Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

Taken from https://www.t-nation.com/training/question-of-power-4

Fat Loss Without Accountability

Q: I want to eat better and exercise more. How do I flip the mental switch to make the right decisions when I'm alone and there's no accountability other than me? My mind is my worst enemy.

A: A friend of mine has a great quote about this: "Every meal is a short-term investment in how you feel and perform, a mid-term investment in how you look, and a long-term investment in your freedom from disease."

Sure, accountability is powerful. But ultimately it's within those times of freedom that reveal what we desire most. If someone is only faithful to their partner when their partner is around to keep them accountable, but cheats when they aren't, then that freedom is revealing a level of dysfunction – their inability to forgo fleeting gratification at the expense of a committed relationship.

People don't end up in amazing shape by accident. They end up there because they make decisions that are congruent with what they say they desire most. And they do this on a consistent basis. They're able to sacrifice the temporary pleasures for a determined greater good.

The person who looks great naked got there because of all the little decisions they made on a meal by meal, day by day, week by week, and month by month basis. This resulted in achieving a rocking bod.

They were able to repeatedly forgo the temporary pleasure they'd get from say, a plate of 18,456 calorie nachos, and in the long term it paid off. You believe your mind is your enemy but it can actually become your strongest weapon. It all depends on how you're mentally framing the things you need to do.

Instead of saying, "I can't eat 18,456 calorie nachos" say, "I choose to eat foods that will transform me into a sexy beast instead of nachos."

Instead of saying, "I really want to eat Oreos until I hate myself" say, "I'm choosing this healthy meal because I'm investing in my life, my goals, and myself."

Ultimately you have to decide if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze. There's a reason why not everyone can get single-digit lean. And it's not because they don't have some physiological problem standing in their way. It's because they too often accept the short-term pleasures that circumvent the long-term process needed for results.

Now there's no magic or instantaneous trick that'll make you suddenly disciplined. But there are some small things you can do, along with your internal reframing, that can make the process of avoiding junk food slightly easier.

Cucumbers and tomatoes are a great "get me by" snack that are super-low in calories and can help tide you over between meals. If they keep you from getting hungry and splurging on office cookies, then that's a win.

Carbonated diet drinks can help curb your appetite without any additional calories.

If you're using protein shakes between meals or as part of meeting protein requirements, use a blender or NutriBullet and blend them longer than usual. This will froth them up with air which takes up more space in your stomach and can help to increase satiation.

Examine your food selections and make note of how long you feel satiated after each meal. Some will satiate you longer than others. So if you notice that certain meals have short satiation times, then experiment with other food sources that tend to have a greater effect on satiation.

Taken from https://www.t-nation.com/training/question-of-power-4

Fat Loss Without Accountability

Q: I want to eat better and exercise more. How do I flip the mental switch to make the right decisions when I'm alone and there's no accountability other than me? My mind is my worst enemy.

A: A friend of mine has a great quote about this: "Every meal is a short-term investment in how you feel and perform, a mid-term investment in how you look, and a long-term investment in your freedom from disease."

Sure, accountability is powerful. But ultimately it's within those times of freedom that reveal what we desire most. If someone is only faithful to their partner when their partner is around to keep them accountable, but cheats when they aren't, then that freedom is revealing a level of dysfunction – their inability to forgo fleeting gratification at the expense of a committed relationship.

People don't end up in amazing shape by accident. They end up there because they make decisions that are congruent with what they say they desire most. And they do this on a consistent basis. They're able to sacrifice the temporary pleasures for a determined greater good.

The person who looks great naked got there because of all the little decisions they made on a meal by meal, day by day, week by week, and month by month basis. This resulted in achieving a rocking bod.

They were able to repeatedly forgo the temporary pleasure they'd get from say, a plate of 18,456 calorie nachos, and in the long term it paid off. You believe your mind is your enemy but it can actually become your strongest weapon. It all depends on how you're mentally framing the things you need to do.

Instead of saying, "I can't eat 18,456 calorie nachos" say, "I choose to eat foods that will transform me into a sexy beast instead of nachos."

Instead of saying, "I really want to eat Oreos until I hate myself" say, "I'm choosing this healthy meal because I'm investing in my life, my goals, and myself."

Ultimately you have to decide if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze. There's a reason why not everyone can get single-digit lean. And it's not because they don't have some physiological problem standing in their way. It's because they too often accept the short-term pleasures that circumvent the long-term process needed for results.

Now there's no magic or instantaneous trick that'll make you suddenly disciplined. But there are some small things you can do, along with your internal reframing, that can make the process of avoiding junk food slightly easier.

Cucumbers and tomatoes are a great "get me by" snack that are super-low in calories and can help tide you over between meals. If they keep you from getting hungry and splurging on office cookies, then that's a win.

Carbonated diet drinks can help curb your appetite without any additional calories.

If you're using protein shakes between meals or as part of meeting protein requirements, use a blender or NutriBullet and blend them longer than usual. This will froth them up with air which takes up more space in your stomach and can help to increase satiation.

Examine your food selections and make note of how long you feel satiated after each meal. Some will satiate you longer than others. So if you notice that certain meals have short satiation times, then experiment with other food sources that tend to have a greater effect on satiation.

Well said.

I believe we behave in a way that is consistent with what we want. not what we think we want. I want to look like x and eat like y. My wants are in conflict because I want the win without making the effort. Every now and again i forget my lesson - that I need and that I want to eat right - and I eat sugar in many forms. I feel it, remember my lesson, and return yo path.

Acceptance is my friend: yes I DO have limits, and no I don't have superpowers. This is how my body works. Eat greens and proteins and carbs will end up in my body by osmosis. Exercise. Celebrate that habit and not the result.

Stealing your friends' quote.

"Every meal is a short-term investment in how you feel and perform, a mid-term investment in how you look, and a long-term investment in your freedom from disease."

Fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...

The plethora of one and done copy/pasted posts plastered on all sorts of forums is making people lose interest in replying to threads. That combined with the other trend of starting a thread for advice and flaming everyone who responds objectively rather than whatever they want to hear. These two trends seem to be related.👎🙄😧

• 2 weeks later...
See... no one wants to talk about pooping... I killed this thread!

I knew (past tense!) so many people who talked about pooping constantly. One of them was my old boss, and she would go into specifics. I was screaming internally for the two months I had to work there, and I knew what was happening to her internally far better than I'd care to.

I had one coworker who was obsessed with comparing everything to wiping a baby's butt. I swear if you asked her (not that anyone ever asked her anything, she was volunteering opinions throughout the shift) how you code in c++, she'd go "just like wiping a baby's butt!!" - and proceeded to explain how you wipe a baby's butt, every time!

Oh and there was that guy with perpetual explosive infectious diarrhea who kept us up to date on his bms too.

Not enough lysol in the world...

Seriously, there's therapy for those kinds of anal fixations. I cringed just remembering all the unasked for poop talk.

I knew (past tense!) so many people who talked about pooping constantly. One of them was my old boss, and she would go into specifics. I was screaming internally for the two months I had to work there, and I knew what was happening to her internally far better than I'd care to.

I had one coworker who was obsessed with comparing everything to wiping a baby's butt. I swear if you asked her (not that anyone ever asked her anything, she was volunteering opinions throughout the shift) how you code in c++, she'd go "just like wiping a baby's butt!!" - and proceeded to explain how you wipe a baby's butt, every time!

Oh and there was that guy with perpetual explosive infectious diarrhea who kept us up to date on his bms too.

Not enough lysol in the world...

Seriously, there's therapy for those kinds of anal fixations. I cringed just remembering all the unasked for poop talk.

Hahaha come to my house.... I have a 5 and 3 year old pair of sisters in my daycare who talk about poop on a daily basis. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It warms my heart there are still people out there trying to build community spirit. The couple close to me with a free little library have now put out free produce from their garden for the neighbourhood to take as they need. Others are bringing their extras, and books, and it's turned into this cute lil community connection.

And her peppers and beans are amazing! Such a sweet lady.