. If neither you nor your sister can be assertive enough to be the leader one of the dogs will take over that position.

Anyway, really can't believe you're taking your anger at your sister out on a poor innocent dog. It's probably suffering and has some issues from its last owner or something and you are just hating it?? That is messed up. Dogs can feel energy. Maybe it's started barking more because he can feel your hate.

Please read a book or take a class on dog behavior. He's not a person.

Well , please do read the whole thing first before judging. If I really had issue I would've hate both of them from the start and not agreed to an adoption in the first place.

I very well adore A. Even though there's been issues and stuffs , but I gave corrections and she listens. That's it. B on the other hand...

Yes that's the part. It's fine if it yelps once in a while. But this is too much. Yelps daily for more than whole mins before the time comes when we let them out to the front yard. After he gets out , he'll come right at the front door part and starts yelping again to enter the house. I mean seriously.. it's been 5 months now , they should know the little routine we have about getting outside and all by now. Plus reason why we need to keep them in the backyard sometimes is cause some of us needs to drive out and we don't really want them dashing out the gate. It's really hard to catch them once they're over excited and running off.

No , we adopted them from puppies. There's no previous owner stuffs. And no I'm not simply hating the dog just cause of some quarrel with my sibling. Even before that it just starts to pile up.

So what are you going to do if you have a child and it cries?? Are you going to hate it too? I hate to break it to you but dogs require attention and love. They whine and yes 'yelp' when they are distressed. Please give the dog back....it is clearly not in a very loving home.

Pay him more attention. Dogs are like kids they need attention. Coal was just yelping at me so I played w/ him for a few. Them eatin crap, when me and Coal go to the woods and I see him stop he's either found some crap and trying to eat it or has dug up a shrew and trying to kill and eat it. Right now I'm getting some lab love. A pup is very in tune to how you feel, his acting out is prolly just him wanting to love on you. So just enjoy being a dog person. Yes they do some disgusting things, but then again to them, you do too ]

Greetings from me and Coal

Well that's the thing.. as I've stated it all started well.. I gave affection to both. I even sat out with them in the backyard for 3 hours straight every night and stuffs. Both will lie beside be as I pat and stroke them. I just don't get why I can't get B to learn the corrections. Affection is definitely given , only until recently when I'm starting to feel a bit too frustrated. If you hear how loud and often he does it , you might understand my point a bit more.

I think you and your mum need to get together and get your sister to take more responsibility for her dog. This situation is not fair on anybody and, least of all, her dog. The poor dog is feeling neglected. I can understand your frustration.

Thank you for this. Yes that's what I told her. And her reply was she's got a friggin life and too bad for me I'm such a sad person as I can only see a dog as a friend and I don't go out , so I don't understand her part of having friends and a life.

Which doesn't really answer my question for her. I'm telling her all the time "spend more time with your dog". Do you really want to know how many mins , she spends with the dog nowadays? Barely , maybe just a min or two saying , hey guys , night guys , then goes right in the house after she comes back.

I still sit out with those two daily , min roughly 2 hours , max , could go up to 3 hours or so.

You're not training him properly!

Get proper training, or find him another owner!

Well I did my best on my part. If they're doing anything wrong , catch them in the act , if they learn from the correction , praise them. Ain't that right?

I really did this over and over a lot of times for these past months. But it just isn't working. And if you're talking about finding B another owner , please ask my sibling to do so. She was the one who picked B during adoption. And yet barely even spends time with him. I'm the one doing it all. Our previous agreement was to only go for one. But since she wanted another , we went for two , and this is how things end up now.

You need to talk to your parents about the dogs, about your sister's lack of care AND you need to push to get the dogs proper training with someone who knows what they're doing.

Dogs yelp, you will not find a quiet dog unless you just get luck of the draw. Although where I live the more noise they make, the bigger they are, the better I like it. A quiet dog for me would actually be a liability. I want them to bark and growl and set up a fuss. But that's likely because I live in the middle of nowhere where predators, both animal and the human variety, like to roam thinking they're untouchable. That's not true when my dogs set up an alarm and it's definitely not true since these dogs are trained in a multitude of ways to act to protect.

But that high-pitched yelping? Yeah, that's because the dog is bored and lonely and just wants someone to play with him. Yelping is a dog's way of saying, "Come play with me, I'm bored. Even wolf cubs and wolves do that. BTW) He's not getting enough exercise, he's probably a bigger dog, am I right? You or someone needs to take the dog out daily and run, not walk, at least a good long while--say a half hour minimum. Having a backyard is not the same as taking the dogs out for a run, which someone should be doing. As to the eating poo, well good luck with that or you're just not a dog person then because they all do it. Worse, they'll roll in it if they get half a chance. I have horses plus big dogs and yes I keep a hose handy by the back door for that reason.

The fact is what you're describing is a dog who is untrained and to some degree neglected. Talk to your parents about it, choose to take the dogs out for a run every day, and learn about dog training or yes indeed talk to your parents about rehoming the dogs, both of them, to someplace else.

And don't have dogs IF you're going to not train them properly in the first place. I hate to be harsh, but this is one time the finger points back at you and your family. Too many people think dogs are toys and they aren't. And this is what you're running into, the dog is not trained properly, you are not trained properly, your family is not.

A dog, any animal really, is only as well-behaved as they've bonded with you and received proper training, love, attention and reinforcements for good behaviors versus bad. There are no bad pets, only bad owners OR a mismatch between pet and owner's personalities which definitely can happen. I have a horse now, a little mustang, who was not getting along with his previous owner at all. The horse half killed his previous owner, got him down in a pen and stamped the crap out of the guy, but has never so much as raised a hoof to me. But that's because we get along personality-wise. I'm also not penning the little guy up with no exercise either. It makes a giant difference, trust me.

So yes, that is a factor, but it's not a reason to hate an animal. If this is causing problems the person to talk to is your parents and get the dog more exercise, real exercise not just running around in an enclosed fence, get him and all of you trained, or yes take the dog to a no-kill shelter to be rehomed by someone who knows how to take care of him. And by that I mean more than thinking food, water and a little fenced in backyard are enough. They aren't.

Then get a cat or a quiet pet like fish and be done with dogs. Not everyone is a dog person, no shame in that, but it's pure foolishness to have one simply for the sake of having one and that's what you're running into. I would suggest you calm down a bit, get online and do some research on animal behavior and how to properly train a dog. Urge your parents to give you classes. You can either take this dog on as your project and work to create a bond and cure him of this or something. He's a young dog, training at the age you describe is very, very easy. Almost pathetically so if the dog in question hasn't be abused.

Training, training, training. I cannot stress enough how important this is for dog and owner both. Anyways I hope you work this out. It's all the advice I give anyone in this situation.

P.S. I know this is your sister's dog, shame on her for not taking care of the animal, but this is where your parents should come in. If they aren't that's on them, but it sounds like in the end you're honestly the one who cares. You actually can make a difference, you notice the dog and that he's unhappy. That's a really good start, so if the dogs can't be rehomed (and I say dogs, because if you take the one away the other one will most likely start to act out, dogs like people, do best together) then you learning how to train the dog properly and/or getting the dogs some obedience classes with a qualified individual--not one who advocates violence as a method of training--and get the dog trained. The yelping will stop if the dog gets proper training and understands this is not something that gets him anywhere.

You hate an innocent animal because of some fight with your sister? Are you serious? Have some compassion for this animal that you RESCUED from a shelter. It's a rescue dog, it probably has anxiety issues or something.

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Take the dog to get some training. Sounds like you both have no idea how dogs work, think or how to train and take care of them. Having a dog is as much responsibility as having a baby.

Shocker: dogs are not human. They don't behave like people. They need someone to be in charge, they need routine, they need a pack leader. If neither you nor your sister can be assertive enough to be the leader one of the dogs will take over that position.

Anyway, really can't believe you're taking your anger at your sister out on a poor innocent dog. It's probably suffering and has some issues from its last owner or something and you are just hating it?? That is messed up. Dogs can feel energy. Maybe it's started barking more because he can feel your hate.

Please read a book or take a class on dog behavior. He's not a person.

You have no idea how many dog training posts and videos I've been watching. Even on Caesar Milan's video advice and all.

And I'm not treating them like people here. It's just been a long time for it's habit and never getting better.

By all means they both came as puppies. I spend time with them , catch them during their acts such as chewing shoes and stuffs in the beginning and correcting them after.

Both receive same attention and corrections. If A is getting the message and behaving so much better than B.. am i still the wrong doing something wrong?

If I'm really treating my dog a s person , i would've dress them up and keep pushing them to say a few human words by now. But I've done nothing of such.

Yeah the dogs are misbehaving because they aren't trained.

You're acting like they understand you; they don't. They are dogs. Their every need is totally dependent on you and acting out is a sign you're not meeting their needs.

You say you sit with them....are you taking them out for runs/walks? Dogs NEED physical activity and socialization. Also puppies are going to have bad habits, it takes like 2-3 years for them to "grow up". They are babies...crying is such a minor thing really, our dogs have done soooo much worse (and damaged very expensive, irreplaceable things).

You need a professional, I'm sorry but this sounds terrible for the dogs and I guarantee you is going to end poorly for them if it continues.

Punishing the dog because your sister doesn't want to take care of it is SO unfair.

Sounds like the dog has anxiety and a lot of pent up energy. The bottom line here is that it's not your problem or your sister's problem (stay with me here) it's your mom's problem. She allowed both you and your sister to get dogs instead of holding firm to getting just one dog. She is allowing your sister to not take care of her responsibilities and an innocient animal is caught in the crossfire. Animals are NOT toys, they are living creatures with needs and the fact is your sister's dogs needs are not being meet. So either you mom needs to give your sister an ultimatum, "Take care of your dog or we are finding it a new home" or mom needs to take over care of the dog.

That dog did not act to be adopted by your family. The dog needs more exercise to burn pent-up energy (MINIUM of 30 minuet walks both in the morning and at night, every day) if that is something your family cannot committe to providing the dog needs a new home that will love and care for it.

You should change the title to "my sister's dog" it'll cut down on the harshness of replies you have been getting. Training and maturity will always ease problem behaviors but for some it never goes away. Even professional trainers will only select the best of dogs to undergo therapy/assistant dog training. Dogs have varying personalities just like people. My advice is to mentally adopt your sisters dog as your own or find it a new home. Dogs tend to know when they are the odd man out.

Archived