Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

I had a weird experience with a HR consultant. He tried to called me and sent me an email. The email was okay but left a voicemail that was a little weird, he said something like he couldn't understand why I wasn't answering the phone. So I replied to his email that he could call me the next day at 10 am. He never confirmed, ended up calling much later and then sent me a rude email that apparently I am available only once per day. I never experienced this kind of behavior 😮

What is a HR consultant? Do you mean job recruiter? Is this your current HR or a place you are applying to? If it's someone actually at the place you are applying perhaps it won't be a good fit. If it's just some headhunter, get rid of them. They are basically just sales people on a commission.

I had a weird experience with a HR consultant.
I had a weird experience with a HR consultant. He tried to called me and sent me an email. The email was okay but left a voicemail that was a little weird, he said something like he couldn't understand why I wasn't answering the phone. So I replied to his email that he could call me the next day at 10 am. He never confirmed, ended up calling much later and then sent me a rude email that apparently I am available only once per day. I never experienced this kind of behavior 😮

Why did you tell him he had to wait a day to call you?

What is a HR consultant? Do you mean job recruiter? Is this your current HR or a place you are applying to? If it's someone actually at the place you are applying perhaps it won't be a good fit. If it's just some headhunter, get rid of them. They are basically just sales people on a commission.

I applied for this job like a month ago. Yes he's a recruiter, it says HR consultant on his profile. It doesn't sound like a good fit to be honest, I don't mind having interviews at 3 am because of the time difference, but his first voicemail was already a little aggressive.

My mom used to work with recruiters a lot as part of her job. She said the problem with recruiters is that their main goal is to have a file cabinet full of job candidates so that they can market themselves to their true clients: the hiring companies.

Recruiters will entice you with potential jobs so that you give them more information about yourself. They add your information to a giant database of other job candidates so that can show companies how many resources they have.

They can definitely get you a job, but they also blow a lot of smoke up your ass. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can work for you.

I also have a friend who is between jobs half the time. She interacts with recruiters when she hunts for jobs and I usually hear stories of her frustrations during these times.

I've had a couple experiences with recruiters that weren't great. Pointless phone calls that I stopped attempting to return. They were just sniffing around for information, like my mom said. And I had a job, so I didn't need to entertain that nonsense.

The worst was when a couple recruiters actually called my office looking for me, right after I started a brand new job. The receptionist finally asked me point blank why I had recruiters calling me at my job!

I couldn't explain it, and I didn't want my new employers to think that this was just a temporary gig for me. After some thought, I realized that my LinkedIn profile said that I was open to new opportunities.

I'd had that checked off for years without incident. I guess that when the economy was in the tank, it wasn't a big deal because no one was looking. But when the economy picked up, recruiters really seized on that stuff. So, I unchecked the box.

I thought that calling me at my job was beyond brazen. They could have totally jeopardized my employment.

Anyway, about a year later, I had to field measure an office space for future renovation. It was a head-hunter office and it was filled with people sitting at desks, cold calling people for job opportunities!

Recruiters!

It was really funny being a fly on the wall in that environment. They're all right out of college, maybe 25-30 years old, no real experience. But when they're on the other side of the phone, you don't know that and they sound like they could actually be authorities on the matter.

Well, they're not authorities! They're just a bunch of kids in a holding pen, trying to make a buck.

How did this recruiter come across you? Hopefully you have a LinkedIn profile with a good head shot, your education, experience, affiliations, etc listed as well as an up to date resume on hand if you are looking for jobs. Particularly if you are looking to relocate.

Make sure you upload your contact lists and start making "connections" with friends, coworkers, former coworkers, alumni, etc. Try to apply for positions directly with the companies you are interested in. Unfortunately many recruiters are not much better than used car salesmen.

I applied for this job like a month ago. Yes he's a recruiter. I don't mind having interviews at 3 am because of the time difference.
My mom used to work with recruiters a lot as part of her job. She said the problem with recruiters is that their main goal is to have a file cabinet full of job candidates so that they can market themselves to their true clients: the hiring companies.

Recruiters will entice you with potential jobs so that you give them more information about yourself. They add your information to a giant database of other job candidates so that can show companies how many resources they have.

They can definitely get you a job, but they also blow a lot of smoke up your ass. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can work for you.

I also have a friend who is between jobs half the time. She interacts with recruiters when she hunts for jobs and I usually hear stories of her frustrations during these times.

I've had a couple experiences with recruiters that weren't great. Pointless phone calls that I stopped attempting to return. They were just sniffing around for information, like my mom said. And I had a job, so I didn't need to entertain that nonsense.

The worst was when a couple recruiters actually called my office looking for me, right after I started a brand new job. The receptionist finally asked me point blank why I had recruiters calling me at my job!

I couldn't explain it, and I didn't want my new employers to think that this was just a temporary gig for me. After some thought, I realized that my LinkedIn profile said that I was open to new opportunities.

I'd had that checked off for years without incident. I guess that when the economy was in the tank, it wasn't a big deal because no one was looking. But when the economy picked up, recruiters really seized on that stuff. So, I unchecked the box.

I thought that calling me at my job was beyond brazen. They could have totally jeopardized my employment.

Anyway, about a year later, I had to field measure an office space for future renovation. It was a head-hunter office and it was filled with people sitting at desks, cold calling people for job opportunities!

Recruiters!

It was really funny being a fly on the wall in that environment. They're all right out of college, maybe 25-30 years old, no real experience. But when they're on the other side of the phone, you don't know that and they sound like they could actually be authorities on the matter.

Well, they're not authorities! They're just a bunch of kids in a holding pen, trying to make a buck.

This was really interesting to read, I always dealt with professional recruiters, this was an exception I guess :eek:

How did this recruiter come across you? Hopefully you have a LinkedIn profile with a good head shot, your education, experience, affiliations, etc listed as well as an up to date resume on hand if you are looking for jobs. Particularly if you are looking to relocate.

Make sure you upload your contact lists and start making "connections" with friends, coworkers, former coworkers, alumni, etc. Try to apply for positions directly with the companies you are interested in. Unfortunately many recruiters are not much better than used car salesmen.

I applied for a job, then he contacted me via phone and email, and he also viewed my profile on LinkedIn. I believe my profile is pretty good, all information is updated, the photo is a standard one. This wasn't a random recruiter, I was actually interested in the job, but his behavior was strange, usually recruiters are nice and flexible, not passive-aggressive.

I was a recruiter for two years. Many years ago pre-internet. Loved my job and yes our true clients were the employers. Common knowledge. I believe I acted ethically at all times as did my boss. She was in the business for over 30 years (retired now). Great reputation and well-deserved. She even placed me once and also my husband. When I looked for part time work in 2014-16 I almost went back to recruiting but thought better of it. I had mixed experiences with recruiters at that time -mostly flakiness. I'm sorry this happened!

It smells like skunk in my apartment. Bad. It just happened about 2 hours ago and literally woke me up.

Could a skunk be nesting outside one of my windows?

I smelled it last night, too, while I was out for a walk. It was really strong and I looked around to see if a skunk may have goten hit by a car. But I didn't see anything.

When I got back into my apartment after the walk, I smelled it inside. It eventually dissipated.

Now, it's back with a vengeance.

It's odd to have such a smelly skunk walking around.

WTH?

A person I have a lot in common with who I connected with via a Facebook group, two-three weeks ago was totally enthusiastic about having our families meet (or just us) and asked me to hold this afternoon open. We had a very long phone convo last month and also texted. It wasn't the best day for me to get together but I wanted to be flexible so I agreed to today, in advance. A week later she responded to one of my texts a week late with a "sorry so busy at work, sorry for the delay". I responded with no worries and shared some story or news. No response -almost two weeks ago. No response to the bday message I left on her FB on her bday this past Friday. Why go to all the trouble of making advance plans and then going MIA on me (yes, she's fine -she took herself out for drinks on her bday and was out with her husband last night). Sure I could have "chased" her by writing again but I figure I wrote last and left her a bday message on Friday. Not interested in chasing. Annoying.

I am supremely irked with my boss right now, that is dumping all sorts of things on me and never told me about it. Things that until January had been exclusively his domain, now I am getting threats about the future of my job. that jerk! If he'd told me about taking up these duties and him just playing on his computer instead of working, I could deal with that. But this ? Nope!

Can I do the sales and proposals writing in addition to the engineering? Absolutely. But when I don't get the emails, when I'm not told that these are my new duties; he can go himself. Just some communication would be nice, some leadership rather than expecting me to read minds or go hat in hand every day to be ignored asking about upcoming things.

An ahole neighbour who moved into the house next to us recently. This place was so peaceful before.its a major reason we chose to live here. It's 3:30 in the morning and the noise has been going steady. I have to work in the morning. I'm pissed off. It's not the first time at all. I try to be tolerant but he's just a turd. The cops have been over there before for what I'm assuming is noise complaints, but he just keeps right at it. I'm home alone this week so it pisses me off even more, as I don't want to draw attention to that fact to a turd with no sense of boundaries.

I just don't do well at all anymore if I don't get proper sleep. I spent years and years struggling to get my sleep in order, and I did. So it extra annoys me, sleep is so freaking precious to me. Who the hell is this random ahole to screw that up?! He can f right off.

I may have to cancel a trip to Europe I planned and paid for a year ago. My mother fell and broke her hip last week and my trip is in mid-April. I don't know how well she will do or if I'll be able to make the trip. Between that and the threat of a travel ban due to the stupid coronavirus propaganda, it's looking like this trip may not have been meant to be. Figures. It would be my first time travelling abroad. Disclaimer: I'm not annoyed that my mom got injured and I don't think the coronavirus is a hoax (although I do think the reports on it are being sensationalized). I'm just annoyed at the timing of it all. I do have travel insurance that I think will probably cover the cancellation if I have to go that route. Maybe I can look at that as a silver lining. Sigh.

I may have to cancel a trip to Europe I planned and paid for a year ago. My mother fell and broke her hip last week and my trip is in mid-April. I don't know how well she will do or if I'll be able to make the trip. Between that and the threat of a travel ban due to the stupid coronavirus propaganda, it's looking like this trip may not have been meant to be. Figures. It would be my first time travelling abroad. Disclaimer: I'm not annoyed that my mom got injured and I don't think the coronavirus is a hoax (although I do think the reports on it are being sensationalized). I'm just annoyed at the timing of it all. I do have travel insurance that I think will probably cover the cancellation if I have to go that route. Maybe I can look at that as a silver lining. Sigh.

My boyfriend house sits his friends house every year in another state. It's cheaper to send him a round trip plane ticket then to board their dog for 2 weeks while they go to Scotland. I bought a non refundable ticket to go up there for 4 days during his stay.

This couple owns a 4k sq foot home on a hill top with a vineyard. It has it's own movie theatre and wine cellar. It's stunning! Needless to say, they have a little bit of money.

I just got word they may not go to Scotland for the same reason. Aarrgh! I'll be out the money for the plane ticket, not to mention the trip ;(