Hello, I am an 18 years old male currently studying engineering. I am currently in an apparently deteriorating relationship with a girl and I was googling around to find help. I came across a thread on this forum where this guy was having a somewhat similar problem and people basically told him to break it up. Now, before I do anything I would like some specific help first so I can be at least a little bit sure about it. I am currently in my second year out of 5 in this school and so two years ago I took my high school finals. It was during that period that this girl first contacted me on Facebook. She added me, and because I am a bit of a lonely person I accepted the invitation. We didn't really talk for a period of months. You see, I have trouble communicating with girls-as weird as it sounds-. However I think during July of this year she poked me on Facebook. I responded by telling her someone might've hacked her account and poked me because we didn't really talk ever before so I figured that would be the case. She said it was intentional and then we started talking and one thing led to the other until we got a bit more intimate seen she sent me a few pictures of her.

However, in the first three weeks of the relationship she showed me some affection and since this is my first time ever having a girlfriend, even if it's a long distance relationship, it felt really good and I liked the whole deal so of course I showed her affection and I believe myself to be a bit dedicated to things so I gave her lots of sweet talk and basically did the caring affectionate boyfriend.Interestingly though, after that initial period, I noticed a significant drop in the amount of love I received from her: basically my messages being unanswered with huge delays when they are answered and a lack of any intimate talk and a dominating refusal to send me pictures. Moreover she kind of doesn't even acknowledge me as her boyfriend while of course constantly telling me that I wouldn't care if she moved out of my life (her way of saying breaking up) and that everything is normal and an overall "meh" attitude towards our relationship. Furthermore, I noticed that I am the one pumping whatever affection is in this relationship without her even giving two dimes about it. Overall, she is not doing any effort anymore to keep this relationship alive.

Now to the important bit: I am a lonely person, I rent a small sort of house outside the school alone of course and I have only 1 kind of intimate friend and just basic hello-hello relationship with my colleagues. I don't engage in social activities much and I grew up this way making me crave affection, love and care. Hell, GOD bless anonymity here ! I'll tell you this: sometimes a girl saying my name can get me a bit sexually active if you get what I mean. The reason I gave you these details is to hopefully allow for more precision in your judgement whether I should or not break up with her seen I don't have much support.

As for technical details, I live in a city which is 2 hours by car from hers, and I study in another city, 4 hours by car from hers. She's not very outgoing either and spends most of her time at home. She told me she had one boyfriend before and it was also on the internet but she found that he was lying to her about everything and they broke up. I always wanted to have a girlfriend in my life and I feel in cruel need for affection and love as I basically spent most of my time in front of screens and papers.

What I gently ask of you, is your opinion based on what I told you and hopefully any similarities you can find with other people who went through relatively similar experiences and I greatly appreciate any help specially if it's in a form of Arguments+Verdict. Thanks in advance !

She is not a girlfriend, she's someone you are friends with on facebook. There's no need to break up as you were not ever together. She sounds like she's moved on from you on fb and you need to chalk it up to experience and forget about her.

Get yourself out with your college mates, join groups and clubs and organizations that will help you meet people in the real world.

LDRs are really difficult to maintain. The problem is you see, you don't ever really KNOW the person. You don't have the normal day to day interactions with them and you can only ever know about them what they tell you, or what you see on Skype.

It doesn't sound as if she really wants a BF. Not a real one anyway. She likes the 'idea' of one, just like you like the idea of having a GF. But as you've discovered it's real hard. Feelings you think you might have aren't reciprocated. Messages don't get answered. Miscommunications happen. It all goes pear shaped.

Sometime in our lives we have to make an effort to create the life we want. You might be quiet and you may not have many friends. As you can see, internet friends aren't the most reliable. Stop having contact with her. Start having contact with the people, around you - at college, wherever. Make a conscious effort to talk to people, get interested in them and make friends. It will take time, but you need to get out into life and create the friendships and relationships you want. You won't find them over the Internet.

Archived