Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

This song has become one of my theme songs over the years. A lot of people think it's about an abusive relationship. I've never looked up what it's actually about because I don't want to know. To me it's about mental illness. Like, the relationship a person has with their illness. I have personified my OCD, and this song really captures how I feel about that personification.

Slayer

Angel of Death

This song came on the radio the other day* and I felt a stab of embarrassment when I remembered that I submitted its lyrics for my 10th grade history assignment.

Well, the song is about the Holocaust....

But oy vey, the adult me sometimes looks back on the child me and shakes her head, lol.

Still a good song, though.

*We have a college radio station that, in terms of music programming, only plays heavy metal. It's been this way for the last 30+ years.

Speaking of Janie's got a Gun....

This song came out when I was around 12 or 13. The song and the video bring back a certain nostalgie.

Aerosmith's guitarist is really interesting. Everything he does just fits into the music. But when you single him out, you think, "Wow, that's a really weird thing to play."

Yes, yes, yes!

Love the song, and love the video. :)

I've been a Meatloaf fan since I was a teenager. Still am. The words in his love songs just get to me. Powerful.

It is a powerful song. Although I always wondered what it was that he wouldn't do. Now, with the internet, I was able to find out:

1. forget the way you feel right now

2. forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight

3. do it better than I do it with you

4. stop dreaming of you every night of my life

Apparently, I wasn't the only one with this question. According to Wikipedia, Meat Loaf explained this on stage using a blackboard and a pointing stick in a 1998 VH1 Storytellers special.

Another powerful one is "Two out of Three Ain't Bad." My sister was the real Meatloaf fan in our house. But I liked some of the songs. On one of my mix tapes, I took the prelude from "You took the Words Right Out of my Mouth" (the spoken dialogue part where he says, "On a hot summer night Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?") and then recorded "Two out of Three Ain't Bad" right after that. The effect was amazing. Made everything so sad....