Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

The annoyance of having to self-talk myself away from staring at an accident waiting to happen and knowing "I am not his mom" which is only compounded by my son saying "look what [D] is doing!!!" (first grader balancing on a stair railing several feet above the concrete below right before the school bus is set to arrive, yes in full view of his mother) and me replying broken record style "I see. I'm not his mother though."

Of course there was the annoying time my son fell out of his favorite tree and was fine and as a parent sitting a few feet away I wanted him to show his resilience and get up and handle it (and come to me if he needed to be cleaned up, etc) only to be judged by another mom I didn't know explaining to me that my son had fallen with the "how can you just sit there" look. Annoying because it's a tough call and annoying to be implicitly judged. (Yes, he cried, yes, he was fine, yes he climbed the tree again minutes later).

Yikes!

Yeah it's a tough call sometimes. I don't want to be one of those people who are always interfering, but if a child is in immediate danger then I jump in.

Example being a cousin of mine who was watching her little guy jump over the bonfire. He was maybe 4 ? at the time. She was pretty irritated with me, but I couldn't live with if he had gotten burns playing where he really isnt going to learn anything except fire hurts!!

Yikes!

Yeah it's a tough call sometimes. I don't want to be one of those people who are always interfering, but if a child is in immediate danger then I jump in.

Example being a cousin of mine who was watching her little guy jump over the bonfire. He was maybe 4 ? at the time. She was pretty irritated with me, but I couldn't live with if he had gotten burns playing where he really isnt going to learn anything except fire hurts!!

Yes, exactly, that kind of thing. I once tried to tell a mom that her nanny (who might have actually been her mother, oops) was yanking her little girl -toddler- around by her arm in an incredibly rough way. The mom did not want to hear it -interrupted me "she's fine! she's fine!" but I thought I needed to say something.

And I will say something if my child is at risk of getting hurt -like if children are playing with sharp sticks on playground equipment, etc.

Yes, exactly, that kind of thing. I once tried to tell a mom that her nanny (who might have actually been her mother, oops) was yanking her little girl -toddler- around by her arm in an incredibly rough way. The mom did not want to hear it -interrupted me "she's fine! she's fine!" but I thought I needed to say something.

And I will say something if my child is at risk of getting hurt -like if children are playing with sharp sticks on playground equipment, etc.

One of my pet peeves come to mind here. People who let their children run around a store. I put the fear of life into mine. Well, not exactly. It's just basic consideration. But if I see kids running around, I will tell them to stop. I don't care if their parents hear me. No one has disputed it yet.

When I was young,working in a restaurant a young boy had a toy car and while I was really busy ringing up checks and taking money for the long line of people buying pies, this little boy ran his car all over the counter, up and down the sides of my cash register making roaring cars sounds. Yep, I snatched the car from the little boy. Stared at him, paused and gave it back and told him, `don't do it again' Imagine the look on his face, not the mention his parents :)

These moments come out of my mouth before I have time to think. I haven't regretted it, but my time might be coming.

One of my pet peeves come to mind here. People who let their children run around a store. I put the fear of life into mine. Well, not exactly. It's just basic consideration. But if I see kids running around, I will tell them to stop. I don't care if their parents hear me. No one has disputed it yet.

When I was young,working in a restaurant a young boy had a toy car and while I was really busy ringing up checks and taking money for the long line of people buying pies, this little boy ran his car all over the counter, up and down the sides of my cash register making roaring cars sounds. Yep, I snatched the car from the little boy. Stared at him, paused and gave it back and told him, `don't do it again' Imagine the look on his face, not the mention his parents :)

These moments come out of my mouth before I have time to think. I haven't regretted it, but my time might be coming.

I agree and I've almost run into little kids running around. If mine gets out of hand even a little I reign him in ASAP. I also don't like when parents let little kids run around museums near paintings/art work, etc.

The other day my son wanted to go on a swing. There was an adult on the swing (which is not ok at a kids playground if other kids are waiting). The swing next to that one wasn't one he preferred. So he waited and she got off and he got on. Then she got on the one next to him and started swinging wildly side to side (which she'd been doing earlier when the swing next to her was empty) - she was swinging so wildly that she was inches away from him and I was concerned (swing could have hit him or parts of her body). So I walked over and gave her a look. She knew exactly why. She kept up her antics. I then said "please stop swinging so close to my son" -she said "I was doing this before" and I said "yes but now he is on the next swing and I don't want him to get hurt. Please stop." She said something about my not having to be confrontational and I said again "Please stop." She said "I have kids too". (ok......). She did get off, she went over to another part of the playground with some other adults, didn't seem to have any kids with her. I will totally do Mama Bear as needed (no I did not want my son to ask her because of her age/size and erratic behavior).

I don't want to be one of those people who are always interfering, but if a child is in immediate danger then I jump in.

That reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago..... But first I have to give some seemingly unrelated backstory: One of my friends (Lisa) had recently divorced and remarried her husband (Ted), who was a serial cheater and a perpetual clown.

We were at a party for my friend's engagement. Both Lisa and Ted were at this party. A little girl (2 - 3 years old) was standing on a kitchen chair, leaning forward towards a cake on the kitchen table. Those of us near by could see the disaster waiting to happen--chair slides back, kid smacks her head on the table. But we weren't sure who her parents were or where they were. There was an old man sitting in a chair right next to hers. We assumed he was her grandfather. But he did nothing to restrain her.

My boyfriend and I looked at each other like Wt f do we do? We didn't know whether to talk to the old man, talk to the little girl, plead with her, or just pick her up and put her on the floor. While we were standing there scratching our heads, Ted the Lecher strolled over to the little girl and said, "Hey sweetie! What your doing right now is really dangerous. Can you sit on the chair for me like a good girl?" And she sat right down!

Crisis averted. So easy. My boyfriend and I were mystified.

I was so impressed. Ted went from being a d-mbass to a parent in one second flat. Then he went back to being a d-mbass. But even so, I thought, "Wow, Ted really is a skilled parent. I can see how she Lisa must have missed his presence in their family while they were apart [they have two daughters together]"

But alas, Ted's inner d_mbass trumped his inner parent and they're divorced again.

he really isnt going to learn anything except fire hurts!!

Plus, 2nd or 3rd degree burns can do permanent damage or be fatal!

That reminds me of something that happened a couple of years ago..... But first I have to give some seemingly unrelated backstory: One of my friends (Lisa) had recently divorced and remarried her husband (Ted), who was a serial cheater and a perpetual clown.

We were at a party for my friend's engagement. Both Lisa and Ted were at this party. A little girl (2 - 3 years old) was standing on a kitchen chair, leaning forward towards a cake on the kitchen table. Those of us near by could see the disaster waiting to happen--chair slides back, kid smacks her head on the table. But we weren't sure who her parents were or where they were. There was an old man sitting in a chair right next to hers. We assumed he was her grandfather. But he did nothing to restrain her.

My boyfriend and I looked at each other like Wt f do we do? We didn't know whether to talk to her, plead with her, or just pick her up and put her on the floor. While we were standing there scratching our heads, Ted the Lecher strolled over to the little girl and said, "Hey sweetie! What your doing right now is really dangerous. Can you sit on the chair for me like a good girl?"

Crisis averted. So easy. My boyfriend and I were mystified.

I was so impressed. Ted went from being a d-mbass to a parent in one second flat. Then he went back to being a d-mbass. But even so, I thought, "Wow, Ted really is a skilled parent. I can see how she Lisa must have missed his presence in their family while they were apart [they have two daughters together]"

But alas, Ted's inner d_mbass trumped his inner parent and they're divorced again.

Plus, 2nd or 3rd degree burns can do permanent damage or be fatal!

Wow that's some story! That reminds me about being at a 1 year old bday party many years before I had kids and they had those steaming trays of food with the burners underneath and cringing at the moms letting their toddlers play right near the burners. I did say something of some kind but it was ignored. All was ok though.....

Divorced twice -wow.

My son -a 5th grader -was given chocolate powder by his friend which he tasted and brought home (in a small container from the friend's home, "unwrapped"). I told him he could not have anymore of it, that I would buy him his own chocolate powder for special treats, and that I was going to email the teacher to make sure they're enforcing the no sharing policies because as a habit, powders really concern me as far as tampering issues, etc (even though I told him I was sure this powder was fine and it was - I told him as a rule never to accept opened powder of any kind from another child). I told the teacher that powders particularly concerned me. She said she'd inform the lunch monitors. Who then -annoying part -apparently announced to the fifth grade (we're talking close to 100 students) that there should be no sharing and that this was "especially" for (my son's name). First I'm sure he's not the only one and second obviously his classmate offered the powder to him. My son doesn't want me to follow up further. Did they really need to mention him by name? I thought I was doing the right thing in particular for students who have allergies and just in general with the stories in the news about kids getting sick from drug laced candy (and I assume powders would be even easier).

My son -a 5th grader -was given chocolate powder by his friend which he tasted and brought home (in a small container from the friend's home, "unwrapped"). I told him he could not have anymore of it, that I would buy him his own chocolate powder for special treats, and that I was going to email the teacher to make sure they're enforcing the no sharing policies because as a habit, powders really concern me as far as tampering issues, etc (even though I told him I was sure this powder was fine and it was - I told him as a rule never to accept opened powder of any kind from another child). I told the teacher that powders particularly concerned me. She said she'd inform the lunch monitors. Who then -annoying part -apparently announced to the fifth grade (we're talking close to 100 students) that there should be no sharing and that this was "especially" for (my son's name). First I'm sure he's not the only one and second obviously his classmate offered the powder to him. My son doesn't want me to follow up further. Did they really need to mention him by name? I thought I was doing the right thing in particular for students who have allergies and just in general with the stories in the news about kids getting sick from drug laced candy (and I assume powders would be even easier).

You did the right thing! O-M-G... are the people at the school idiots? If it wasn't done intentionally because they were miffed about the complaint, then they are idiots! If it WAS done intentionally because they were miffed about the complaint, then they are idiots! And these people are teaching our children!

You did the right thing! O-M-G... are the people at the school idiots? If it wasn't done intentionally because they were miffed about the complaint, then they are idiots! If it WAS done intentionally because they were miffed about the complaint, then they are idiots! And these people are teaching our children!

Yes, I don't get it -and I wasn't there. Honestly I thought it was helpful and made it clear I wasn't "tattling" -the boy who offered chocolate powder did nothing wrong -but between issues of drugs and allergies (and we all know that powder gets in the air so easily -my son has no allergies though) - I figured this is just a bad practice to allow. I'm fine with you know the chips/cookies, trading to an extent. But not this and I told my son I'm sorry that with today's world I have to tell you not to share.

Son doesn't want me to follow up. Husband's opinion is not to follow up and see if this kind of thing happens again.