Soft Drinks

One of the best things I've done in life was give up soda. No regular or diet. Once you're off them for a while and you try it again, you'll find it pretty disgusting. Sodas taste like I'm drinking syrup now. Yuck. Good for you on quitting. That's a great choice not only for your health, but also your wallet.

I never have and likely will be able to give up soda. I don't binge on it, but a can or two a day does me right. Kudos on your decision, though. Limiting consumption of beverages with sugar in them is one of the easiest way to cut calories... though Diet Coke doesn't have any.

Good on giving up the soft drinks! Continue to do so after you 1 week trial period, lol.

I never liked soft drinks very much. I like water, just plain tap water (where I live, the drinking water quality is really good). Sometimes I add a bit of lemon juice that’s it. Last year since a very long time, I had a Fanta, it tasted awfull, I just can’t drink it anymore.

j.man, I would never expect you to eat your so much beloved PIZZA and drink PLAIN BORING tap water!
Finally, someone who understands me!

I do actually drink water pretty religiously throughout the day, but I don't think think I could survive without treating myself a couple times a day to some Lime Jarritos or Sangria Señorial.

I loved diet Coke too, but gave up soda 4 years ago when I read that something in diet sodas is making people prone to having strokes, although they aren't sure why. I get bored of plain water, so I drink flavored water that uses Stevia as a sweetener. One is Glaceau with 0 calories. There is also a Walmart brand of powdered drink flavors that has all natural ingredients.

For Lent one year (I'm Catholic), I gave up soda and any carbonated drinks (this included beer). I was working out three times at the gym per week (two of them was with a trainer). After 40 days I lost an extra 10 lbs. I decided to continue the trend

My mom was diagnosed for diabetes right before Christmas. She was a heavy soda drinker before she was forced to give it up. It's been about 2 month and not only has her sugar level has gone WAY down, but she lost 15 lbs.

Soda is ok to have once awhile- having two glasses a month won't kill you. But most of your sugar and carb intake comes from what you drink.

Keep going!

I strongly recommend buying a water bottle with an infuser to stick fruit in it. Squeezed slice of orange, lemon, and lime makes me want to drink more.

You watch your mouth. When I visit family in Spain, I drink Lemon Fanta all day. Though it's the only one I'll drink.

Fanta Limon - when I lived in Spain, one of my good friends was addicted to this drink! Wonder what they're putting in their limones.

Good luck OP. When I gave up soda, I started drinking green tea. It tastes like a hospital but at least there's caffeine.

What is boring about water? Humans are mostly water, so are you saying everyone is boring? I love water. No carbonation to bloat you, no caffeine to give you jitters (I do have a cup of coffee in the morning, though), good for you, doesn't upset your stomach or destroy your teeth, either. What's not to love?

Fanta Limon - when I lived in Spain, one of my good friends was addicted to this drink! Wonder what they're putting in their limones.

Good luck OP. When I gave up soda, I started drinking green tea. It tastes like a hospital but at least there's caffeine.

I've been to Spain and their Fanta is COMPLETELY different from the US one. The US one is a sickly orange color, like cough syrup or something. The Spanish Fanta is made with real oranges and has a nice natural light color (not died) and it TASTES really good!

I gave up soda years ago - no bubbly anything for me. I'm better off for it. I do miss my gin and tonic but I have found other tasty (and healthy) drinks to make. I make a really good mojito with low calorie citrus liqueur made from real fruit, lime juice, and tons of mint leaves. I sometimes go to a bar that serves a really good gin drink that I like with gin, honey jasmine tea, and lavender.

Day to day, I drink Crystal Lite, flavored water (steep cucumber and lemon and lime in water and it tastes awesome), and I do drink a lot of coffee as well.

Life is better (and cheaper) without soda. Your teeth will thank you too!

From what I've heard and read everywhere, it seems so common and standard for people from the US to drink heaps of soda every day. Even here in Europe I know some people who drink coke like it's water. Seems ALIEN to me. I dont understand it at ALL. I feel over-sugared (is that a word?) when I've had two glasses of coke, which is only once a month MAXIMUM (when i go out go eat somewhere maybe.. i NEVER buy it from the grocery store). I do not comprehend this need for soda/coke/etc, in the least.... normal tap-water is completely full-filling to me.

I wish more people would appreciate water. and maybe the US wouldn't have such a problem with overweight then

Not drinking soda and other sugary drinks should definitely help you lose weight.

I believe there have been studies that show that drinking artificially flavored drinks makes you crave sugar, so it's probably best to avoid them. There are lots of options if you need some variety from water. Personally, I drink a cup of coffee with milk in the morning, and hot tea after lunch or in the afternoons or evenings - sometimes "regular tea", sometimes mint or lemongrass or chamomile which don't have any caffeine. I love the "Zen" tea by Tazo. I also like to drink fresh-squeezed juice with breakfast or as a mid-morning snack. It's definitely not a diet food, but I think if you make it fresh at home then it's very healthy and, in my opinion, delicious. I like blends: orange papaya, pineapple strawberry, kiwi Apple, mango and mandarin oranges, passion fruit and orange etc etc ... (I do live in a tropical place which helps, when I go back to the US it will be a bit more difficult).

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your week and then decide to extend it

I quit almost all diet coke in the last 7 years (maybe have two-three per year and definitely don't enjoy it as I used to) and for 5 years prior I was down to one diet coke/day. I stopped regular soda in high school. I think it helped me lose/maintain my weight (I was never overweight) because the sweet taste triggered a craving for carbs. I drink water, coffee with no sugar, and sparkling water/flavored seltzer -unsweetened. Also helped my digestive system, etc.

I gave up drinking anything caffeinated mid-October, and the change was so immense. I was able to lose weight so much easier without sodas and teas (not that tea in general is bad for you - but I drank the extremely sugary sweet tea that the south part of the States is known for).

It's only been a few months and I do still get cravings for Mountain Dew, which was my favorite. When I can't stand it anymore, I'll drink a glass of a non-caffeinated soda - but it's so hard to finish a whole one. Usually a few drinks of it and I'm sated.

Keep it up, OP. Your body will thank you!!

Finally, someone who understands me!

I do actually drink water pretty religiously throughout the day, but I don't think think I could survive without treating myself a couple times a day to some Lime Jarritos or Sangria Señorial.

Down in my state, Iron Beer is pretty popular, especially in Miami and its vicinity. Really good stuff.

I have never had a whole coca cola/pepsi/similar. I have had a sip of coke, once, and once when already past my limit I drank a cocktail that had coke as mixer. Both of those incidents occurred over 30 years ago. I used to drink Sprite/7-Up. I gave it up when I was 24. Have had almost no soda since then -- and I am now 50. Don't miss it one bit. Don't even drink it when nothing else is easily available.

I use Mio, fresh lemon, cucumber, soda water, sparkling water all as ways to help me drink more, and I brew decaf iced tea at home.

Archived