Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

One of my employees threw a superlative tantrum when I assigned her to do some work. She wants to sit in a chair and look at Facebook and YouTube all day. How DARE I make her WORK???!!!

Sounds like my coworker. She wants to watch videos instead of replying to emails.

So what are you saying? Is this passive-aggressive or rhetorical or obtuse?👎🐾 🐛🖐🦄👆🐐🦗👉🐾👇🐽🤞🐩🤙🦌🤘🐴🐑👌🐏👍🐖🐄🦏👈🦍🖖🤚

But if one is obtuse, would they have the wherewithal to deliberately be that way? :eek:

Difference between the "slow" and the deliberately obtuse:

"...deliberately obtuse people know exactly what the other person means but they will pretend as if they don’t, just to generate a reaction or start an argument."

Also known as Sea-lioning a kind of harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".

Sound familiar?

You got it Wise. I know you are being ironic. That's what the deliberately obtuse would try on.

"I don't get it. Can you clarify this? "

More:

Sea-lioning: "A subtle form of trolling involving "bad-faith" questions. You disingenuously frame your conversation as a sincere request to be enlightened, placing the burden of educating you entirely on the other party. If your bait is successful, the other party may engage, painstakingly laying out their logic and evidence in the false hope of helping someone learn. In fact you are attempting to harass or waste the time of the other party, and have no intention of truly entertaining their point of view. Instead, you react to each piece of information by misinterpreting it or requesting further clarification, ad nauseum."

Now does it sound familiar?

"...deliberately obtuse people know exactly what the other person means but they will pretend as if they don’t, just to generate a reaction or start an argument."

Also known as Sea-lioning a kind of harassment which consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".

Sound familiar?

You got it Wise. I know you are being ironic. That's what the deliberately obtuse would try on.

More:

Sea-lioning: "A subtle form of trolling involving "bad-faith" questions. You disingenuously frame your conversation as a sincere request to be enlightened, placing the burden of educating you entirely on the other party. If your bait is successful, the other party may engage, painstakingly laying out their logic and evidence in the false hope of helping someone learn. In fact you are attempting to harass or waste the time of the other party, and have no intention of truly entertaining their point of view. Instead, you react to each piece of information by misinterpreting it or requesting further clarification, ad nauseum."

Whoa...

Pretty deep for this early in the morning!

You talkin' to me?🐽🐾

And this is why I have resorted to a few succinct sentences and mostly, emoji talk.

Sound familiar?

More:

Probably an old one by now but I was in a really crowded elevator packed like sardines and the woman standing less than a foot away from me decided to accept a non-urgent cell phone call (I could tell, non-urgent) and talk LOUDLY. I put my fingers in my ears. I had a heavy shopping cart, and had just walked 3/4 of a mile with the cart, didn't need that noise pollution. Not sure if she saw me plug my ears. Don't care.

Probably an old one by now but I was in a really crowded elevator packed like sardines and the woman standing less than a foot away from me decided to accept a non-urgent cell phone call (I could tell, non-urgent) and talk LOUDLY.

I thought for sure you were going to say she farted. Ever have that happen in an elevator, or on a plane? :eek: