Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

Yes, much less activity. Lots of Reddit style one-and-done, lots of derailing and infighting and regulars making it all about themselves and catfights for pages. What new posters would bother joining/posting seeing that? What posters would return to a thread to post seeing that? Another thread recently closed due to this.

People benefit from a variety of opinions but a couple of posters see fit to derail threads into why they are right and start quoting and discrediting everyone else, deconstructing everyone's post, etc. what's the point? This is a deterrent to join, start a new thread, return to the thread or stay.

This board seems slow lately. More so on some days.

I am getting the sense that due to this some threads are over exercised to the point of being lost in translation.

The original question gets twisted into an entirely different shape

The rampant social media response where apparently planning to take your healthy child to an outdoor playground in an area that is not at all under quarrantine (just "social distancing") is considered selfish by some. I have to ignore. (and I'm not saying we will do that but there are parents who like me are planning on it for next week when schools are closed).

So, I read an article about a man and his wife who were buying literally cases and cases of Lysol wipes, kleenex, etc. And reselling them on Amazon at four times the price.

Firstly, what kind of despicable human beings profit off of an outbreak, and secondly, what is wrong with the shops that they allowed these people to stroll in there and sold them a ridiculous amount like this?!?

What burned me up the most? Their reasoning was, it was an opportunity to take advantage and so they did to help pay for their children's private school...private school no less!! These are not poor people!

Grrrrrrrrrr! Some people really are the lowliest of the low. Karma.

Yes, much less activity. Lots of Reddit style one-and-done, lots of derailing and infighting and regulars making it all about themselves and catfights for pages. What new posters would bother joining/posting seeing that? What posters would return to a thread to post seeing that? Another thread recently closed due to this.

People benefit from a variety of opinions but a couple of posters see fit to derail threads into why they are right and start quoting and discrediting everyone else, deconstructing everyone's post, etc. what's the point? This is a deterrent to join, start a new thread, return to the thread or stay.

Or those who post paragraphs and paragraphs about themselves and patting themselves on the back for how they conduct their own relationship without realizing it does not help the OP one bit.

I use a blunt approach because I don't feel that coddling is helpful, but if someone disagrees it doesn't ruin my day. Different opinions are great, that's what I love about people.

On a different topic, I woke up this morning with common cold symptoms. In order to be responsible I am going to self-quarantine from work if the symptoms aren't gone by Monday. I am pretty confident it's just a cold but I won't take chances with other peoples' health.

There is no rep point button on off topic thread, but if there were this post deserves one. Agree. Unfortunately for the OP, the thread had to be closed with that type of ego contest catfight .

Or those who post paragraphs and paragraphs about themselves and patting themselves on the back for how they conduct their own relationship without realizing it does not help the OP one bit.

It's a sad world when some choose to cash in on other people's misfortunes, yet unfortunately it's an every day occurrence.

On a lighter note, I lost my prescription glasses while grocery shopping yesterday. You would think they'd be easily found due to the mostly empty shelves, but thankfully I have another pair.

It's a sad world when some choose to cash in on other people's misfortunes, yet unfortunately it's an every day occurrence.

On a lighter note, I lost my prescription glasses while grocery shopping yesterday. You would think they'd be easily found due to the mostly empty shelves, but thankfully I have another pair.

Oh no!!! I'm glad you have another pair. I sort of do - but you know they're so expensive my spare is one prescription prior to this one. Hopefully someone will find them.See if someone put them on one of those double rolls of TP where each roll is one of the "eyes."

Hope you're otherwise doing well. Hanging in.

There is no rep point button on off topic thread, but if there were this post deserves one. Agree. Unfortunately for the OP, the thread had to be closed with that type of ego contest catfight

I use a blunt approach because I don't feel that coddling is helpful, but if someone disagrees it doesn't ruin my day. Different opinions are great, that's what I love about people.

100% agree, Wiseman and Bolt.

The patting oneself on the back for what they do and how they do it, to the degree of making others on this forum upset and annoyed, is uncalled for.

Sigh, what can you do? Shame for the OP who now can't get further replies that are actually helpful.

I'm fairly sure I know which thread you're referring to. It's not the first time. But, move on I guess.

I also had a bad head cold and considered if it was something more, but the worst is over now and I did stay home(lucky I was able to). Hope you're feeling better, Bolt.

Sadly another thread closed due to the "agree to disagree" crowd.

But they are not "agreeing to disagree" when they continue to repost their point of view. Over and over and over. Look, we got it. We don't need it to be rewritten repeatedly.

Thanks for the well wishes, Sherry. Glad you are feeling better.

But they are not "agreeing to disagree" when they continue to repost their point of view. Over and over and over. Look, we got it. We don't need it to be rewritten repeatedly.

Lol, this brought about a mental picture of someone beating someone with a baseball bat.."You will listen!!"...sorry, in a weird mood right now.

Typed word assault *ducking for cover*

Thanks, Bolt. I am at the place of my cold/flu where it feels all gone, then I wake up blocked up. Then it settles down and then I am sneezing..ugh. It's at the end but is reeeeeally hanging on.

Hope you're feeling better too.

Lol, this brought about a mental picture of someone beating someone with a baseball bat.."You will listen!!"...sorry, in a weird mood right now.

Typed word assault *ducking for cover*

Thanks, Bolt. I am at the place of my cold/flu where it feels all gone, then I wake up blocked up. Then it settles down and then I am sneezing..ugh. It's at the end but is reeeeeally hanging on.

Hope you're feeling better too.

LOL "My relationship is perfect!!! You WILL do things my way!!!"

I feel better today. Everything is releasing so my headache is gone (for now). Runny nose and a minor sore throat. I do want to go into work since I am allowed to stay home but won't be paid if I do. But I won't if I still have cold symptoms.

Bad thing is, I am scheduled to transfer to a state that has a very high number of cases in 10 days. So I have to move there and immediately stay at home. My training will be virtual so that's good (it's a promotion). And it's salaried rather than hourly so I won't lose pay. So, good and not so good!

Hope you continue to get better, Sherry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Fred and Friends bear oven mitts (just look how cute they are: here) were damaged by the fire. My husband was baking and these oven mitts were hanging on the wall, when suddenly the one mitt combusted and he had to extinguish the flames. It was so stressful!