Developed middle/terminal insomnia all of a sudden

VinnyB

Background info: 22yo, male, no allergies, fit, do exercise with heavy weights 3-4x/wk - have perfect blood pressure etc - overall very healthy

I have suddenly over the course of a few months (starting in August) not been able to get a full night's rest. It has happened all of a sudden and has gotten worse over time. The weird thing is throughout this period I have had a week or two at a time where I sleep normally and feel great. I have not done anything different for those two weeks. But it hasn't lasted. I never had sleep problems before even though I had a less healthy lifestyle than I do now. Also this isn't due to stress or anything like that at all.

What happens is I wake up 3-4 hours after going to sleep then I either can't go back to sleep at all or go back after 3 hours of doing nothing. I do remain calm and don't get anxious but this is just wasting my time.

Timeline of changes to lifestyle:

May 2015 - started lifting after year long hiatus

August - vacation in Mexico (1st night was able to sleep fine but afterward I would wake up in the middle of the night)

September - moved into new apartment for school (since the first night I moved in I had trouble sleeping) I believe it was the temperature at first since I would close the door and it would get too hot so after fiddling with the temperature for a while I got some good nights of sleep but then I would revert back to not sleeping well

December - moved back home for break - same sleeping issues persist

January - move back to apartment and same thing occurs

February - started taking Vitamin D 5k IU, cod liver oil for omega 3, vitamin k2, magnesium (still need to see if I should take it in the morning or night, I took 400mg last night when I woke up at 1AM and I felt really relaxed but could not go to sleep still)

I have looked into things like biphasic sleep but I don't think that applies to me. I was always a straight 8-9 hour person for the first 21 years of my life. Maybe what happened is the temperature causing me to wake up changed my sleeping patterns even though the temperature isn't an issue anymore.

I thought I developed some magnesium deficiency but even with the magnesium I am taking now, while it makes me extremely calm, I never had trouble falling asleep.

Playing with "supplements" = playing with fire

I used to know a guy that was part of the pyramid scheme (supplements). He was so into it, apparently he felt for the scheme himself and got his family on the stuff.

His son was 18 years old and in perfect health when he died.....no doctor or anyone was able to tell why. Just dropped dead out of nowhere.

Personally, I never believed of bought into this stuff. First, I don't believe in magic and FOOD is where you should be getting all of your vitamins and things you need. After all, that's how humans have been living for MILLIONS of years. There was no magic powder or things around, they were fine.

You are playing with fire IMO.

And STOPPING the things your body is now used to......is playing with fire as well.

Lose lose situation if you ask me. But I would take the risk and back off completely. Get your vitamins/nutrients from FOOD. And back off on all the heavy weight lifting, if you are in shape/fit.....what's the point of going even further.

NOTHING is good when taken to the extreme. EVER.

Also, go see a doctor. Get a physical and see what they say. You are self diagnosing yourself (and you shouldn't do that).

• 2 weeks later...
Get thee to a doctor. Trying to diagnose yourself online is an absolutely worthless pursuit. There are myriads of reasons for irregular sleep, too many to list. A qualified physician is your only real option. Anyone on here who says they have the answer is full of it.

If it's fatal familial insomnia ignorance is best.

Archived