Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

The female roles in so many TV shows and movies are embarrassing. Rewatching some of the movies that I watched as a kid often makes me wince.... Pretty Woman comes to mind at the moment, but there are countless others.... I saw a video where they re-cast some of the scenes from Pretty Woman using a man in Julia Robert's role. That was really uncomfortable to watch, lol. But it was so eye-opening. Made me realize that it was more acceptable to watch a woman in those situations than a man. Made me wonder why and how that is...

When I first started dating my boyfriend, he told me about the Bechdel Test and showed me this short video about it. I was really blown away. I mean, I always knew that I didn't relate to the female characters in movies, but I didn't understand why (or how valid my sense of actually alienation was/is) until I saw this video:

Thank you for sharing this.

Yes.

I completely agree. It depends on my mood. Sometimes the actors/actresses are attractive so I succumb and go along with it but probably don't pay attention to the storyline. I also relate more to the male characters than the female characters. I don't know if you know what I mean. Your boyfriend is a keeper.

I also have trouble with period shows like Mad Men and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel whom I found nothing marvelous about as her social class and endless parental support already elevated her and separated her from many women who don't have the same but are forced to survive or make difficult choices. Probably a personality clash also.

Fleabag on Amazon Prime vid made me laugh. This one was gritty enough for me to appreciate and hail 5 stars.

Thank you for sharing this.

Yes.

I completely agree. It depends on my mood. Sometimes the actors/actresses are attractive so I succumb and go along with it but probably don't pay attention to the storyline. I also relate more to the male characters than the female characters. I don't know if you know what I mean. Your boyfriend is a keeper.

I also have trouble with period shows like Mad Men and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel whom I found nothing marvelous about as her social class and endless parental support already elevated her and separated her from many women who don't have the same but are forced to survive or make difficult choices. Probably a personality clash also.

Fleabag on Amazon Prime vid made me laugh. This one was gritty enough for me to appreciate and hail 5 stars.

Loved Fleabag!

The flip side of this is male characters have long since been casted as the bumbling, annoying husband in sitcoms.

Loved Fleabag!

The flip side of this is male characters have long since been casted as the bumbling, annoying husband in sitcoms.

So true. I guess the comedy has to have some general appeal.

Fleabag was good. Does anyone know any other shows that are similar? I seem to gravitate towards the British shows and thinking of subscribing to Acorn TV and ending the Amazon Prime subscription.

I also relate more to the male characters than the female characters. I don't know if you know what I mean.

I do know what you mean, and actually when I was a small child I portrayed myself as a man in some of the self portrait assignments that we had in school. It probably confused the hell out of my teachers and my mom, but nobody ever gave me crap about it. I think in my innocent mind, I saw men doing the kinds things that I wanted to do, not women. Therefore, I was a man.

Over the last few years, I started re-reading a lot of the books that I read when I was a child. I was surprised to find that most of them involved a strong female protagonist. Like, brutally strong. It was a bit of a revelation because I never considered myself a feminist and in fact had deep misgivings about femininity and felt hostility towards the whole feminist movement for most of my life. But as I get older, experience has changed my understanding.

TI also have trouble with period shows like Mad Men and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel whom I found nothing marvelous about as her social class and endless parental support already elevated her and separated her from many women who don't have the same but are forced to survive or make difficult choices. Probably a personality clash also.

I have never watched Mad Men for exactly the reasons you describe. Just like I don't watch Jerry Springer and shows like that. I don't like to see people behave like asses. I just don't want to see it.

I have to say though, I think The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is pretty good. It was a bit of a hurdle to get past the first few episodes, but it's actually quite an interesting show. I really like the writing.

I watched the first episode of Fleabag the other day. Looks promising. I've been wanting to watch it for a couple of years, but it just finally popped up on my Prime queue.

I really loved Inside Amy Schumer when that was on. It tackled a lot of these issues and was often uncomfortable to watch. But wickedly funny.

I do know what you mean, and actually when I was a small child I portrayed myself as a man in some of the self portrait assignments that we had in school. It probably confused the hell out of my teachers and my mom, but nobody ever gave me crap about it. I think in my innocent mind, I saw men doing the kinds things that I wanted to do, not women. Therefore, I was a man.

Over the last few years, I started re-reading a lot of the books that I read when I was a child. I was surprised to find that most of them involved a strong female protagonist. Like, brutally strong. It was a bit of a revelation because I never considered myself a feminist and in fact had deep misgivings about femininity and felt hostility towards the whole feminist movement for most of my life. But as I get older, experience has changed my understanding.

I have never watched Mad Men for exactly the reasons you describe. Just like I don't watch Jerry Springer and shows like that. I don't like to see people behave like asses. I just don't want to see it.

I have to say though, I think The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is pretty good. It was a bit of a hurdle to get past the first few episodes, but it's actually quite an interesting show. I really like the writing.

I watched the first episode of Fleabag the other day. Looks promising. I've been wanting to watch it for a couple of years, but it just finally popped up on my Prime queue.

I really loved Inside Amy Schumer when that was on. It tackled a lot of these issues and was often uncomfortable to watch. But wickedly funny.

Yes, I can relate. I also resisted a lot of feminist takes when I was younger but I think it's because feminism has also been evolving over the years. I think people need to know that there's nothing embarrassing about being called a feminist and it's not at all about valuing one sex over another. Personally, what interests me the most are crossovers between race, class and gender norms or inequalities. Breaking down those barriers are invaluable especially in talks about inclusion and acceptance. I will check out Inside Amy Schumer. I liked her in some of her comedies but also feel a bit like some of the comedy takes are reminiscent of Margaret Cho.

I only discovered Fleabag earlier this year when I finally jumped on the Prime vid bandwagon but not so sold on any of the other movies/shows. Watched Fleabag start to finish for a week or two. Enjoyed it a lot.

I somehow got my hands on the book 'Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered' by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff. It's a lot deeper and more intelligent than I thought it would be. I was worried it'd be another bland how-to. I read half the book in one day last week in one sitting and I haven't done that for years. I haven't heard their podcast so I've probably been living under a rock for awhile but you may have already heard about them. Very easy to read and follow and there's some wit and spunk there albeit a little exaggerated but I'm enjoying the overall messages especially to young women.

I somehow got my hands on the book 'Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered' by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff. It's a lot deeper and more intelligent than I thought it would be. I was worried it'd be another bland how-to. I read half the book in one day last week in one sitting and I haven't done that for years. I haven't heard their podcast so I've probably been living under a rock for awhile but you may have already heard about them. Very easy to read and follow and there's some wit and spunk there albeit a little exaggerated but I'm enjoying the overall messages especially to young women.

Haven't heard of them, but I will check them out. The title is great.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8554813/Junk-food-TV-adverts-BANNED-9pm-watershed.html

Interesting. Something positive. I don't even need research to support my opinion about training and how it solves almost all the problems. Well, saving your life from Covid is more than enough reason to start training properly and cut junk food. I don't think people would like it though.

Imagine if the government makes sugar illegal one day. Damn, that would be fun, we would have the next French revolution.

Lots of energy today.I had to release it. 1,5 hours of weight lifting(high reps) and 4 hours of walking.Maybe I should start doing marathons. I thought you had less energy as you get older...?

Energy levels have a lot to do with a person's diet and mental state. I have more energy now than I did when I was younger mostly due to different choices. Go for those marathons! My brother is a die-hard marathon runner and triathlete despite a bone condition. He inspires me a lot and I absolutely worship him. Do it!