Am heavy allergic to feather (and things such as cat but still not same extreme)

glipped in my home again Iguess about 30 feather and parts yesterday evening with my socks, clothes, wig, shoes after visiting a friend with feather cushions etc even while we put them out of the room there are loads of single left-over ones and some cat hairs on the stairs etc while it is cat of the parents not living there. Anyone knows if allergy to feather ends after it has been in washing machine? I guess it does not. Also, both the cat hairs as feathers stayed in the clothing material very often (when I empty the laundry machine) which makes even more annoyed about the problem. More cleansing tips also for floors etcetera are welcome too. Have been ill till 4 in the morning and phoned night Doctor. Usually it takes me 3 days to figure out where each feather in the home is to find so I can remove it. If not my mouth and throat are itching like hell and heavy lung problems and some headache of having less oxiden and unable to drink even with a straw. With my CFS illness I am having an immunity as low as cancer during chemotherapy and as AIDS last stade. Thank you so much.

it was night when I called and I think if this keeps on going patients usually don´t have enough with antihistamin and Ventolin but pulmicort and antibiotics as well. I cleaned for 10 hours but maybe I should start a topic at Communication Conflicts/Questions too. I love the boy and he seems to love me as well but no matter how I explain this it seems to go one ear in and other ear out. In my opinion he should throw away the feather items to pleasure me and bring my health safety. It are his parents who bought his stuff and clean his home and cook his food I guess he is very or too submissive, not having much to say, to decide or decided it to stop my problem.

Wherever there are allergy items in a house, they can be removed if you get a good quality air purifier with a HEPA filter. It takes out allergens and dust in the air by sucking them up so people aren't breathing them in. They filter out dust, pet dander, and other particles in the air. There are tons of models on the market, I'm not sure what you can order in Belgium, but I'm sure you can find a way to order online or in stores with good quality. Do your research online on customer reviews (Amazon) and compare prices. Major point: good quality with a good HEPA filter. Be prepared that they are not cheap little gadgets, but once you buy them you only need to replace the filter every few months to couple of years and it's not very expensive (depends on how often you use the machine).

You should have one in your own home and he should have one in his (or at least his room, wherever you spend most of the time with him). Make sure the machine you get covers the right size of square feet in your living space.

If his parents do and get everything for him, don't expect him to put you first -- he feels obligated to his parents to please them, and maybe he also has other emotional reasons he's attached to these items. Sounds like he is a troubled adult, a man who has not grown up. Grown men stand up for what they want to do/say, and healthy family relationships do not involve parents taking care of their children as if they were still CHILDREN, unless those children have some kind of disability requiring parental caregiving.

You can also try going over there with a dust mask on. See if that's something he might pay attention to.

Also, do not take antibiotics for an allergy. It's the wrong medication and will mess up your intestines, which is one major aggravating factor with CFS.

Yes, check the brand and google it. Make sure you find out all the things it cleans the air of (dust, pet dander, mold spores, etc.) -- they should have a company website (if it doesn't, I would question the company reputation). It should have a HEPA filter that states it removes a minimum of 99.97% of particles that are .3 microns in size. That is the MINIMUM requirement to be a good HEPA filter. A good quality company and machine will give you the specifics spelled out.

Also, as I repeat, you should make sure it is enough for all your living space. The square feet they say it covers is usually not enough, if you have a lot of furniture in your rooom(s), which makes it harder for the purified air to travel around.

One brand to look into that's considered a top-of-the-line is IQAir. I have one of those. But there are others that are cheaper and fit your specific needs for common allergens.

The dustmask WILL help you if you have it on the whole time you're cleaning so at least you're not inhaling all the allergy stuff or it lessens the effect at least. You need a filter on your face if you're cleaning such things.

You should also be taking a lot of oral probiotics of a high quality -- good bacteria in the intestine are very important for a strong immune system. They're learning more and more about that every day.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Archived