Working as an end of life nurse!

irish88

Hey guys

I recently went back to my old job as an end of life practice nurse.

I'm working now in an amazing hospice looking after some pretty amazing patients.

Today I had a little old lady from Portugal, with no family or friends and who has end stage lung CA.

It made me think so much that this woman will be there for her last christmas with the nurses.

It was her birthday today and we tried to make it so special for her.

Another patient a 42 year old gp with end liver CA with a total bowel block, who can't eat anything due to this and he's just waiting. This morning while watching him in so much pain and distress asking me "why this is happening to him" and why is God so cruel.

I don't know why I'm posting this up here, but it has really made me reflect on my life so much that for the first time in years I went to confession and had a long chat with the priest.

I think this time of year makes us think about things a lot more and to keep the most important people in our lives close to us.

It makes everything else going on in life so trivial at the moment

God bless her and thankyou very much.

I was earning so much money in my last job and realised that what was missing was helping people so I went back to palliative nursing, less money but that's not important.

It's making me think so much of how I haven't seen my grandparents in a while so I'm booking a surprise trip to italy next month for my birthday.

I'm kind of sitting here now thinking about tomorrow and seeing that man again in the morning.

Today he was swearing at me for spilling his NG tube, but it was blocked and I didn't tell him as I didn't want to scare him so I just apologized.

He had that "look" before I finished my shift so it won't be too long, I'm worried about him asking me this tomorrow.

I feel really at peace now with everything that's happened the past year

People like you are why I don't give up on humanity. Bless you for all you and your coworkers do.

I don't really have an explanation for the bad in the world, the unfair, any more than I do the good and the right. I guess it just all is and we have to take our blessings when and where we get them and understand the wheels of life turn from dark to day all the time.

Special thoughts and prayers to you and yours this holiday season. And to everyone.

Hey guys

I recently went back to my old job as an end of life practice nurse.

I'm working now in an amazing hospice looking after some pretty amazing patients.

Today I had a little old lady from Portugal, with no family or friends and who has end stage lung CA.

It made me think so much that this woman will be there for her last christmas with the nurses.

It was her birthday today and we tried to make it so special for her.

Another patient a 42 year old gp with end liver CA with a total bowel block, who can't eat anything due to this and he's just waiting. This morning while watching him in so much pain and distress asking me "why this is happening to him" and why is God so cruel.

I don't know why I'm posting this up here, but it has really made me reflect on my life so much that for the first time in years I went to confession and had a long chat with the priest.

I think this time of year makes us think about things a lot more and to keep the most important people in our lives close to us.

It makes everything else going on in life so trivial at the moment

Hospice staff are amazing people. It made such a difference when my brother was dying of cancer - so responsive and positive. I will be forever grateful for that staff.

Don't know how you do it!

Archived