Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What is the worst gift you have ever received?

alli

So in light of the upcoming holidays (and inspired by a thread I saw recently) I thought this would be an entertaining topic!

Looking back on birthdays/anniversaries/holidays/whatever, what is the worst or most awkward gift you have ever received?

I'll start. A few years ago I was taking a vacation to another country. For Christmas, my ex got me a tracking device so he could look online & see where I was at whenever he wanted. It was sweet he was concerned for my safety, but a gift with the sole purpose of quelling his fear/concern didn't seem like much of a "gift" to me.

My parents told me when I turned 10 that they would take me to Toys R Us so I could pick out whatever I wanted. They never took me. Then, they said they didn't remember telling me that. I showed them the card it was written on. Then they claimed they DID take me. So, I asked them what I picked out. They said they couldn't remember back that far.

Yeah, that still bothers me. NEVER make a promise to a child that you don't keep.

BTW, that happened over 30 years ago and I still remember, which is why I've never broken a promise to my kids.

that's messed up ^^

Hahaha! Thanks. I think so. That was for my Birthday. For Christmas, he asked what I wanted/needed. I just had surgery on both of my feet, so I asked for an inexpensive leg prop to help the swelling. Instead I received a backpack that he took from the armory at the Army. Awwww, that's sweet. Done much thinking lately? Anyone wonder why he is my ex? LOL.

Oh! I remember! 2 years ago, my ex preordered me a game I wanted for my birthday. She never paid attention to the fact that a preorder at Gamestop ONLINE to pick up in-store meant that you had to pay in person upon pick-up, so when I went to pick it up, I WAS THE ONE who had to pay for my own birthday gift.

Even AFTER explaining this whole thing to her afterwards, the next year she did the EXACT same thing. So I basically bought myself her birthday gift to me both birthdays we spent together.

Oh! I remember! 2 years ago, my ex preordered me a game I wanted for my birthday. She never paid attention to the fact that a preorder at Gamestop ONLINE to pick up in-store meant that you had to pay in person upon pick-up, so when I went to pick it up, I WAS THE ONE who had to pay for my own birthday gift.

Even AFTER explaining this whole thing to her afterwards, the next year she did the EXACT same thing. So I basically bought myself her birthday gift to me both birthdays we spent together.

Now, THAT's messed up! Maybe your ex and my ex could get together and be cheapskates together.

My ex husband gave me a cabbage from the garden for our 10th wedding anniversary ..

Oh. My. This really happened? I mean, no vignette that goes with the cabbage, no symbolic meaning and personal essay or artwork that goes with it? Just, here's a cabbage? From our yard?

Good grief.

He was disorganised, and nope nothing to compliment it, he brought it in to the bedroom, no card no decorations - nothing - he obviously thought it was funny. - we didn't even eat it, it was full of caterpillars

haha~! hence ex-husband - This the past...

I've received some really mediocre, generic gifts before (like a cheap clock, a calendar year diary, a red old fashioned looking wallet that would suit an elderly woman), I never used any of these gifts. But I don't think any of them I would say is "the worst"? I mean the person did make an effort to buy a gift and I appreciate that.

I think the worst gifts, if you must call it that, are actually from myself to others lol!

Like I used to buy my dad socks for his birthday, because he never really want anything and he goes through socks like crazy (I almost suspected he cooks and eats them)...

And for one of my ex's birthday, he was really into making coffee (total coffee snob) and I remembered he mentioned he wanted this special kettle for boiling the water for coffee. So I went to buy it in a cafe I knew stocked these (they aren't cheap either!), they had ran out of stock, but had just opened one to use themselves, it's like a couple of weeks old, looks very new. The cafe offered to clean and polish up the used one and sell it to me for half the price. I thought it was an awesome deal so I took it. So yea... I gave my ex a used kettle for his birthday. And no that's not why we broke up!

My ex once gave me a fashion ring for my birthday. It was a ring with some accessories that you could put on it. I did not like it at all, absolutely not my style and he got the wrong size. So he went back to the shop a get a bigger size and it was still too small. I am not sure whether I threw it away, if not, I’ll do so next time I clean up my closet. I would not even want to give it to someone else. That would bring bad luck.

Archived