Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

Probably going to get hated for this but I'm sick of doctors/nurses posting selfies with masks on and fishing for compliments. It puts down the serious members of staff who are busy saving lives rather than taking selfies in the toilet. We get it, we're thankful, we applaud you, do I really need a close up of your face in a mask on my news feed when people are dying though?

I'm sorry to hear that, Batya.

My mom said that this reminds her of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Yes- I can see that! We just watched part of the original Dial M for Murder the other day -so is this like The Birds? We love Hitchcock.

I hope your mother is doing well.

Probably going to get hated for this but I'm sick of doctors/nurses posting selfies with masks on and fishing for compliments. It puts down the serious members of staff who are busy saving lives rather than taking selfies in the toilet. We get it, we're thankful, we applaud you, do I really need a close up of your face in a mask on my news feed when people are dying though?

Nurse here and I agree. I'm also sick of the hero worship. I'm a medical professional, not an inevitable sacrifice. Nurses and doctors also have had violence happen I lie about my profession now when asked and I won't wear scrubs in public.

I'm so sick of everything. If I didn't need the money, I would have quit a while ago and laughed all the way to the bank

I need to cancel my satellite TV and internet services. Of course, the only way you can do that is to call. The links that allegedly allow you to cancel online "mysteriously" don't work and the chat directs you to a phone number. I've had to do this before and had to endure 20 minutes of them trying to talk me out of cancelling.

Corona-catastrophising, rumours and misinformation.

From The Lancet

"Addressing the Munich Security Conference on Feb 15, 2020, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, “we're not just fighting an epidemic; we're fighting an infodemic.” The ease through which inaccuracies and conspiracies can be repeated and perpetuated via social media and conventional outlets puts public health at a constant disadvantage. It is the rapid dissemination of trustworthy information—transparent identification of cases, data sharing, unhampered communication, and peer-reviewed research—which is needed most during this period of uncertainty. There may be no way to prevent a COVID-19 pandemic in this globalised time, but verified information is the most effective prevention against the disease of panic."

Agree. I have seen the most fantastical stuff being passed around on both sides. Someone said the virus can travel 27 feet from one person to another. Others say it's a hoax resulting from a collaboration between the House Speaker and Chinese government (not sure how they got all the other countries on board, but whatever).

I still think (and I am no medical professional ) that the easiest way to become infected is to come in direct contact with an infected person. I still am disinfecting everything but I feel it's unlikely I will get it from touching a can of soup I bought at the grocery store or stepping in it outside.

Getting ready to go move my car closer hopefully. Mask and gloves at the ready!

Back in the day, I used to watch her show when I was on the treadmill.

I thought it was so funny when deadbeat dads would say, "I can't afford to pay child support," and she'd skewer them with lines like, "I find that hard to believe. It's clear that you've got enough to eat!"

She started out as a family court judge, so she's heard all the excuses.

She's a Judge who hears civil cases where the people agree to do it live on TV. It's been on for decades.

It's me and the old ladies who watch it. I have it in the background when I am bored of listening to music.

• 2 weeks later...