Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

How my son uses the sweetest most respectful tone of voice on zoom with his teachers. Can't he um spread the love like especially when it's time to stop the video game and go to bed? Not that I let him be on screens ever - like maybe three minutes after he's done crocheting and doing a puzzle and doing one of those crafty science experiments.......

Cold symptoms that come and go repeatedly but are (apparently) not a cold.

I've been Covid tested FIVE times and all were negative. But these pesky symptoms just keep coming back!

Ugh -and in a normal year you'd probably brush it aside after blowing your nose ..... I hope it stops soon!!

Ugh -and in a normal year you'd probably brush it aside after blowing your nose ..... I hope it stops soon!!

Thank you.

I've been dealing with this for years. It's the reason my doctor ordered a TON of tests about a year ago. Nothing was really found. I just feel crappy about 50% of the time.

The mouse on my other computer KEEPS.ON.LAGGING.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, there are a couple hyperactive kids upstairs making a ton of noise in their squeaky little voices.... NOT HELPING MATTERS.

And I have to rush all of my relaxing into five frickin minutes!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like a jerk for saying it, but it always grates on me when people use "bare" instead of "bear," (as in "I can't bare it"), "balling" instead of "bawling," (as in, "I was balling"). Stuff like that. I just now saw "sorted" in a sentence when it should have been "sordid," and it's like someone ran their fingers down a chalkboard. I don't know what my problem is. I know what they mean.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

I feel like a jerk for saying it, but it always grates on me when people use "bare" instead of "bear," (as in "I can't bare it"), "balling" instead of "bawling," (as in, "I was balling"). Stuff like that. I just now saw "sorted" in a sentence when it should have been "sordid," and it's like someone ran their fingers down a chalkboard. I don't know what my problem is. I know what they mean.

I saw someone on another board wrote they thought a pair of pants was "chique". It took me a beat to realize she meant "chic". Also "queue" and "cue". Or "loose" vs. "lose". And on and on.

Some people say "oh, who cares???!!" I do lol. English major here :p

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

I saw someone on another board wrote they thought a pair of pants was "chique". It took me a beat to realize she meant "chic". Also "queue" and "cue". Or "loose" vs. "lose". And on and on.

Some people say "oh, who cares???!!" I do lol. English major here :p

I just give people allowance because I know I make mistakes and my son is seriously disabled in his capacity to spell and some don’t have the same opportunities for education I did. 

1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

I'm used to UK English or words spelled in their original language so...

That is another thing... British spelling and American spelling. Anyone of my age in Canada was taught the British spelling of many words and you were reprimanded in school with a spelling mistake if you used the American spelling. Now I don’t think they care but my generation was taught to be highly aware of what was Canadian culture. 

3 hours ago, Jibralta said:

Same! I had a traumatic experience in second or third grade -the teacher, a non-english speaker, wrote "shur" on the board instead of "sure".  I pointed out the mistake and was made fun of since enough of my classmates didn't know about silent e and of course that "sure" is pronounced "shur" but no h.  But yes I am the same.  My friend told me her 20 something daughter put in an application for grad school where she spelled "soul" "sole" and had proofed it many times and apparently didn't know that there were two spellings.  My friend didn't think it was a big deal.  I did. (She got accepted so I guess in this  case my friend was right).  I didn't have spell check or google or a computer when I did my grad school admission essays, etc and the truth is I made a spelling error with the word "excel" on my admission essay LOL.  But I freaked out about it - it did mean something to me.  I also don't like "nip it in the butt" instead of bud lol.  

Annoying - people who come into our small elevator bank where we're supposed to socially distance -it's an enclosed space -without pulling the leash shorter so that their dog tries to leap at me forcing me into a corner "but he's friendly!" doesn't work for me.  At all.  I was bitten by a dog I knew well when I walked by him in my friend's home -leapt out at me and bit me randomly in the leg, breaking the skin.

29 minutes ago, HeartGoesOn said:

I'm also amazed at how often "there, their and they're" are used incorrectly.

I had a boyfriend who did this. I was in my very early 20s at the time, and really busted his balls about it. I have more tact, now. At least I like to think I do...

Same with it's and its.

36 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I pointed out the mistake and was made fun of since enough of my classmates didn't know about silent e and of course that "sure" is pronounced "shur" but no h.

I'm so sorry to laugh, but I find this hilarious. Oh, the irony! 

But isn't nonsense like this so common in everyday life?

36 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

My friend told me her 20 something daughter put in an application for grad school where she spelled "soul" "sole" and had proofed it many times and apparently didn't know that there were two spellings.

This reminds me of something that happened to me.

At my first job out of graduate school, I scanned a specification into Microsoft Word via a scanner with optical character recognition software.

The software didn't perfectly recognize every character, so I had to go through and make corrections. As I'm sure you are aware, Word puts a little wavy red line under misspelled words, so it was just a matter of hunting those down. 

WELL. Little did I know that one of the words had gotten replaced with the word "arse" throughout the spec. Even though "arse" is not American English, Word did not flag it as a misspelling!! 😂😂

Another stupid thing I did:

Back in college, I wrote a report on ancient Greece and in doing so learned a new word: oligopoly.

When I discussed oligopolies in my paper, I wasn't surprised when Microsoft Word put it's little squiggly red line under it.

I solved the problem by adding "ogliopoly" to Word's dictionary.... Only, if you noticed, I'd spelled it ogliopoly.

Turns out Word did have "oligopoly" in its dictionary! I'd been misspelling it the entire time. And I turned in a paper where I'd unabashedly misspelled it throughout! I didn't realize it til years later lol 😂

Now I catch myself using it's instead of its and their instead of there, etc. I'm losing it as I get older.

Anyway, I guess I'd better never make another spelling error again!

• Haha 1