Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 149 of 156 FirstFirst ... 146147148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1553

Thread: What's annoying you today? Part 2

Originally Posted by kim42
    I had a weird experience with a HR consultant. He tried to called me and sent me an email. The email was okay but left a voicemail that was a little weird, he said something like he couldn't understand why I wasn't answering the phone. So I replied to his email that he could call me the next day at 10 am. He never confirmed, ended up calling much later and then sent me a rude email that apparently I am available only once per day. I never experienced this kind of behavior 😮
    My mom used to work with recruiters a lot as part of her job. She said the problem with recruiters is that their main goal is to have a file cabinet full of job candidates so that they can market themselves to their true clients: the hiring companies.

Recruiters will entice you with potential jobs so that you give them more information about yourself. They add your information to a giant database of other job candidates so that can show companies how many resources they have.

They can definitely get you a job, but they also blow a lot of smoke up your ass. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can work for you.

I also have a friend who is between jobs half the time. She interacts with recruiters when she hunts for jobs and I usually hear stories of her frustrations during these times.

I've had a couple experiences with recruiters that weren't great. Pointless phone calls that I stopped attempting to return. They were just sniffing around for information, like my mom said. And I had a job, so I didn't need to entertain that nonsense.

The worst was when a couple recruiters actually called my office looking for me, right after I started a brand new job. The receptionist finally asked me point blank why I had recruiters calling me at my job!

I couldn't explain it, and I didn't want my new employers to think that this was just a temporary gig for me. After some thought, I realized that my LinkedIn profile said that I was open to new opportunities.

I'd had that checked off for years without incident. I guess that when the economy was in the tank, it wasn't a big deal because no one was looking. But when the economy picked up, recruiters really seized on that stuff. So, I unchecked the box.

I thought that calling me at my job was beyond brazen. They could have totally jeopardized my employment.

Anyway, about a year later, I had to field measure an office space for future renovation. It was a head-hunter office and it was filled with people sitting at desks, cold calling people for job opportunities!

Recruiters!

It was really funny being a fly on the wall in that environment. They're all right out of college, maybe 25-30 years old, no real experience. But when they're on the other side of the phone, you don't know that and they sound like they could actually be authorities on the matter.

Well, they're not authorities! They're just a bunch of kids in a holding pen, trying to make a buck.
    Last edited by Jibralta; 02-15-2020 at 07:49 AM.

2. 02-15-2020, 07:44 AM

3. 02-15-2020, 07:52 AM
    Reason
    Reference to deleted post.

How did this recruiter come across you? Hopefully you have a LinkedIn profile with a good head shot, your education, experience, affiliations, etc listed as well as an up to date resume on hand if you are looking for jobs. Particularly if you are looking to relocate.

Make sure you upload your contact lists and start making "connections" with friends, coworkers, former coworkers, alumni, etc. Try to apply for positions directly with the companies you are interested in. Unfortunately many recruiters are not much better than used car salesmen.
    I applied for this job like a month ago. Yes he's a recruiter. I don't mind having interviews at 3 am because of the time difference.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    My mom used to work with recruiters a lot as part of her job. She said the problem with recruiters is that their main goal is to have a file cabinet full of job candidates so that they can market themselves to their true clients: the hiring companies.

Recruiters will entice you with potential jobs so that you give them more information about yourself. They add your information to a giant database of other job candidates so that can show companies how many resources they have.

They can definitely get you a job, but they also blow a lot of smoke up your ass. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can work for you.

I also have a friend who is between jobs half the time. She interacts with recruiters when she hunts for jobs and I usually hear stories of her frustrations during these times.

I've had a couple experiences with recruiters that weren't great. Pointless phone calls that I stopped attempting to return. They were just sniffing around for information, like my mom said. And I had a job, so I didn't need to entertain that nonsense.

The worst was when a couple recruiters actually called my office looking for me, right after I started a brand new job. The receptionist finally asked me point blank why I had recruiters calling me at my job!

I couldn't explain it, and I didn't want my new employers to think that this was just a temporary gig for me. After some thought, I realized that my LinkedIn profile said that I was open to new opportunities.

I'd had that checked off for years without incident. I guess that when the economy was in the tank, it wasn't a big deal because no one was looking. But when the economy picked up, recruiters really seized on that stuff. So, I unchecked the box.

I thought that calling me at my job was beyond brazen. They could have totally jeopardized my employment.

Anyway, about a year later, I had to field measure an office space for future renovation. It was a head-hunter office and it was filled with people sitting at desks, cold calling people for job opportunities!

Recruiters!

It was really funny being a fly on the wall in that environment. They're all right out of college, maybe 25-30 years old, no real experience. But when they're on the other side of the phone, you don't know that and they sound like they could actually be authorities on the matter.

Well, they're not authorities! They're just a bunch of kids in a holding pen, trying to make a buck.
    This was really interesting to read, I always dealt with professional recruiters, this was an exception I guess

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    How did this recruiter come across you? Hopefully you have a LinkedIn profile with a good head shot, your education, experience, affiliations, etc listed as well as an up to date resume on hand if you are looking for jobs. Particularly if you are looking to relocate.

Make sure you upload your contact lists and start making "connections" with friends, coworkers, former coworkers, alumni, etc. Try to apply for positions directly with the companies you are interested in. Unfortunately many recruiters are not much better than used car salesmen.
    I applied for a job, then he contacted me via phone and email, and he also viewed my profile on LinkedIn. I believe my profile is pretty good, all information is updated, the photo is a standard one. This wasn't a random recruiter, I was actually interested in the job, but his behavior was strange, usually recruiters are nice and flexible, not passive-aggressive.

Platinum Member
    I was a recruiter for two years. Many years ago pre-internet. Loved my job and yes our true clients were the employers. Common knowledge. I believe I acted ethically at all times as did my boss. She was in the business for over 30 years (retired now). Great reputation and well-deserved. She even placed me once and also my husband. When I looked for part time work in 2014-16 I almost went back to recruiting but thought better of it. I had mixed experiences with recruiters at that time -mostly flakiness. I'm sorry this happened!

My Android phone doesn't have a Sloth emoji

That's an outrage.🦥 Return it.
    My Android phone doesn't have a Sloth emoji

That's an outrage.🦥 Return it.
    Does your phone have it?

It's an app not phone thing. It depends on what app/browser you are using. Make sure your phone and apps are up to date. Google "update emojis on android".
    Does your phone have it?

It's an app not phone thing. It depends on what app/browser you are using. Make sure your phone and apps are up to date. Google "update emojis on android".
    Ok, thank you, had no idea about this

Give Advice
Ask For Advice