Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

If I can chime in about marathons. I have heard advice about improving energy levels and such.

I recently completed a century on a road bicycle. It was super tough, but with training and nutrition and a few steps it really makes a difference.

Before any big exercise, the week before eat very well. Skip the stuff you know isn't good for you.

Morning of the event: load up on carbs. pasta, oatmeal, etc.

15 minutes of stretching the involved muscles.

Gatorade during the event. I used to avoid it because I thought the sugar was not healthy, but I swear by it now.

After the event:

(this is a new one for me and it helped tremendously) You may think you have drank enough water/gatorade during the event, but now is the time to drink tons of liquid. try a couple of bottles!

15 minutes of stretching.

Then extend your feet and legs on a wall and hold them their for about 10 minutes. You may even feel the blood draining down your legs.

Then, (and I really like this step) go into a dark quiet room and have a 30 minute nap (set a timer).

After this post-event stuff, you will have recovered nicely from the event and good to go for the rest of the day!

I just want my freakin flyers people. Now i am chasing Fedex. They claim they tried to deliver the parcel but there was nobody. They don't know we have cameras in the building and we know that nobody came. Come on...

• 2 weeks later...

I was deep thinking willy wonka and the chocolate factory. The whole point of the movie is Willy Wonka longing for a family IMO. Oompa Loompas spoke a different language and Mr. Slugworth was a business associate. When he met Charlie Bucket and Grandpa Joe he got everything he ever wanted. The climax of the movie was when Grandpa Joe stood up to Willy Wonka and told him what he was doing was wrong. Especially to a little kid that admired him.

• 2 weeks later...
I was deep thinking willy wonka and the chocolate factory. The whole point of the movie is Willy Wonka longing for a family IMO. Oompa Loompas spoke a different language and Mr. Slugworth was a business associate. When he met Charlie Bucket and Grandpa Joe he got everything he ever wanted. The climax of the movie was when Grandpa Joe stood up to Willy Wonka and told him what he was doing was wrong. Especially to a little kid that admired him.

It was interesting how Charlie Bucket was extremely poor yet had the very thing Willy Wonka longed for.

Money isn't everything? But now Charlie will have the money AND the family. And Willy told him to never lose what made him special, his innocence and his sense of wonder. Nice lessons.

Jack Albertson is in another of my favorite films, the original Poseidon Adventure (I won't watch the cheezy remake with Fergie). My kids and I love him.

It was interesting how Charlie Bucket was extremely poor yet had the very thing Willy Wonka longed for.

Money isn't everything? But now Charlie will have the money AND the family. And Willy told him to never lose what made him special, his innocence and his sense of wonder. Nice lessons..

The entire movie is basically a guide to living a good life. Don't be greedy, spoiled, or rude like most of the children. Carry I good heart and dream big like Charlie. And don't be afraid to have an imagination and think outside the box like Wonka. Many of Wonka's lines come out of nowhere but are actually pretty deep.

"Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted. He lived happily ever after."

Eeeehhhh....that's been Apple from day one way back in the day - a closed ecosystem that only Apple controls. Will be interesting to see how that works out. The lawsuit with Fortnite is interesting for sure. Deep pockets on both sides.

I am pretty sure Apple and most giant companies have flagrantly broken the law many many times. However, Apple just took it to another level. They basically force you to add in-app purchases so they can get their 30% pimping fee. It's outrageous. So what was the work-around for this problem? Like Netflix, many apps initially tried to redirect the users to their website for account registration and upgrades so they can avoid the 30% fee. Problem is, Apple does not let you redirect the users (you can't say "please visit our website" - yeah censorship) and does not let anyone create a marketplace like Applestore. What do you do then? You don't mention anything and you let the users figure it out on their own. So now, Apple enforces in-app transactions willy-nilly (Wordpress example in the video). No wonder why Apple is a 2 trillion dollars company (and it only has 40% of the American market, imagine what would happen if it had the monopoly). Everyone who collaborated with Steve Jobs said he was the biggest a**hole ever. Given that the culture of a company is created by its founders and CEOs, these pimping tactics were to be expected.

Now as a consumer you would think why do I have to care about all these things, developers will pay the 30% fee. Nope. The 30% is shifted to the consumers. Your subscription on Netflix is 30% more expensive if you buy it from Applestore than Netflix’s website.

Do I personally care? Nope, I do not use iPhones except for development and my mobile app will never have enough users to actually make money. I am just saying….do not use iPhones.

That's too bad. I was thinking of returning the ear wax removers. I used it and it removed a bit too much wax. Not what I expected.

lol It was just a small gift I wanted to give a friend, a small pendant. I think I'll return it. I know another place that sells something nicer.

I'm driving the other day and I hear the ominous alarm sound from my car. So I get to a red light and look down. My wiper fluid was low :upset: And it wouldn't shut up until I acknowledged it.

Problem is the car makes the same alarm sound whether it's the wiper fluid running low or a tire gone flat or the engine has a problem. So I always immediately think it's something dire. There should be levels of alarms for levels of car issues. Or something.

I'm driving the other day and I hear the ominous alarm sound from my car. So I get to a red light and look down. My wiper fluid was low :upset: And it wouldn't shut up until I acknowledged it.

Problem is the car makes the same alarm sound whether it's the wiper fluid running low or a tire gone flat or the engine has a problem. So I always immediately think it's something dire. There should be levels of alarms for levels of car issues. Or something.

Something similar happened to me last week in my work truck. But I only got a 'ding.' No indicator light came on to tell me what the problem was.

That truck had already stalled three times over the last two weeks, so the phantom 'ding' was both frustrating and ominous. Yes, I know there's a problem with the engine. Please tell me what it is so that I can have it fixed!!!!!

Sure enough, the truck stalled out again, this time while we were on a highway going 60 mph with traffic behind us. Thankfully, I felt the engine go right away and was able to pull the truck over to the side of the road even as the steering cut out. THANKFULLY, the road had shoulders that I could pull off onto.

Spent about five hours at the mechanic the next day and the truck is still up there waiting for parts. Not sure what I'll be driving today.

Yikes Jibralta, that is scary!

Mine at least tells me what the issue is. But it's frightening when you hear that ding and can't safely look down. So here I am thinking I have ANOTHER flat (8 in the past few years!!) or the engine or transmission is ready to let go.

• 2 weeks later...