Anyone else feeling "Bah Humbug" already?

Feast

I just can't get into any kind of holiday "spirit" this year at all. I have to work today, thanksgiving, and I'm looking forward to that part of my day the most. When I see holiday decorations have a tendency to shift my head, don't really want to look even. All the FB holiday messages are lost on me right now, I find them annoying. Wouldn't mind fast forwarding to January.

My life last few years has been split between traveling for fun all over the world and working different spots across the country. Had an amazing summer traveling, but finally back in town and plan on being more settled here in one place again. im pretty sure every girl I knew got engaged over the last year, that's probably not helping! Anyway, I know the drill, be sociable, exercise, keep positive, be productive, all that, but wondering how many people are feeling similar already about these holidays?

Well there's nothing to really enjoy anymore, Christmas has lost its meaning and has become very commercial and it's all about buying, sales, deals, camping outside certain stores to be there when they open their doors and get a gift card... People are trying harder and harder to teach their kids that there is no Santa at a very young age... there are no more Christmas carols or anything that helped put people in the spirit...much like everything else, the Holidays are no longer what they used to be.

So yeah, in a way I get what you're saying...there is no magic anymore, nothing to look forward to.

I will always cherish the wonderful memories that I do have about this time of the year, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to experience Christmas as it once was.

Our turkey day in Canada is in October and it seems like anything to do with Christmas starts right after that, and I personally hate it. I'm not a big fan of Christmas and haven't been since I was a kid. I just wait for it to be all over with.

It's hard because I have two grown kids and a grandchild, so I do try to make things nice for them, but that's where it ends. Boxing Day is great because it means it's all over for another year! It's the commercialization and tv ads slamming spending money that bug me so much.

There are so many people out there that probably feel the same way as you.

Just remember anyone can create a perfect, happy persona on Facebook, doesn't necessarily mean it is the truth though, we all have some kind of issues that we are dealing with after all.

I'm from the UK so we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but I feel similar to you during the Christmas period. Even though I have issues of my own I try to enjoy Christmas as much as I can. I try to see the positive to it that I get to spend it with my family. But I must admit it does feel a little bittersweet for me especially as I am single so I do know that can be tough.

One of my favorite Christmas songs isn't even about Christmas really. The song is called All I want for Christmas is New Years Day by Hurts. That song really helps you to understand that there are a lot of people who feel the same way as you do.

Yup, so this year I went stress free, I ordered dinner from the supermarket, so I don't have to kill myself cooking. Everyone is getting something online that i can purchase and send to their place, my boys are doing the Xmas cards.

And I am relaxing by the fireplace with a glass of vino and not giving two cents if I am lazy this holiday. I'm so over killing myself for perfection. You sound burned out from traveling, so I'd say put your feet up, relax, enjoy life and just chill this season. The party police will not get you if you aren't Martha Stewart! (Heavens I loved saying that!!!!)

Happy holidays all! (Raises wine glass, sips, pets purring cat asleep in lap.)

If you are healthy, alive, and have family to love, why the heck are you guys so morose? ?Try living in a third world country for awhile. See if you like that. We have sooooooo much to be thankful for and you guys pout like spoiled children. Appreciate what you have right now. It could be taken from you tomorrow. I have an idea. Go volunteer at a homeless shelter. There, you will see people who really shouldn't be celebrating anything, but are over the moon about you caring.

Some of my fondest memories of holidays are of ones where times were more difficult. It's ok not to feel jolly sometimes, even during the holidays. It's an opportunity to experience the other parts of holiday spirit (my favorite ones).

To me, Thanksgiving and Christmas always were about thinking of others and having others think of you. Reaching out, caring, inclusion rather than exclusion. Love. All the cheesy things but real things.

Happy Thanksgiving, Feast. Huge hugs.

I totally get what you mean. I don't have anything in particular to be down about, and I try to keep the holidays happy for everyone else, but I do feel sort of bah humbug-ish.

Sometimes I want to press the pause button on life, lol. Smile. This too shall pass.

Well there's nothing to really enjoy anymore, Christmas has lost its meaning and has become very commercial and it's all about buying, sales, deals, camping outside certain stores to be there when they open their doors and get a gift card... People are trying harder and harder to teach their kids that there is no Santa at a very young age... there are no more Christmas carols or anything that helped put people in the spirit...much like everything else, the Holidays are no longer what they used to be.

So yeah, in a way I get what you're saying...there is no magic anymore, nothing to look forward to.

I will always cherish the wonderful memories that I do have about this time of the year, and I am thankful for having had the opportunity to experience Christmas as it once was.

This!!!! Exactly!!! I am with her on this one, feeling the same way... I don't even feel like decorating, I don't like Black Friday starting Thanksgiving. Its crazy and Christmas is nothing but consumption in every single way

It's probably harder this year because I remember having great holiday experiences with people that are no longer available to me. It's ok, get thru this holiday, and put myself on track for something better next year. Make it a goal. Would like to have someone special to share the holidays with next year if I can. Last year at this time I was traveling abroad and having a great time, but also just me unfortunately!

The commercialization of the holidays is a problem, but with the right environment and people you can cut through that I think. I agree the insane Black Friday shopping I usually get sucked into is not a good thing at all and that attitude seems to linger until Xmas.

Someone mentioned going non-conventional for the holidays, I think there right too. One year my sister in law forgot to pickup food for thanksgiving (which went over great with Mom as you can imagine) and we all just ended up in a bar eating pizza, playing darts and pool. Best thanksgiving ever, although I think mom is still mad.

You mentioned traveling, how about going on a missions trip or volunteering? It may help break the rut.

I like the idea of volunteering. Missions more doubtful I guess. Right now I have so much work from multiple directions spare time is limited, that should change soon though.

I hear ya on the lack of feeling festive, at least a few years back; when I though more of the gifts and what to buy whom. It was about that time I noticed the rest of my family started trending more and more to simple meals mostly prepared and lacking any ceremony. I am the youngest in my family, no siblings or even cousins; so that killed a lot of the magic; but I decided the only way to bring any semblance of the holidays back was to do it myself. Yes in large part for me, but also to really give of myself to those who gave to me.

So now, I cook all the major holiday meals, decorate the relative's home we are going to celebrate in (trees, holly & ivy), and make things festive in very traditional ways. I'm a historian so I have the benefit of being familiar old texts on activities done in the 17th and 18th centuries. I see the difference, even in my curmudgeonly father, that comes from eschewing modern consumptive culture for the Holidays.

The important element that is forgotten in celebrating these holidays is that the true reason for them is lost to many people. It is important to get back to the true meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is only then that we will feel the real meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas. chi

I have nothing to add as this post covers it all.

Between the radio stations starting Christmas music 3 full weeks before thanksgiving and the fact that stores are actually advertising it as "Thanksgetting" I'm right there with you.

So right, I heard a comedic Christmas song come on the radio this morning in my car. I can't tell you the visceral negative response, I just about punched my radio. Can't handle the Xmas music right now.

It's probably harder this year because I remember having great holiday experiences with people that are no longer available to me. It's ok, get thru this holiday, and put myself on track for something better next year. Make it a goal. Would like to have someone special to share the holidays with next year if I can. Last year at this time I was traveling abroad and having a great time, but also just me unfortunately!

The commercialization of the holidays is a problem, but with the right environment and people you can cut through that I think. I agree the insane Black Friday shopping I usually get sucked into is not a good thing at all and that attitude seems to linger until Xmas.

Someone mentioned going non-conventional for the holidays, I think there right too. One year my sister in law forgot to pickup food for thanksgiving (which went over great with Mom as you can imagine) and we all just ended up in a bar eating pizza, playing darts and pool. Best thanksgiving ever, although I think mom is still mad.

I think people get so lost in their own bias they don't really listen to what you are saying.

I'm sorry the people who you had in the past are not available to you now. I'm sure that brings back some feelings this time of year. It's hard. No way around that.

But I would advise not making it a goal to have someone special over the holidays. They can leave you too. Or you can leave them. What about making it a time to focus on family? Like your previous memory with your family.

I think people get so lost in their own bias they don't really listen to what you are saying.

I'm sorry the people who you had in the past are not available to you now. I'm sure that brings back some feelings this time of year. It's hard. No way around that.

But I would advise not making it a goal to have someone special over the holidays. They can leave you too. Or you can leave them. What about making it a time to focus on family? Like your previous memory with your family.

Thanks Darcy, I keep in touch with family via phone but am on the other side of the country from them. Have some friends in the area thankfully, that I see, but there also busy with their own lives and families of course. Need to make more of a life here, new friends, still think finding someone special would be good thing for next year.

Obviously no Thanksgiving over here, but I don’t like Christmas at all. It’s just only about consumption and has nothing to do anymore with the original thoughts of it. And every year this craziness seems to start earlier. End of September, summer is only a few days over, and you see already the first Christmas pastries in the shops.

Archived