Will I need psychiatry degree in order to do family counseling?

DoF

Hi Everyone and thanks for reading. Fellow member in need of some help and advice.

This is my first thread since I started here. I know that most people come here because there they have relationship issues, that was actually not the reason I joined. Mind you, trust me, we have our own relationship issues (we all do) but wife and I are extremely happy and our almost 20 year old relationship is at the peak and only getting better.

The real reason I came here is because I simply found myself enjoying helping people out with important issues in life. Something that brings me happiness, knowing I'm helping someone out there. Reading/helping people out has helped me as well. PS. I know I still have a lot to learn.

Which brings me to subject at hand. I'm STILL in search of "what to do in life". We started family rather early in life and against all odds and no education or time, I've managed to still have 3 great careers and made a good living (raised family of 4 kids on 1 income). HOWEVER, I still don't feel I'm doing what I really enjoy. Sure the job I have pays well, career path is there ....blah blah blah, as I get older, I simply have much lower tolerance for people's BS and corporate world is really turning me off severely. I mean, it's ok, I don't mind it and I just laugh at the crap that goes on, I've grown immune to it all.......I just know I'm not doing what I REALLY enjoy.

For now, I'm gonna keep going mostly for stability of the finance/family. I'm thinking about doing something on the side.

I love helping out people in personal life and business. It's what I've been doing for past 10+ years. I find it easy to identify issues and come up with solutions. I used to be really bad at it (and again, still have work to do as you can tell by my posts) but I've noticed my feelings/emotion, lack of communication and poor communication has prevented me from being helpful to the fullest. I've been making changes in my life past few years and I feel I'm at a point where I can take it to the next level.

I've been thinking about doing some kind of Personal and Business consultancy. I'm a bit lost though. I've done some research and it seems like a grey area. There are personal coaches, therapy but each one focuses on a specialty.

I would like to start something on the side and slowly develop. Just looking for some tips, advice and ideas on the subject. Will I need psychiatry degree in order to do family counseling? Same for business. I have 15-20 years experience in both areas. My wife would most likely join me as well (especially on marriage/family aka personal counseling.

I would appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks,

DoF (Department of Family)

Regarding the business consultant thing i surmise it's feasible to start a consulting firm .For family counseling can you open an "office" without a degree? You have to do a little bit of (legal)research here. You could write a book however.

I would love to, and people are telling me to do so. Unfortunately, I don't read enough to be good at writing....something I'm working on still (reading more). This is a possibility in the future though.

No, actually a psychiatrist is a physician with further training in psychiatry. They tend to focus more on assisting patients with physiological issues such as chemical imbalances and medication to help with that.

A psychologist (at least in the US) must have a PhD, or have a master's degree and be supervised by a PhD. Psychology programs can be very theoretical or practical. Since you want to work with people then look for a practical program that focuses on technique and practice.

A PsyD program might do that too, but I am unfamiliar with that degree.

Other counselors that work with people are LCSWs. Licensed Clinical Social Workers. They are also trained to work with people aND it involves a masters degree.

Other helping professions in other fields could be occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy.

I know we don't agree 100% of everything but I can usually see where you're coming from. As for this post, we have a fair bit in common. I'm somewhat older than you are but a lot of how you feel relates to me. I love my Mrs, as you know but various things haven't been easy. I've never really found my niche in life and the financial mess known as the UK has rather stunted any career growth or financial comfort I could have had. I'm now in a more junior role than I was at 25! Even when I was in a higher position, I never really felt I'd "made it" in the corporate world or in life in general. I have had some success with writing but never made enough to live on. On the book front, if you have a publisher lined up, I could put your ideas into book form quite easily. It would have to be a long term (2 year) project, as I have a busy job and tough life. If you self-publish, the financial rewards are quite low. they say the average self-published book sells 100 copies.

No, actually a psychiatrist is a physician with further training in psychiatry. They tend to focus more on assisting patients with physiological issues such as chemical imbalances and medication to help with that.

I do not want ANY part of that. And will recommend these people if I feel they would benefit from it.

A psychologist (at least in the US) must have a PhD, or have a master's degree and be supervised by a PhD. Psychology programs can be very theoretical or practical. Since you want to work with people then look for a practical program that focuses on technique and practice.

A PsyD program might do that too, but I am unfamiliar with that degree.

Other counselors that work with people are LCSWs. Licensed Clinical Social Workers. They are also trained to work with people aND it involves a masters degree.

Other helping professions in other fields could be occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy.

What can I do without any of the walls, TODAY...with experience that I already have (is the big question).

I know we don't agree 100% of everything but I can usually see where you're coming from. As for this post, we have a fair bit in common. I'm somewhat older than you are but a lot of how you feel relates to me. I love my Mrs, as you know but various things haven't been easy. I've never really found my niche in life and the financial mess known as the UK has rather stunted any career growth or financial comfort I could have had. I'm now in a more junior role than I was at 25! Even when I was in a higher position, I never really felt I'd "made it" in the corporate world or in life in general. I have had some success with writing but never made enough to live on. On the book front, if you have a publisher lined up, I could put your ideas into book form quite easily. It would have to be a long term (2 year) project, as I have a busy job and tough life. If you self-publish, the financial rewards are quite low. they say the average self-published book sells 100 copies.

Thanks for the offer, something I will certainly consider if I choose that path. It is on my to do list for sure. So You might get an IM sometime in the future (no promises).

A life coach ---- my BIL does it and has no degree that supports that. He also does it as part of his consultancy company --- which manages change in corporations, so the clients are generally people that attend his seminars.

I don't know that someone would go see you if you have no credentials besides "a good head on your shoulders and life experience".

DoF,

If you are on ENA for 1 year, are a platinum member, have at least 5,000 posts and 1,000 thanks, you get your ENA stamped counselling certificate sent to your home address. I think you are going to make it, I still have a very long way to go.

I think you would need to look whether you need any license or so to do that. Could you be a relationship coach, rather than a therapist? Sometimes the words make the difference. If you really like doing this, then why not explore this further? It’s important that you do a job that you really enjoy doing! Good luck!

One thing I've become VERY aware of on here is that we all have our own biases. Some are down to experience and some to culture. I think it's hard to advise someone whose views are the opposite of mine. For example, infidelity is tolerated in some societies while my wife and I are both zero-tolerant. I've even noticed some big attitude differences to age gap differences amongst the young. In the UK, the age of consent is 16 but, to all practical intents and purposes, it is 14/15. In the US there is less tolerance and, in many states, it is 18. I honestly don't know these days but I'm sure it has been as low as 14 in some states in the past. Indeed was Priscilla not 14 when Elvis first started dating her?

There's also big differences in the age we expect to marry and a host of other things.

Not putting you off but I would suggest some training, whether it is essential or not.

Counseling is a very difficult field to get into. I had a best friend who got a bachelor's degree in psychology/counseling... no job. She had to have a master's degree plus clinical experience for her certification... for minimal pay. It's a lot of work to get through it, and eventually you are expected to go through a PhD program (additional 6 years of schooling). She ended up going into IT Networking and makes a substantial income for the amount she would have to pay for an advance degree.

I am in a master's program (special education) and have several colleagues in my classes who are going for their master's in counseling. They work social service/personal care jobs, but are not qualified psychologists. I can ask them though what it takes when I see them next.

I've been thinking about doing some kind of Personal and Business consultancy. I'm a bit lost though. I've done some research and it seems like a grey area. There are personal coaches, therapy but each one focuses on a specialty.

I looked into job coaching for people with disabilities... very minimal pay. A high school graduate can easily qualify for it.

I think your best bet is to actually talk to a psychologist about their educational background and get in contact with a university program.

A life coach ---- my BIL does it and has no degree that supports that. He also does it as part of his consultancy company --- which manages change in corporations, so the clients are generally people that attend his seminars.

I don't know that someone would go see you if you have no credentials besides "a good head on your shoulders and life experience".

Interesting. How did he come about/start up?

I have almost 20 years experience in dealing with managing change and is what I have been doing all along/and what I'm currently doing.

I have my Master's in Psychology. I can't find a job as an counselor to save my life. These days, you have to have a PhD. You just do. Now life coach is a possibility, but who are people going to go to, you, or the person with the certification and a Master's? (you have to have both in most states).

A marriage and family therapist career generally involves a good deal of education, much like other mental health and therapy careers. Individuals interested in pursuing marriage and family counseling careers will typically start by earning bachelor’s degrees in areas such as psychology, social work, or counseling. While earning this degree, students should focus taking courses on marriages and family situations.

Most areas also require those pursuing marriage and family therapist careers to earn master’s degrees as well, especially if they wish to become licensed marriage and family counselors.

Along with certain education requirements, you will also be required to complete several hours of fieldwork. The exact number of hours required varies from state to state. New York requires applicants to complete 1,500 hours of supervised work experience, for instance, while California requires 3,000 hours of supervised work experience. Checking with your state licensing board regarding these requirements is recommende

What about becoming trained in change management? I believe that's as simple as taking a certification course and not necessarily obtaining more education/schooling, and business are always using consultants for that.. Or maybe organizational/industrial psychology? Although I think there is more college needed for those.. Not sure. At any rate, I am a licensed clinical counselor. If you're in the US, I can provide the various tracks/options available in counseling...pm me.

You can counsel to some extent as a social worker or as a psychologist without going to be a psychiatrist. You an also be a pastoral counselor if you are a pastor/deacon/priest/sister. However, you would have to be honest with yourself about what types of issues you can handle and can't. If you want to be a life coach - I would suggest sticking to career coaching, etc, goal setting, etc, so that you do not cross the line into uncharted areas that you don't have the expertise to counsel. Even if you are someone known for giving good advice, if someone has a really heavy issue, you really need more training to equip yourself for such things.

Archived