Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

This is one hit wonder business is becoming the norm. 😝

Because they're not looking for advice.

They're looking for someone to tell them they're right, or for sympathy, or something along the lines of "of COURSE if you just stick around playing dumb he/she will realize how much you love him/her, stop cheating/lying/hitting you/drinking/doing drugs/gambling/following Instagram 'models'/inappropriately messaging their ex and commit to you! I see a marriage proposal/acceptance in your future ANY DAY NOW!!!" Or "Your ex will be back any day now, begging for forgiveness, telling you he/she made a huge mistake, and the two of you will live happily ever after! You absolutely should send that "apology" letter/"hi, how are you?" or birthday text because for sure your ex will read it and immediately make a beeline for your door with flowers!"

In other words, they want us to lie to them. And I am constitutionally unable to tell someone what they want to hear if I don't believe it's the truth.

• 4 weeks later...
I hate hate hate the news. It is traumatizing. I hear some news stories and I can get flash backs of images sometimes for a few months. I effin hate news.

The news is ridiculous. I never watch it.

It's not informative; it's just bait to charge people up and get them to sit through the advertisements. They fixate on and repeat one element of a situation and find a million ways to make it inflammatory.

Sponsored news is not objective.

Free (or cheap) information typically has no value.

What's annoying me today and lately is my sore neck and painful arm. I'm trying to keep my spirits up though. This is on top of losing my 14 yr old dog to cancer 2 mos ago. I hope to feel better after 6 wks of PT (physical therapy) and take better care of my health. It could be worse so I force myself to be grateful and count my blessings.

I hate hate hate the news. It is traumatizing. I hear some news stories and I can get flash backs of images sometimes for a few months. I effin hate news.

I can relate to this, so much. I can't stand the news. I've always felt this way, but my detestation for it seems to be growing with time. It's full of negativity, inflated egos and visuals that I'd rather not see or hear about.

I'm finding that I'm beginning to detest social media as well. I was one of the last people in my social circle (and that I knew of) to join FB. I guess it was never really my cup of tea, but I liked the idea of maintaining contact with friends other than via text messaging. But I've noticed that social media outlets (not just FB) have become so self-absorbed that I'm finding myself avoiding it altogether. I honestly have to take breaks from it. :S

I'm annoyed that he invited these people over without asking me first. I'm happy to have them, but I like having a chance to talk about it first. They aren't close friends, so I don't feel comfortable winging it and ' excuse the mess'.

I'm annoyed that I spent the day cleaning and stocking, because he doesn't think about these things. I'm annoyed I care about being a hostess - that it's so engrained.

Agree. Just read a marketing article that was most interesting. It stated that smartphones and all the apps, sites, etc are specifically designed and intended to slow you down, spend more time on them and, of course, that statistically increases ad time and thus spending.

It is similar to the strategy used by malls and supermarkets to have to meander past this, that and the other which has shown to increase impulse and unintended spending. So the frustration with all the apps and clicks etc is real. Because it's purposely there to slow you down.

So while these sites are "free" and people get invested by building content, (thus spending more and more time there to check updates, etc) they are the same thing as those samples at the supermarket. Just a lot of crappy cheese and crackers.

I'm finding that I'm beginning to detest social media as well

So while these sites are "free" and people get invested by building content, (thus spending more and more time there to check updates, etc) they are the same thing as those samples at the supermarket.

Same with mainstream media, talk shows, sitcoms, etc. They're 'free.' But they're really designed to keep you hooked so that you will stay for the ads.

i was looking up old movies on youtube and ended up on a river phoenix video. Oh. My. God. It's a video of a seventeen year old phoenix, nothing wrong with it but, you guessed it, the comments section. Holy cow. All these grown ass women sexualizing him while, in the same breath saying he's a child. Sexual comment ended with stuff like my sweet baby/child, he was such an innocent child, such a cute baby rest in peace little boy etc. I can't shake the disgust off. i would understand if they were saying he was a good looking youth or something, ya know, normal like that.

His facial features aren't even fully developed yet, his body is juvenile, his behavior that of a very nice, well behaved, ethical and smart teen. If you're going to go as far as sexualizing him, i would assume it is because you're somehow blinding yourself to the fact this is practically a child. Like those lecherous sleezebags saying "she looked older, i had no idea!". But when you're calling for his something in your something and also calling him a child, the dreadful realization that you're probably a parent or surrounded by someone's children leaves anyone sane (or, okay, me for one) tremendously uncomfortable.

it's not just individual wenches either, it's like 98% of the comments section. And i did not suppress the macabre compulsion to go see if the rest of the videos featuring him had the same responses. they did.

what the...? i can't shake it off, i feel like i'm covered in slugs or something i'm that grossed out.

If you're going to go as far as sexualizing him, i would assume it is because you're somehow blinding yourself to the fact this is practically a child.

Another explanation besides that could be that they were around his age when he was still alive. I had a huge crush on River Phoenix when I was a kid, from when I first saw him in Stand By Me (I was 10) through to when I was 16 and he died. Now, I look back on him fondly and think, "He was so gorgeous," but it's 100% coming from my feelings toward him when I was a child.