Job Drama

Hello ENA -

I cannot tell you how much I want the weekend right now. I absolutely love my job, love what I do, I have been with the same company for almost 5 years. I certainly have had my ups and downs during my career here, but today just really made me feel frustrated....and uncomfortable.

I have had an extremely busy week filled with meetings, conference calls, strategy sessions, interviews, ect. I work for a very large staffing firm as a Corporate Recruiter. So coupled with the fact that I work 10 hour days, work out before and after work, get little sleep, my patience has been very thin.

Today we had issues with our phones. We didn't know whether it was a network problem that was local or company wide. As a Staffing firm, we have interviews that come in all day lone. When our phones were down, our admin went downstairs to tell security to call her cell phone when interviews would arrive. She came back up to our office and you would have thought the building was on fire. She was going on and on about how frustrated and angry she was at our security team for not understanding that they have to call her cell phone instead of the office...and there were some other issues in there too, but I was trying to get work done so I was only overhearing what she was saying. Then one of our consultants who sits close to the lobby said that there was a candidate who just walked in, she flew off the handle yelling at him saying that she had already told security to call her cell phone when someone was coming up to our office. And I mean yelling. I am sure that candidate heard her too.

Now our admin has had multiple issues with people in our office. And we work in a small office, about 12 people, so it is really important to get along with everyone. You don't have to like everyone...but just be respectful. That is my motto.

I am not sure how to handle this. I have told one of the other managers who was not here when the incident happened, but I am considering informing our Market Director about this. I don't want to be creating more drama, but I also don't think it is appropriate to yell at someone like the way she did in a professional environment.

What would you do?

She wasn't yelling at the security officer, she was yelling at another consultant in the office. And I was not the only one there, there were a couple of other people in the office so it was extremely disruptive and inappropriate. No one should be yelled at in our office. Period. And I probably should have explained my role better. I actually work directly for our corporate office but sit out of a field location. So my responsibility is for the overall good of our organization and uphold our culture. Our culture has zero tolerance for that. No one wants to work in a place where there is yelling

She wasn't yelling at the security officer, she was yelling at another consultant in the office. And I was not the only one there, there were a couple of other people in the office so it was extremely disruptive and inappropriate. No one should be yelled at in our office. Period. And I probably should have explained my role better. I actually work directly for our corporate office but sit out of a field location. So my responsibility is for the overall good of our organization and uphold our culture. Our culture has zero tolerance for that. No one wants to work in a place where there is yelling

Well, with that clarification it would sound like reporting it is inside your job description.

Keep your head down.

Focus on the elephant in the room.....working 10 hour days.....while you are "busy" accomplishing NOTHING on meetings and conference calls.

Sorry, but no way in hell I would work 10 hour days.......that's no life.

Sometimes there are things which are out of your control, like phones not working, flights being delayed, traffic jams etc. etc.. All of these things are annoying, but you still can’t change them. So there is no point yelling. Yelling is never a good thing, it only adds stress and nobody has to put up with it.

So anyone in your office, especially a staffing firm, could have walked up to that girl and say: “Listen, it is annoying that the phones are not working, but we never yell at each other here”. If it is one of your responsibilities to uphold the good culture of your company, you should have taken her apart and say just that, even if you are not her direct manager.

Keep your head down.

Focus on the elephant in the room.....working 10 hour days.....while you are "busy" accomplishing NOTHING on meetings and conference calls.

Sorry, but no way in hell I would work 10 hour days.......that's no life.

Thank you for your input. I do not work 10 hour days regularly...it just so happened this week I had a lot on my plate. I also have an unlimited earning potential so the more work I put in, the more output I am going to receive. No one is forcing me to work the amount that I do. I am very much in charge of my career here and if I want to work late, I work late. If I want to leave early, I leave early. That's why I love my job and who we are as a company. I really want that energy and culture to be embraced by everyone here, no exceptions, and yelling is never the right answer and frankly will not be tolerated here.

Well it has been addressed. Myself and one other manager went to our Market Director and she had a meeting with our administrative assistant. Our admin is not sure if this is the right place for her and that is how the meeting ended. I would rather that be the outcome then no discussion at all. We cannot have people here that do not align with our culture, it is the most important component of our company.

I am definitely looking forward to Thanksgiving and a few days of rest. I need it.

Archived