Experience with STDs/symptoms?

DawnDonatello

Sorry in advance for the TMI here, but I'm stressed to the point of feeling ill and wanting to vomit. I have an appointment to get tested tomorrow morning, but I think I'm just looking for an idea as to what result I may get back.

Background: Had a foolish "one night" thing (where only I received oral and...fingers?) shortly after ending a relationship...a day or two after that "one night" I began to burn badly on the exterior of my vagina and had gray/green liquid-like discharge. This lasted 3-4 days. I went to a walk-in clinic, but at the time had no insurance and not enough funds for what they wanted so I just said forget it. Self-doctored with Tea Tree Oil, and all went away. Haven't seen anything else since....this was about two years ago.

I recently began seeing somebody new; somebody I care about deeply (we have known each other over a year), and somebody who has only had one partner in the past. I want to jump in and actually start a relationship, but my nerves linger around my possible "disease" and I know there's no way I could bring myself to be with this person if I'm infected with anything incurable. So...I'm holding off.

Anyways, I know there isn't a whole lot to go off of, but if anybody here has any familiarity with STDs and can perhaps just throw off a rough estimate as to the result that's coming my way, it would be much appreciated. I'm just trying to lower my shock/horror factor tomorrow.

Off the top of my non-medically trained head, it sounds to me like bacterial vaginosis. Which is not, strictly speaking, an std.

Good for you for getting tested - make sure you discuss which stds you want to be tested for (many they will not test for unless you have apparent bumps/warts/other symptoms. Knowledge is power.

Greenish discharge is usually trichomoniasis, otherwise known as the "trich". It's a curable STD.

Please, please go to a clinic and get tested. Not everyone who has "trich" has the symptoms. You could very well still have the bug into you and able to pass it to your partner. That's because it's easier to get reinfected with it if you've had it. Luckily, if that's what it is, it's very easy to treat. But you have to get tested!

Also, forgot to say, that many curable STDs are treated with penicillin or some kind of antibiotic, usually taken orally, although they may give you a cream too. Millions and millions of people get STDs. I'm not downplayin it, I'm just saying, it's more common that you think. Be sure to always practice safe sex and be careful and you will reduce your risk.

For me, I like to test myself between partners (I only have sex in relationships) and get a full panel done and that helps me feel a lot better. I ask the same of my partners too.

Sometimes there are no signs of an STD and sometimes the symptoms lay dormant for years if you did have a STD, you could have no signs of an STD but still be infectious. The best way to put your mind to ease to have a screening done. It might be a scary thought to possibly find out something you don't want to hear but it's the responsible thing to do. You should also ask your new partner to do the same , just be safe. Kudos for doing the right thing

• 2 weeks later...

Ask your partner to get a full panel done before you have sex, too. Even though they say they've only been with one person, you don't know how many people that person has been with (and if they've been faithful).

Better safe than sorry.

Good luck on your test. Even if it's positive for an STD, most are treatable. Like Fudgie says, sounds like it's trich. You'll be okay.

Archived