Aftermath of living with an alcoholic, need help rebuilding relationship w/ mom

turtle1234

I posted a little while ago under turtle11234, but I suppose I got caught up venting and made it too long. Here's a short version: I don't know how to talk to my mom right now. We used to be really close, but about a year after my alcoholic dad moved out, we started having relationship issues, and they have escalated to the point where we simply haven't felt normal and okay around each other for a long time. I miss our relationship, but we have too many underlying issues to just pretend everything's okay and be close again, because that wouldn't be genuine. Our problems would come up again. I think a lot of it has to do with the strain living with an alcoholic puts on the relationships between the other family members, even if the alcoholic is removed from the situation.

Please help me get to the bottom of this. Our distance is killing me. We live together but can barely have a conversation. We don't hug anymore. We both want to reconcile, but we still disagree too strongly on lots of issues, including the way she is parenting my 11 year old brother. (I'm a 20 year old female.) I want him to be raised right, but am afraid she babies him too much and he gets away with anything.

Please ask me questions, I don't even know how I'm feeling other than upset we're not getting along. I would really appreciate the help getting to the bottom of my feelings and deciding on the next steps to take towards reconciling with my mom. Thank you.

Archived