Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

This is so "first world problems", but why is it that new technology takes longer to load?

If you are of advanced age you will remember turning on a TV, and it took 5 seconds for the picture to warm up. New TV's take 7-10 seconds. Why?

Remember the VCR, pop in the tape and it played in 3-5 seconds.

DVD/Blu Ray players, they take 10 seconds to load, and you can't skip the Piracy warnings! I just want to watch the damn movie!

Don't get me started on cars!

Automatic rear lift gates. I actually timed it watching someone else in a grocery store parking lot. It takes 7 seconds to open PLUS the time it takes to wave your foot correctly (3+ seconds) under the bumper.

It takes me 5 seconds (no foot waving either) which includes setting the groceries down on the ground to open lift gate manually.

Power seats....slower than manual front and backwards.

The one new thing the car companies have right is the push button start. That saves a second or two rather than orienting the key properly and finding the slot to put in the key to turn it.

That's enough venting for today!

This made me laugh. So true. I take my own sweet time with the groceries though.

I don't remember the last time I watched a tape recording or DVD!

I find the saying "ok, boomer" super annoying.

I'm not a boomer, but that doesn't matter.

I don't like broad generalizations to dismiss any group of people.

Also, a lot of my fave people were born during that time.

Yes so many times yes.

Annoying thing: hypocrisy. Bragfesting all over facebook about all the great things you're doing to help people during Covid while treating your own family like crap when it comes to the same exact thing.

So -this is annoying - even though my post might be more like a rant. I am really annoyed by people who assume that since my daily workout involves power walking not running or something else that it's "just walking." And I'll tell you why it annoys me. Because more and more on social media I see women bragging about their kick butt workouts, and about the fancy programs they do -whether virtual or in real life or some MLM type program. So if you're not doing some fancy or trendy work out then power walking becomes "taking a walk".

No. I don't brag about power walking. I share what I do when moms for example post about how in the world to start to get back in shape - they don't know where to start. They're bombarded with all these fancy expensive programs or gyms and I will share that given my limited time, my lifestyle, what I like to do - my preference is to do intense daily cardio for 30-35 minutes plus make sure that the rest of the day I am incorporating movement -I walk a great deal (less now because of Covid -no commute to my office for example which is a lot of walking) and I make sure I move my body. But the intense cardio only requires - comfortable clothing, good sneakers and for me good earbuds so I can listen to the radio while I do my walk. Before covid I was doing this on a treadmill in a fitness room 90% of the time but I won't go back to an indoor workout yet. I share this with moms to show them that you don't need fancy or expensive stuff to get in shape or at least get back in the saddle.

And yes I incorporate some core exercises while I walk, I do inclines,run up and stairwells as part of it, etc. So no, nothing fancy, no trendy name, and certainly not for everyone but no it's not "just" walking. In the last few days i explained to a few friends that for the first time in years I had to take 3 days off because of oral surgery I had - at least 3 days so I was back out there this morning. Two people wondered why I wasn't allowed to "walk". I was. Just no strenuous exercise and when I power walk and do my workout exercises while doing it I am completely spent -I push myself to the hilt - my speed is basically a running speed - and it feels awesome. And yes I'm fit and healthy and slim and could do more than 30-35 minutes but I'd rather know I'm doing that consistently every single day than feel guilty or off because of doing more some days than others (that's a mental thing to me -I'm more comfortable with the structure and consistency).

I really do think it's because of the infiltration and bombardment of this notion that if you're not doing some fancy shmancy trendy workout with all the bells and whistles you're not really working out. And I've been working out regularly since 1982 and too often I see that the women who pay for all these expensive bells and whistles give up fairly quickly. And try to sell their pelotons. (yes I would love one if I lived in a house - or my own treadmill - but only because I know I would use it based on my track record).

I'll add that the fancier programs are awesome for some people and motivating and essential -I've belonged to gyms - I just mean it's skewed and biased that way now.

Thanks for listening.

I find the saying "ok, boomer" super annoying.

I'm not a boomer, but that doesn't matter.

I don't like broad generalizations to dismiss any group of people.

Also, a lot of my fave people were born during that time.

Yup , my one niece says this to her dad ,my brother all the time. And her dad isn’t even a boomer but she is disparaging her grandmother. And they think they are so enlightened and progressive. 🤣

Spam bots.

1miae17100rp 04:46 PM

3adrianc993r 05:06 PM Registering

4lydiac1823g 05:26 PM Registering

5emmac952hp7 05:01 PM Modifying Avatar

6avac231tb4 05:31 PM Modifying Profile

7alicec9823y 05:11 PM Modifying Avatar

7evanc6423yr 04:59 PM Registering

8emmac551wa7 05:34 PM Modifying Profile

9audreyc791w 04:48 PM Modifying Profile

So -this is annoying - even though my post might be more like a rant. I am really annoyed by people who assume that since my daily workout involves power walking not running or something else that it's "just walking." And I'll tell you why it annoys me. Because more and more on social media I see women bragging about their kick butt workouts, and about the fancy programs they do -whether virtual or in real life or some MLM type program. So if you're not doing some fancy or trendy work out then power walking becomes "taking a walk".

No. I don't brag about power walking. I share what I do when moms for example post about how in the world to start to get back in shape - they don't know where to start. They're bombarded with all these fancy expensive programs or gyms and I will share that given my limited time, my lifestyle, what I like to do - my preference is to do intense daily cardio for 30-35 minutes plus make sure that the rest of the day I am incorporating movement -I walk a great deal (less now because of Covid -no commute to my office for example which is a lot of walking) and I make sure I move my body. But the intense cardio only requires - comfortable clothing, good sneakers and for me good earbuds so I can listen to the radio while I do my walk. Before covid I was doing this on a treadmill in a fitness room 90% of the time but I won't go back to an indoor workout yet. I share this with moms to show them that you don't need fancy or expensive stuff to get in shape or at least get back in the saddle.

And yes I incorporate some core exercises while I walk, I do inclines,run up and stairwells as part of it, etc. So no, nothing fancy, no trendy name, and certainly not for everyone but no it's not "just" walking. In the last few days i explained to a few friends that for the first time in years I had to take 3 days off because of oral surgery I had - at least 3 days so I was back out there this morning. Two people wondered why I wasn't allowed to "walk". I was. Just no strenuous exercise and when I power walk and do my workout exercises while doing it I am completely spent -I push myself to the hilt - my speed is basically a running speed - and it feels awesome. And yes I'm fit and healthy and slim and could do more than 30-35 minutes but I'd rather know I'm doing that consistently every single day than feel guilty or off because of doing more some days than others (that's a mental thing to me -I'm more comfortable with the structure and consistency).

I really do think it's because of the infiltration and bombardment of this notion that if you're not doing some fancy shmancy trendy workout with all the bells and whistles you're not really working out. And I've been working out regularly since 1982 and too often I see that the women who pay for all these expensive bells and whistles give up fairly quickly. And try to sell their pelotons. (yes I would love one if I lived in a house - or my own treadmill - but only because I know I would use it based on my track record).

I'll add that the fancier programs are awesome for some people and motivating and essential -I've belonged to gyms - I just mean it's skewed and biased that way now.

Thanks for listening.

Glad to hear your oral surgery went well!

I think the more a person has a chance to relax and listen to their own thoughts and get into their own rhythm (no matter what it is), the more meaningful life is. Kudos to you for doing what you love to do.

Glad to hear your oral surgery went well!

I think the more a person has a chance to relax and listen to their own thoughts and get into their own rhythm (no matter what it is), the more meaningful life is. Kudos to you for doing what you love to do.

That's really interesting -I like that!! So do you mean these accountability groups or people who are looking for the trendy/bells and whistles programs rather than getting back to the basics of their inner self/inner motivation are doing themselves a disservice -like, too much "noise?"

That's really interesting -I like that!! So do you mean these accountability groups or people who are looking for the trendy/bells and whistles programs rather than getting back to the basics of their inner self/inner motivation are doing themselves a disservice -like, too much "noise?"

I'm just happy I think to see you enjoying your love of power walking and being so confident to share thoughts and ideas with others. I think that's real confidence and a love of what a person loves to do, what makes them them.

I'm not sure what is going on with the other individuals but I think people come in all forms and in different states and phases of their lives. Maybe it's a disservice but I'm not sure any of us would be able to know unless we know the individuals or these people and how their lives are negatively impacted or areas of a person's life aren't being tended to in an effort to spend more time on the wrong things.

Sometimes people need what they need at certain times of their life, whether it's extra motivation or camaraderie that comes from a group class or a more social activity program or a program that's more trendy. There are a lot in my city like that from spin classes to yoga at every level and yoga retreats. We have lots of islands and cabins and getaways in BC so the options are endless for group activities or more trendy or complex programs. I think people in general want to belong and if there's a price for that, whether it's trendy or expensive, it's a small price to pay. This seems very natural for human behaviour as we are social creatures.

I think individuals who are connected to themselves and in tune with their heart and what makes them happy will naturally gravitate towards activities that don't do them a disservice. I think of it like "life choices". A person can choose x, y, z (whatever that may be) but if a person is in tune with themselves, they naturally won't do or choose something that doesn't fit with their lifestyle choice or what they believe in. Things are in harmony. Hopefully more often rather than less often. We all have off days or days where we don't make the best choices. I had fish and chips twice two days in a row and my digestive system nearly turned itself inside out. Sorry for the TMI. It wasn't a very wise choice but it was good. :)

LOL we like fish and chips too -I even tried them in iceland -and don't judge but the other day I made fish sticks for my son and I didn't have any chips -so I gave him goldfish crackers with it LOL.

I think there are people who gravitate towards trendy and programs and pricey stuff more from peer pressure than what they truly want.

• 2 weeks later...

People with no fundraising experience who start fundraising efforts to raise a mililion dollars using Facebook and one of those gofundme accounts and expecting people to donate with the promise that all proceeds will go to a certain type of worker -who the fundraiser only knows through online amazon wishlists, etc. Really?

Today I asked my mother if we could clean up some of her clutter and her response to me was that "she does not want to talk about it".

I pay for the housing and bills so I should be able to have a clean living space.

I just have such contempt for her and I'm counting the days that I don't have to deal with her.

(end rant)

People who can't just have a different political opinion but feel like they have to 1) convince me I'm wrong and 2) try to convince me to change my opinion to their opinion. No, I can think just fine for myself and arrive at my own conclusions! And I'm not "wrong" just because I disagree! And it really frosts my butt when I explain that I prefer not to discuss politics and they go "Why?? Why don't you want to? What's wrong with talking about it? So what DO you believe? WHO are you going to vote for???" And I calmly repeat "I just prefer not to discuss politics". I've seen people practically have an attack of some kind when I won't play. I said NO, people!!! Jeez!

People who can't just have a different political opinion but feel like they have to 1) convince me I'm wrong and 2) try to convince me to change my opinion to their opinion. No, I can think just fine for myself and arrive at my own conclusions! And I'm not "wrong" just because I disagree! And it really frosts my butt when I explain that I prefer not to discuss politics and they go "Why?? Why don't you want to? What's wrong with talking about it? So what DO you believe? WHO are you going to vote for???" And I calmly repeat "I just prefer not to discuss politics". I've seen people practically have an attack of some kind when I won't play. I said NO, people!!! Jeez!

Same experience here. Same reaction! Frustrating!

Lol frosts my butt.

Yes, that's annoying. Let it be, don't force it on someone who doesn't want to talk about it.

Random tidbit: I don't even know who my SO votes for, nor does he ever ask me. I have no clue who my parents voted for ever, though they encouraged us to be informed and form our own opinions.