I'm stuck

idkatie

I'm a senior in high school, my boyfriend is a year older. We met in math last year and it was basically an instant attraction. We've been inseparable. He was supposed to join the Marine Corps in June but after a lot of conflict with his commanding officers they essentially screwed him over and never submitted discharge papers. This led to him being forced to move to Georgia (from Maryland, where I live) with his family. His family is not supportive at all and he considered going to college but realized it just wasn't really an option for him as he had no savings and no means of making money in this new town. So now he has just re-enlisted in the army, without discussing it with me. I have been there for him through every major milestone of the last year and supported him every step of the way. Now he has decided to enlist and didn't take into consideration whether he would be there for my prom and graduation, even though I have told him that would be a deal breaker for me. I don't know what to do. We've been together for over a year, we've talked about marriage and kids and our plans for the future. But I've been there for his graduation and prom and I intend upon being there for his basic training graduation, depending on what I decide the best choice for myself is right now. Basically, I need opinions on whether or not his not being there for two of the biggest milestones of my life should be a deal breaker.

I'm sorry, but expecting a guy to postpone working for months in order to take you to prom and graduation is very immature.

These are milestones to share with family. And IF he was available, with him. But to expect him to not join the army for another 6 months --- very unrealistic.

He is not only going to be away for extended periods of time......he signed his LIFE away/put his line on the line for our Government.

1st one alone is a deal breaker. #2 is a seal (to me, don't get me wrong, fighting for our country is amazing/he will be a hero....unfortunately we are fighting corporate wars, not for MORALS or FREEDOM like they want people to think). No way in hell I would put my life or life of my sons on the line for some rich s. And don't even get me going on what they do with our "beloved heros" when they returned injured........they are left alone/on their own and often neglected. Our Government is messed up.

Also, clearly there will be more wars in the coming future (thx to Paris attacks)....he will be on front lines.....

I would say, distance and his life will separate you in time......like it or not, so might as well end it now.

Relationships REQUIRE daily/on regular basis in person companionship.

His actions are based on his indecision --- not on your prom and graduation date. You are expecting a lot from a guy who has no clue what he is doing.

even though I have told him that would be a deal breaker for me

Guess you need to put your money where your mouth is now.

And you're an adult who has nothing better to do than try to make a 17 year old feel bad about herself because you clearly live a pitiful and unfulfilled life. For the record, we've discussed the matter and we will not be breaking up. Thanks for being an unnecessary presence in my day.

Archived