Dealing with difficult co worker, advice please

AmyeMae

Since graduating from college, I've been working for a few years now and I've never been in this situation before. I'm not sure how best to handle it. I was hoping someone with more experience would be able to give me some advice

We all have our difficult co-workers but mine is bullying me. She's very hard to get along with and she does have a poor reputation in our department. I've been told by others that people can't work with her. She has been reported before by other people on her team.

The way that she talks to me is so rude and so unkind. On more than one occasion she's yelled at me and I've ended up crying in the bathroom. I won't go into details about it but my question is, can I talk to my manager about her behavior towards me? I don't want to seem as if I'm complaining or that I can't get along well with others, etc.

I'm still pretty new to my field and she's a lot more experienced than I am. Can I say anything or should I continue to suck it up and just put up with it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Of course you can talk to your manager. I had a boss like this once. I sympathize.

If I were you I would start logging every instance of her being rude to you, and show that to your manager. One isolated incident might not seem like a big deal to management, but if you log it all and management can see several instances, it's more likely to make an impact.

Is she a superior or at the same level as you?

If she's just a coworker and holds no power over you, have you considered directly speaking to her about this? For example, when she's yelling at you, would you be able to say that you don't want to be spoken to that way? Or, ask her if there's a problem between the two of you that you're unaware of. Sometimes that's very disarming for bullying people.

Sometimes people bully you. You should stand up for yourself in a professional way. If she is like you describe, no one else likes her, either.

Bullies always fold when you "punch" them in the nose. They aren't used to being stood up to or pushed back.

What are ways that you think you can hold your ground? And absolutely no crying at work! It's game on time!

Aside from this woman, how confident are you in your work and your other work relationships?

How often do you need to deal with this woman--what is her position, and how does it relate to yours?

The good news is that she's already recognized as a difficult bully, so the questions above would matter to me in how 'involved' I'd want to get in her business.

Sounds as though she'll hang herself sooner or later, so my question would be: do I need to involve myself in that, or not?

On more than one occasion she's yelled at me and I've ended up crying in the bathroom

One thing in life that you NEVER have to put up with is yelling, whether it is in your professional life or your private life.

Next time when she yells at you, you stay calm, you stand up (if you were sitting) and you say to her with a firm voice: “There is absolutely no reason to yell at me. I don’t talk to people who yell at me. When you have calmed down, we can discuss things in a normal way.” Then you sit down again and continue with your work and ignore her. Continue doing this until she gets it.

Archived