Bad odor from vagina?

MEOrtega

Recently I had sex with my boyfriend and when he went down on me he just couldn't because he said it smelled bad that he couldn't. That was yesterday and my period isn't due for about 6 days. I can't help but notice that everytime I'm close to my period he always says it smells bad. Not to be gross or anything but I even put my finger down there and smelled it and didn't really smell anything but my boyfriend did. I've been tested for BV and STD's about 2 weeks ago. It's just really embarrassing and no matter how many times my boyfriend says it's okay and not to worry about I can't seem to help but feel that way. I'm on the pill too I just want to know if this is normal?

Hey just my 2 cents!!

Everyone has a personal odor to themselves their hair clothes genital parts. Everyone's is different in s unique way. Maybe your period knows it's coming and it's slowly beginning to start and is letting out a slight odor a little sooner. But I wouldn't worry about this millions of women have this and don't let someone else words or actions put you down.

Just realise this is perfectly normal..

What were the results of your BV test?

Did you ask the doctor what the order could be if it's not BV or Trichomonos?

Does he only say it has a bad odor when you're due to have your period? If that's the case then just don't let him down there during that time if he's going to make you feel self-conscious like he has been.

I don't think any of us smell like roses either but to smell to the point where he can't continue isn't normal. You may need to at the very least, change your diet. Just like a guys sperm can be made to taste and smell better by eating certain foods, your jewels can be made to have more neutral smelling lubrication with things like pineapple and cinnamon. (eating them, not applying them ) That being, of course, if you are free of infections.

Take odourless garlic tablets and have probiotic yogurt. Could be a pH imbalance...and BV gels can help tackle the odour (short term use) as well as feminine washes. There are plenty of stuff out there that help to tackle this...I have been there lol. The joys of being a woman...stress and change in diet can change things down there more than you know, but when you ovulate it can change the odour as well as having a period due soon.

OP, it may be that your pH is rising, to become more alkaline (as it usually does before the period, because a higher pH encourages sperm survival) and causing this change, and even though you come out clear with a BV test, you may have some slight non-specific bacteria that are hanging around that aren't an "infection", but producing an imbalance. BV is only testing for a specific bacterium (Gardnerella).

The best insurance policy you have to creating the proper balance of pH and microbiology in your vagina is taking probiotics through diet and supplementation. If you eat fermented foods like sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, yogurt, etc. you will supply your gut with the flora that eventually reaches the vagina. The probiotic brand FemDophilus by Jarrow (no personal connection to the company) has strains of lactobaccilli that are specific for the vagina. The probiotics produce lactic acid, which keeps the pH at an ideal balance of 3.5-4.5.

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is an acid (in a 5% solution in water, it is 2.2-2.5), so by itself it may burn some women. It depends what concentration it is at, so I would be very cautious with this. Also, if you are using something flavored, there is likely to be additives and possibly sugar, which should stay out of your vagina. Jigsup, there are many brands, and they may have different compositions, so it might be helpful if you suggested a brand that does not burn. (though I would still personally do this with great caution).

I also buy pH strips (paper) in the right range -- you can find them on Amazon, so you can see for yourself if this is an issue. Tear off a bit of pH paper, insert a q-tip into your vagina, and smear a little of the discharge onto the pH paper to see what it reads. See if there are changes throughout the month that you can correlate with your symptoms.

But douching and feminine washes are certainly a bad idea -- they'll wash out your good bacteria and encourage BV.

If all else fails, as others have asked -- has your boyfriend said there is no problem the other times of the month?

And hey, y'all, if I want to smell potpourri or roses, I'll go to Bed, Bath and Beyond. Crotches should smell like crotch! (as long as they are kept clean).

(Just kidding about B, B, and B -- those scents are usually artificial fragrances and toxic.)

Please talk to your MD before inserting things that aren't specifically made to go in your vagina. It can cause way more problems.

I jump in the shower before sex and get some water up in there (just using my fingers), and use soap (on the outside only) to clean up. It makes me feel a lot more clean/confident...it might be worth trying.

Even so, I'm sure the smell varies throughout the month, and although I don't have experience with this, I assume it becomes more metallic and bloodlike around period time. Blood is a purely biological thing, for me it's opposite to and opposed to an emotional, sexual smell. I'm guessing this is the issue here. Again, no experience just a hypothesis.

Please talk to your MD before inserting things that aren't specifically made to go in your vagina. It can cause way more problems.

I jump in the shower before sex and get some water up in there (just using my fingers), and use soap (on the outside only) to clean up. It makes me feel a lot more clean/confident...it might be worth trying.

Soap is not recommended on the genitals. Water is enough to clean the area. It also has a "self cleaning" system which is why we have discharge etc at certain times of the month.

OP talk to your doctor

Soap is not recommended on the genitals. Water is enough to clean the area. It also has a "self cleaning" system which is why we have discharge etc at certain times of the month.

OP talk to your doctor

Did you read my post? I said water only inside, and you can use soap outside...like where there is hair. Hair gets smelly- you're supposed to wash it with soap.

OP talk to your doctor

Soap is not recommended IN the genitals. It's perfectly fine and a very good idea to use it on the outside. If Op has never been using soap then that may be her problem?

Soap is okay on the hair, but on the inside of the labia/vulva, which is a sensitive mucous membrane (and a different type of skin from where the hair is), water is recommended. I have a very mild soap that I sometimes quickly wash over the vulva, but I don't rub it in or use the bar on it.

Water inside may not be the best either, if there is chlorine in it, or it's hard water with an unsuitable pH. Tap water is anywhere from 6.5 to 9.5, way too alkaline for the vagina. If you're not full-on douching, it's not as bad, but still, it's not a vagina-friendly substance.

• 10 months later...

I think you might have vaginal odor. The odor might appear during the female menstrual cycle as well as sometimes after having sexual intercourse. Even normal sweat can trigger the vaginal odor. Although products like deodorant can temporary eliminate the odor, they might even cause other side effects such as irritation along the way.

Having vaginal odor is extremely embarrassing and negatively affects women’s confidence and their normal life. However, it's not too hard to treat it

The easiest way is using vinegar, You just need to pour approximately 150ml white vinegar and 100g salt to bath water (warm water) and then soak her vagina in 15 minutes.

- Or you can use apple cider vinegar which has the same result: Mix two cups of apple cider in warm water then soak in the mixture for about 20 minutes then wipe. Or drink a glass of water mixed 1-2 tsp of apple cider every day.

JMO, but since you have seen your doctor (to get tested), who concluded nothing was *wrong* or that your vagina was exuding some offensive odor, not to mention after placing your own finger there and determining no offensive odor, I suspect your bf may have some aversion to going down on you (or any woman), in general, and any type of odor that doesn't smell like a rose is gonna put him off.

Meaning, you may (and probably are not) exuding an *offensive* odor at all.

An odor? Yes! Offensive? Highly unlikely otherwise your doctor would have detected and so would you!

The odor would be on your underwear, and your own finger when you placed it there.

Your bf just doesn't like or want to go down on you.

See another doctor if you wish, it wouldn't hurt, but I suspect this is more your bf's issue rather than how your vagina smells.

Archived