Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Last movie you watched?, Part 2

Ac143

I'm on an 80s movies kick when I want to unwind and zone out.

Watched "Big" for the first time. Cute.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but for anyone else who is sensitive to certain things in movies, I highly recommend Common Sense Media. It's meant to be for parents and kids, but does the job for me in letting me know if a movie has things I want to avoid.

At Middleton

I admit I laughed a few times and seeing Andy Garcia, Vera Farmiga and her sister, Taissa Farmiga, on screen together was a delight until the plot devolved and seemed to go sideways in a winding cover perhaps of an older French film. That they were both married in loveless relationships and falling in love with each other seemed to disturb me. I wonder if this is a polite inquiry into loveless relationships. I watched to the end.

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Interesting. Very Tarantino-esque. Liam Neeson is great. The others are a bit cheesy/boring.

Retaliation (2020)

I had no idea Orlando Bloom had it in him but this movie had me reeling. Trigger, warning: child abuse. Made my heart hurt. I was exhausted after watching this.

Grandma (2015)

I love Lily Tomlin. But why does the hysterical woman always have to make an appearance in order to garner more ratings. It was more or less lighthearted but it felt like I went in for a fast food cheeseburger when I was planning for something more nourishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman Returns (1992)

I didn't remember it as well as I remembered the first one, although I'm positive I watched it numerous times when I was a kid.

It was... odd. Tim Burton clearly had a limited budget this time around, and prioritized big names like Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Walken in lieu of other considerations. It made for a lopsided movie because the acting was good, but the movie sets were distractingly bad. They would have been fine for Beetlejuice (great movie btw), but they just didn't cut it for Batman.

One scene that I enjoyed was where Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle recognized each other while dancing at a party. I'm quite proud that I pegged that tango as a Siouxie and the Banshees creation--I don't really know her lexicon; it just seemed like it was her.

9 hours ago, Jibralta said:

I'm quite proud that I pegged that tango as a Siouxie and the Banshees creation--I don't really know her lexicon; it just seemed like it was her.

That's not why I enjoyed the scene, by the way. I just thought it was a cool scene.

2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Robin Williams at his finest.

I've noticed that some comedians, when they take a "serious" role, are often better actors than non-comedians.

• Like 1