Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young Woman Murdered By Man She Thought Was Her UBER Ride!

Platinum Member

Young Woman Murdered By Man She Thought Was Her UBER Ride!

Ok this is scary. The maniac who killed her was impersonating her Uber driver.

Apparently he stopped, she asked him if he was her Uber ride (which I always ask too), he said yes, and she got in.

Uber is how I get around most of the time, being I don't have a car living in city.

So now what? Expensive taxi I guess.

I'm never getting into another Uber again.

I'm so sorry for this young woman and her family and friends, she was only 21, may she RIP.
    Last edited by katrina1980; 04-15-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Platinum Member
    My understanding is that Uber gives you the driver's name,make and model of the car as well as license tag. That should be mre than enough information for anyone. From the video, she is talking on the phone as she gets into the car. I'm not sure she asked the driver anything.

Don't ask the driver, "Are you here for Angie?"? or whatever your name is. Ask him to tell you his name and who he is there to pick AFTER you have lookedat his license plate.

Platinum Member
    Good advice relevart..

So many of us take such things for granted and don't confirm info, me included. My bad. :(

I'm usually in such a hurry, and don't even think about possible consequences of not confirming.

I will be more diligent going forward, taking time to confirm info and asking him/her name of who he/she is picking up.

Thnx relevart.
    Last edited by katrina1980; 04-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Platinum Member
    I take Uber constantly.

Always, always, ALWAYS memorize the license plate and the color and make of the car, and the driver's name, BEFORE you get in. Double check before you even walk over to the car.

Also, the driver should know your name, since it's in the app. So ask the driver who he/she is picking up. They should say, "Katrina", and not ask you for your name.

In this story, the guy drove up and picked up this girl, who was likely drunk and didn't think to check that this wasn't even her Uber. Sad, but a lesson for us all.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I thank God I drive myself everywhere.

Platinum Member
    I've used Uber twice. It was fine - both times during the day - only issues were logistic. I have considered using it for my son and me (I would have to bring a booster seat for him which is a pain) and then I worry about safety because I'm even more "trapped" if I'm with my child. I may have no choice really this summer for certain camps he is attending. I'll see.

Platinum Member
    I take Uber whenever I go out to dinner, as if I'm even going to have one glass of wine, I don't want to drive.

Also, there's so little parking available anymore, and Uber comes faster than the valet can even bring your car around.

I also Uber to the airport, and I use it in other cities. I've probably taken over 1000 Uber rides.

I've never had one remotely bad experience. The drivers have been friendly, clean, courteous, and I always ask them to wait until I unlock my front door when they drop me off at night, to make sure I got in ok. Oh yeah, and I'm a good tipper.

But yeah, this story with this poor girl highlighted to me even more, the importance of memorizing the license plate, etc., and making sure the driver knows my name before I get in.

My niece was with me a few months ago, and I made her go through the routine: License plate ends in XH2, silver Altima, and his name is George.

Platinum Member
    Yes -with the safety protocols it should be fine. In my city the traffic is awful so whenever possible I walk/use public transportation. We happen to have excellent and convenient public transportation to the airport and much more reliable than risking traffic. If I start going out at night again I probably would use Uber.

There has been a couple of Uber drivers who have raped women as well.

I never have used one and I never will. Taxi if I'm going to have some wine.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LHGirl
    I take Uber constantly.

Always, always, ALWAYS memorize the license plate and the color and make of the car, and the driver's name, BEFORE you get in. Double check before you even walk over to the car.

Also, the driver should know your name, since it's in the app. So ask the driver who he/she is picking up. They should say, "Katrina", and not ask you for your name.

In this story, the guy drove up and picked up this girl, who was likely drunk and didn't think to check that this wasn't even her Uber. Sad, but a lesson for us all.
    Bolded, thanks LG, this is the same advice being given by the media too. May take a bit of extra time and effort but definitely worth it!

I've been lucky, nothing bad has ever happened. Hope nothing bad ever does!!

Yes big lesson learned going forward.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice